• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Proposes State Law Requiring Doctors to Ask About Guns In the Home

So, what is this supposed to accomplish?

The state already knows who the legal gun owners are, they know where we live, and, if they wanted to, they can find out which guns we purchased in this state (out of state guns brought in here would be different).

EDIT:

Now that I read it, I see the point ... to use this info against us and take our guns. I'm assuming they dont have a database to match gun owners to their medical records. Or maybe they can do that, but it isn't an easy/legal way. This way, the doctor just rats you out.

“This is a great way for the medical field to help identify any red-flag issues,” Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said in a briefing with reporters. “It’s to put another tool in the physician’s belt to help out the victims.”

The state already knows who the legal gun owners are, they know where we live, and, if they wanted to, they can find out which guns we purchased in this state (out of state guns brought in here would be different).

EDIT:

Now that I read it, I see the point ... to use this info against us and take our guns. I'm assuming they dont have a database to match gun owners to their medical records. Or maybe they can do that, but it isn't an easy/legal way. This way, the doctor just rats you out.
And the we must 'win by being moral' folks will still not lie. Although the same people probably fudge the how many drinks a week question.

And the we must 'win by being moral' folks will still not lie. Although the same people probably fudge the how many drinks a week question.
People need to learn to STFU and say YES or NO. But, alot of people love to advertise they have guns in the house.

There are plenty of NES threads about doctors asking the question and people give these elaborate answers ... just say NO. It is very simple.

Saying "I'm not comfortable answering ...", "I dont want to answer", "it is none of your busienss" = YES.

Repeat after me:
- Are there guns in the house?
- NO

- do you own guns?
- NO

So easy ...

Now, I am wondering ... how will the state have access to this information? Isn't it confidential?

Or will they put the doctor in a position that if he suspects you might do something he has to report you, and if he/she doesnt report you and you do something then it is his/her a**?

I'll probably just simply say no.

But I will always be tempted to advertise my possession by telling the doc about medical malpractice deaths. And I think my advertisement would be very much like John Hancock signing his name prominently in large letters on the DOI.

I think the game is to get the doctor to spring the trap but I doubt for legal, technical or workload reasons they will be able to frontload who is a gun owner onto people's medical records. They need gun owners to admit it to to fly the red flag. As said just say no. If you are wearing a Glock shirt, just say no. If on your last visit you were treated for something gun related, just say no. If you disrobe and your gun is on the chair next to you, just say no. Seriously. On the last they may click the box anyway, they might not. Just say no. Plan better and the day of your physical(they shouldn't ask on sick visits but who knows) go *gasp* unarmed. Be good for you, reset the threat meter.

People need to learn to STFU and say YES or NO. But, alot of people love to advertise they have guns in the house.

There are plenty of NES threads about doctors asking the question and people give these elaborate answers ... just say NO. It is very simple.

Saying "I'm not comfortable answering ...", "I dont want to answer", "it is none of your busienss" = YES.

Repeat after me:
- Are there guns in the house?
- NO

- do you own guns?
- NO

So easy ...

Now, I am wondering ... how will the state have access to this information? Isn't it confidential?

Or will they put the doctor in a position that if he suspects you might do something he has to report you, and if he/she doesnt report you and you do something then it is his/her a**?

Or:

You say "No" and the run all the "no"s against the FID/LTC database and it shows you do, and now you're no longer suitable cuz you lie to your doctor.

[tinfoil]

Re: confidential: IIRC HIPAA has big loopholes in its confidentiality provisions for .gov

Everybody lies to their doctor. They may red flag the shit out of everybody but they aren't going to go after some lying to the doctor unsuitable thing. It's too much work and not humiliating enough. And any law that proposed any penalties for lying to a doctor would freak wimmin out, can't have that.

ACLU to roll over and play dead at behest of their DNC masters instead of voicing opposition to this travesty in 3...2...

Ok, wanna play the game?
Doctor: Do you have any guns in your home?
Me: Oh, as long as we are asking each other shit that's none of our business, does your wife have a dildo at home or did you prescribe yourself the little blue pills?
Us: Long awkward silence.

... If you disrobe and your gun is on the chair next to you, just say no. Seriously. On the last they may click the box anyway, they might not. Just say no. Plan better and the day of your physical(they shouldn't ask on sick visits but who knows) go *gasp* unarmed. ...

Reliant Medical now has signs saying they don't want you in there with guns or knives. I guess I need a new doctor's office, as this one no longer wants my business.

I found these on another thread here on the site about this subject and thought it was appropriate
Risk Management Advice to Physicians: Don't Push Gun Control to Your Patients
there was a form someone made up but the link no longer works

Cool.

If you do not sign a release, NY will not issue you a pistol permit. Ditto for many other states CCWs.

I have no doubt that’s true.

But has the State actually done the searches and confiscated any firearms due to these releases?

Not for nothing, but I’m reading a lot of “apparently” and “likely” and “it seems that” statements in those links.

It’s not you. But I question the sourcing of those articles. If the Safe Act had been leading to widespread documented unwarranted seizures for the past, what, three years or so? I’d have to think there’d have been a lot of victims filing civil rights injunctions.

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but I’m reading a lot of “apparently” and “likely” and “it seems that” statements in those links.

It’s not you. But I question the sourcing of those articles. If the Safe Act had been leading to widespread documented unwarranted seizures for the past, what, three years or so? I’d have to think there’d have been a lot of victims filing civil rights injunctions.

What makes you think they haven't ?
They might get some justice in four or five years when it finally gets to court assuming they can even afford the lawyers fees.

EDIT:

It's going to discourage people from having honest discussions with their doctors. "Hey doc I'm having a hard time dealing with the loss of a spouse. I'm heartbroken." The doc say "Wait a sec I need to check on something.". He rifles through his files and finds out you answered yes to having guns. He offers some advice and on the way out he hands you a bill and secretly mails in a filled out ERPO or risk your sadness expanding to the point where said gun owner commits suicide and of course the public conversation is going to revolve around "Well how could this happen? This was knowable information? etc etc etc"

I think the best counter to that is going to be handing a doctor a form when or if he asks the question that requires his signature where he assumes all liability and risk if the question is answered. If they can legally ask me then I ought to have the right to legally protect myself with a signed contract from the doctor. It would definitely drive a wedge between a doctor and most patients.

I think the best counter to that is going to be handing a doctor a form when or if he asks the question that requires his signature where he assumes all liability and risk if the question is answered. If they can legally ask me then I ought to have the right to legally protect myself with a signed contract from the doctor. It would definitely drive a wedge between a doctor and most patients.

It would also stop this shit dead in its tracks. Doctors like legal liability almost as much as lawyers do.

Doctors will not specifically ask about guns. This may be misinformation, what they are actually doing in MA is asking "Do you feel safe at home? " which to me doesn't seem like a big deal.

Otherwise just say No!

Doctors will not specifically ask about guns. This may be misinformation, what they are actually doing in MA is asking "Do you feel safe at home? " which to me doesn't seem like a big deal.

Otherwise just say No!
Really? I've seen it as a written question on the forms handed to patients to fill out prior to a visit. Those forms have a notation on the source of the form and it is usually AMA or MMA.

Otherwise just say No!

A new "My doctor asked me if I have guns in the house!" thread pops up at least every other month on this forum. They literally do ask specifically about guns already.

Back
Top Bottom