• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Shooting Club

A classic mistake any business can make is setting its prices by determining what it "needs" and setting the fees accordingly. If you bypass the step of doing a market analysis, and determining what people are willing to pay, you may end up with a viable pricing structure but no customers.

A friend had a software product he was trying to sell, but got no customers since he used "I need" based pricing rather than "market pricing". A newer generation product that does the same thing was introduced by someone else later as freeware (with plans for premium options) and has been building up a large user base.

Similarly, was the location chosen based on demographic analysis (number of LTC holders in surrounding towns, traffic infrastructure to support customers from a bit further away than local, etc.), or was it because "the principals live near the location, plus we were able to get the lot here"?

I wish them the best, but it seems like a high risk venture from a financial perspective.

Last edited:
A classic mistake any business can make is setting its prices by determining what it "needs" and setting the fees accordingly. If you bypass the step of doing a market analysis, and determining what people are willing to pay, you may end up with a viable pricing structure but no customers.

A friend had a software product he was trying to sell, but got no customers since he used "I need" based pricing rather than "market pricing". A newer generation product that does the same thing was introduced by someone else later as freeware (with plans for premium options) and has been building up a large user base.

I was thinking something similar. The people who are well off enough to pay $2,500 + $5,000 + $70 p/month ($8,340 total) or say pay for a "VIP" or "Corporate" membership have to have money. We're talking close to $10,000 to shoot at a range before factoring in the price of guns, ammo and training (MA req'd at bare minimum to get a carry permit). Most well off people in eastern Mass are probably rather liberal. There are gun guys who are very well off with $5000 to $whatever guns, say skeet/trap/SC shooters, but they're going to want real facilities.

I find a range that's A) measured in metric B) almost $10,000 p/year for one person and C) lacking of any outdoor facilities to be an abomination to the Lord and an insult to gun owners in the area.

There are a lot of rich guys in Weston who are gun owners.

The thing is though, it seems they're trying to sell to corporations and the very rich who can afford the VIP membership. Are corporation owners going to pay for membership of an indoor range to impress some client? We're not talking about Green Monstah seats or a box at a game in Foxborough, we're talking a yearly membership at a range, with its own existence being a political topic. Most people don't have a political ax to grind against the NFL, but guns are different.

Cheaper than many golf courses. Many guys at a club I was involved with would drop 10K without batting an eye. Many of them did for projects they felt strong about.

The thing is though, it seems they're trying to sell to corporations and the very rich who can afford the VIP membership. Are corporation owners going to pay for membership of an indoor range to impress some client? We're not talking about Green Monstah seats or a box at a game in Foxborough, we're talking a yearly membership at a range, with its own existence being a political topic. Most people don't have a political ax to grind against the NFL, but guns are different.

I've met a number of rich guys from Weston who own guns, like to go shooting, and have gun club memberships. I don't doubt that some of them wouldn't blink an eye at $10k for an upscale club. The monthly cost for their golf club and yacht club memberships far exceeds that.

There are plenty of people in proximity that have that kind of cash to throw around.
The question of course is will they?
I base it off of the dinning places in the area that have come and gone.
There was one right in the same town a few years ago that thought they would survive on the "Upscale" customers from the area.
Sunk a ton of money into the place, real nice job , the place looked sharp.
Real nice but very pricey menu, cheapest thing on the menu was about $26.00 IIRC .
The guys running it had visions of a place full of three piece suits.
Upscale place, upscale food, and it was gone in a year.

Being that it's somewhat of a novelty they might pull it off, but it's going to be an expensive crap shoot.

I didn't realize that being able to afford a 10K club while arriving in my Aston or Bentley was a crime.

I know many gun owners and some of them fit that model. Some are DB's and others dress and talk just like me.

Not all rich people suck.

There are plenty of people in proximity that have that kind of cash to throw around. The question of course is will they? I base it off of the dinning places in the area that have come and gone. There was one right in the same town a few years ago that thought they would survive on the "Upscale" customers from the area. Sunk a ton of money into the place, real nice job , the place looked sharp. Real nice but very pricey menu, cheapest thing on the menu was about $26.00 IIRC . The guys running it had visions of a place full of three piece suits. Upscale place, upscale food, and it was gone in a year. Being that it's somewhat of a novelty they might pull it off, but it's going to be an expensive crap shoot.

Most restaurants fail. This might make it. It might not. Time will tell.

Was just checking out the website. Claiming it to be the premier shooting facility in the northeast is a bit silly, they must not get out much. But since it's "The brainchild of police officers" it certainly....sorry I can't stop laughing.....

Last edited:
Lot is still locked up and vacant. I would have thought construction would be underway by now.

Was just checking out the website. Claiming it to be the premier shooting facility in the northeast is a bit silly, they must not get out much. But since it's "The brainchild of police officers" it certainly....sorry I can't stop laughing.....

So it's going to screw over customers with high prices, have crappy and slow and rude service, sell you "limited" products from their "list of approved firearms" and mace customers who have gripes?

Cheaper than many golf courses. Many guys at a club I was involved with would drop 10K without batting an eye. Many of them did for projects they felt strong about.

No question that some can easily afford this club.

The real questions are:

- Will enough people pay up in advance so that they can make it happen?

- Will enough people continue to pay up annually to allow the place to continue to exist?

Time will tell . . .

Len -

You missed a couple of questions:

- If the place does not happen, will people get their "escrowed" fees back?

- Are the principals backing the obligations personally or is there a corporate veil?

Len -

You missed a couple of questions:

- If the place does not happen, will people get their "escrowed" fees back?

- Are the principals backing the obligations personally or is there a corporate veil?

I'll bet that they won't or get back only a small amount of what they paid. They would likely pull a bankruptcy in that case, and folks would get scraps at best.

You can bet that they have a corporate veil to avoid personal responsibility.

No question that some can easily afford this club.

The real questions are:

- Will enough people pay up in advance so that they can make it happen?

- Will enough people continue to pay up annually to allow the place to continue to exist?

Time will tell . . .
The Hero membership seems pretty reasonable for what you get. The others not so much but people will probably pay for it. So cops get a cheap place to shoot and wealthy badge bunnies get a place to be themselves.

What a scam, their initial pitch is just insulting. They're basically seeking investors to fund the whole project but give back no equity or interest in return, just the first year membership free AND they keep the principal. Absolute joke, these guys look like amateur clowns even considering offering this to the public. If the pre-construction fees were small then you can somewhat swallow the idea, but who the hell is gonna fork over $2.5-5K to these bozos without any info on their background, physical proof that they're actually building the facility, or reward on what amounts as an investment or loan beyond a year membership??

Haha f*ck that, good luck.

Ahh, crowdfunding. The 21st century way to start a business without accepting any personal risk.

They've got great big eyes, a website, and a maybe even a vision. Their stock photo choices are on point. What they apparently don't have is funding, land, or anything physical other than an office nearby.

According to this, the property is still for sale:
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/ma/ipswich/59-turnpike-rd/pid_790328/

I was excited about this club too when I first noticed the sign as I live two minutes away until I emailed and they sent pricing. Ridiculous! If you join now before the place is even built, the initiation fee is $2,500 with a $70/month membership fee (standard membership). If you wait until it opens (if it ever does) the initiation fee is $5,000 plus the $70/month membership fee. I'll stick with Georgetown Fish and Game at $200/year.

I've actually known a couple of otherwise intelligent people who bought those cancers.

Umm, I resemble that remark. It was great for a number of years until the developer was caught stealing it into bankruptcy. I did get a tax deduction in the end for donating them to charity.

Everyone I have a great idea. I'm starting an exclusive VIP membership only restaurant business. I have found a location for sale and am selling pre-construction memberships at $2,500 each, as it will go to $5,000 when it opens. This registration fee enrolls you as an exclusive member to this exclusive luxury restaurant. I'm a generous philanthropist so I won't even charge a monthly membership, you simply pay the initiation fee and for each meal as you please thereafter, no pressure at all.

Feel free to pm me with payment information as I am accepting all forms of payment asap. I have no timetable on opening but expect to open, um say, in 2018. I also need time to develop a corporate veil in case things go south. I have a nice little office in my house where the scheming takes place with cool graphics and grand plans, its all really professional. Whose in??

Everyone I have a great idea. I'm starting an exclusive VIP membership only restaurant business. I have found a location for sale and am selling pre-construction memberships at $2,500 each, as it will go to $5,000 when it opens. This registration fee enrolls you as an exclusive member to this exclusive luxury restaurant. I'm a generous philanthropist so I won't even charge a monthly membership, you simply pay the initiation fee and for each meal as you please thereafter, no pressure at all.

Feel free to pm me with payment information as I am accepting all forms of payment asap. I have no timetable on opening but expect to open, um say, in 2018. I also need time to develop a corporate veil in case things go south. I have a nice little office in my house where the scheming takes place with cool graphics and grand plans, its all really professional. Whose in??

I'm in!....

C'mon now... BSC has an actual sales office across from Patriot Arms. That makes them legit, right?

Everyone I have a great idea. I'm starting an exclusive VIP membership only restaurant business.
Someone beat you to it.

I worked in a nondescript office building just off I95 in Boca Raton, FL back around 1986. When the restaurant lon the first floor went belly up, it was replaced with "Le Club Mistique" - an exclusive dining establishment that was selling "memberships". They tried to go upscale by calling themselves a "nightclub", but it was just a restaurant.

You guessed it - pre-opening memberships at a discount, with a caution that members were not to let others who were not legit guests in, as such people would be milling about trying to get entry. They thought they if they acted like one of those "A listers only" places, that people would bite.

The only food they ever served were the munchies at a pre-opening sales event.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom