• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Shooting Club

Why open a range in Ipswich and call it the "Boston Gun Club"? Could it be that these jokers tried the same scam in Boston and got run out of town?

Why open a range in Ipswich and call it the "Boston Gun Club"? Could it be that these jokers tried the same scam in Boston and got run out of town?

In Boston it would be prohibitively expensive to construct something like this and the city would likely try to roadblock it. Why do you say it is a scam?

Well I would think it is likely because it will attract a better "clientele" than calling it Ipswich because big money has the vanity factor of wanting name recognition. Also, if you think about hotels, very often they end up named something related to the "attractive" town near them. Shit, the Marriott in Natick is called the "Courtyard Boston Natick" and there are 4 Marriott Courtyards in Boston itself!

Boston would never allow another gun range of any type, period!

What makes me not feel comfortable with this place is that there is still a for sale sign on the land. To me this implies that they have a vision but haven't the money to even buy the land. Sounds like those that buy in the high end will be bankrolling the purchase of the land. Without funding in place, the likelihood that this will get constructed as promised any time soon is pretty much a pipe-dream.

Why was the Boston Gun Range in Worcester named the Boston Gun Range? [wink]

Well I would think it is likely because it will attract a better "clientele" than calling it Ipswich because big money has the vanity factor of wanting name recognition. Also, if you think about hotels, very often they end up named something related to the "attractive" town near them. Shit, the Marriott in Natick is called the "Courtyard Boston Natick" and there are 4 Marriott Courtyards in Boston itself!
Beware of hotels with "Airport" in the name ... the can be a long cab ride from their namesake.

Anyone joining early should be aware their role is "unsecured creditor" if the facility does not open as planned. The fact that pre-construction payment is being sought is a red flag that the venture is not fully funded.

I don't see how they are going to operate a successful upscale restaurant keeping cooks, servers, etc. busy with the customers limited to those who paid $20,000 to join. (as the chart shows it available only at the VIP level). My guess is this will be delayed until/if there is a clientele.

Without funding in place, the likelihood that this will get constructed as promised any time soon is pretty much a pipe-dream.
It would be reassuring if the prepayments were held in escrow until there was enough to buy the land. There is a big risk of the prepayments being used to pay rent on their office (that shows they are not messing around according to one poster), salaries, etc. and there never being enough to by the land and build.

But then, the Weston Shooters Club did indeed deliver and I had similar thoughts about them.

Last edited:
I talked to them earlier today, one of the owners informed me that all payments would be held in escrow until funded. He also told me that no deposits would be spent on salaries or the office. They will be running safety classes starting next week at the marketing and sales office which will pay for that office.

Anyone joining early should be aware they role is "unsecured creditor" if the facility does not open as planned. The fact that pre-construction payment is being sought is a red flag that the venture is not fully funded.

I don't see how they are going to operate a successful upscale restaurant keeping cooks, servers, etc. busy with the customers limited to those who paid $20,000 to join. (as the chart shows it available only at the VIP level). My guess is this will be delayed until/if there is a clientele.

It would be reassuring if the prepayments were held in escrow until there was enough to buy the land. There is a big risk of the prepayments being used to pay rent on their office (that shows they are not messing around according to one poster), salaries, etc. and there never being enough to by the land and build.

But then, the Weston Shooters Club did indeed deliver and I had similar thoughts about them.

Scam.

Won't be opening until fall 2016...they are hoping for Sept rather than November. The club will not be 24/7, and .308 is the largest caliber allowed. the Premium membership is $5k initiation and $850/yr. The VIP is $20k and $425/mo. I have a sheet with the different membership benefits that I will post later.
Their website now says 2017

The pricing seems to suffer from a very common problem that new indoor ranges have - the owners don't really analyze what the market will bear, but instead figure out the costs and set prices based on what they "need".

Last edited:
cool only $5000 initiation fee [rofl]

They reduced it to $2500 during the pre-construction period. I'm concerned that the pre-construction agreement states that the initiation fee is non-refundable if BSC receives project funding within a year of the agreement. Ummm....shouldn't you already have your financing in order, fellas? Also, I can't see paying that much for a range that doesn't offer 24/7 access, even if it is 3 miles from my front door.

Their website now says 2017 The pricing seems to suffer from a very common problem that new indoor ranges have - the owners don't really analyze what the market will bear, but instead figure out the costs and set prices based on what they "need".

How do these prices compare to the new "public" range that opened in Weston in the last year or so? Isn't that one also expensive? It is my impression that the Weston range is doing well.

They reduced it to $2500 during the pre-construction period. I'm concerned that the pre-construction agreement states that the initiation fee is non-refundable if BSC receives project funding within a year of the agreement. Ummm....shouldn't you already have your financing in order, fellas? Also, I can't see paying that much for a range that doesn't offer 24/7 access, even if it is 3 miles from my front door.

even 2500 is insane. Maybe for rich people who like pissing money away but I'd rather spend 100-200 a year and shoot somewhere that has ranges longer than 100 yards. Being limited to 100 yards with a rifle would bet boring pretty quick if you ask me and being further limited to .308 is gay.

By soliciting money before they even open they're basically trolling for capital and not even offering you the equity in the club that they should. F that...these guys sound like a couple of douchebags if you ask me.

How do these prices compare to the new "public" range that opened in Weston in the last year or so? Isn't that one also expensive? It is my impression that the Weston range is doing well.

Weston is way cheaper. $250 initiation and $500 annual for basic plebeian membership or $2000 initiation and $500 annual for the "titanium" membership which comes with a golf shirt and a hat.

That's the funny thing, I know a few guys that shoot there and they really like it. Any "new" place is going to have a hard time siphoning those members off, and even though Weston is pistol calibers only, nobody really cares because most of the guys I know have other places to shoot rifles if they want. (not to mention, shooting rifles indoors pretty much sucks, outside of testing things here and there... )

-Mike

Nice website. But I kinda wonder about the cafe and fitness center. What is this like a Weston Club with a Salvatore's and LA FItness?

Weston is way cheaper. $250 initiation and $500 annual for basic plebeian membership or $2000 initiation and $500 annual for the "titanium" membership which comes with a golf shirt and a hat.

Pay an extra $1,750 for a golf shirt and a cap? How generous of them! [laugh]

not to mention, shooting rifles indoors pretty much sucks

Agreed. It does suck.

Some years back I took a carbine class at Smith & Wesson Academy. The entire class was indoors, at S&W in Springfield. With double hearing protection (plugs in ears, muffs on top), the AR-15 wasn't horrible indoors. But one of students had a Mini-30 -- that thing was just painful.

On one hand, Im very excited that a facility like this is being built, and its a bonus that its so close to so many of use.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people overlooked the monthly dues on top of the initial shock of the initiation fee. $70 a month is $840 a year.

For that investment, I feel like just about any shooter would be much better served joining any of the great clubs in the area, and using the remaining 2/3's on ammo and training.

By soliciting money before they even open they're basically trolling for capital and not even offering you the equity in the club that they should. F that...these guys sound like a couple of douchebags if you ask me.
Not douchebaggy at all as long as the business is up front about what they are doing. It's basically a kickstarter approach to funding a range.

As to "funds in escrow" :

- Don't rely on this unless the escrow is being held by a reputable third party like a law firm, and the contract is quite clear under what circumstances the escrow may be released. "Self escrow" is for all practical purposes worthless.

- Remember, if these guys aren't idiots (and I don't think they are), incorporation will shield them from personal liability. Depending on the way the escrow is setup, creditors *may* (emphasis "may") have a claim on that money for unpaid bills before the depositors to the escrow account get their refunds. Only an attorney can tell you with any reasonable degree of confidence.

- You need to make sure that not only may escrow not be spent until certain milestones are reached, but that the contract prohibits pledging the escrow as collateral for any obligation.

The short form is that despite "escrow claims", the money is at risk until the promised services have been delivered. Just because it is "at risk" does not mean that the owners are trying to pull any scam. It is possible for businesses to fail despite the best intentions and efforts of the principals.

Last edited:
This place will never happen. Nobody is going to pay $5000 to shoot. No way. It's not a country club. A country club is for the whole family. There are tennis courts and a golf course and a swimming pool. This is just a gun range. No way will you find enough people with that kind of money, who want to shoot, in Massachusetts.

This place will never happen. Nobody is going to pay $5000 to shoot. No way. It's not a country club. A country club is for the whole family. There are tennis courts and a golf course and a swimming pool. This is just a gun range. No way will you find enough people with that kind of money, who want to shoot, in Massachusetts.

Are you sure they won't have other activities? After all many people think "country clubs" are just a golf course. Maybe day care/camp for the kiddies and a pool next to the range would be just the ticket...

Back
Top Bottom