• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Proposes State Law Requiring Doctors to Ask About Guns In the Home

almost forgot about this....
Took my kid to the doc last fall, the doc asked the gun question, I said no, and the kid said, "Dad, then what's in that huge cabinet"
I remember he caught me off guard with that and my brain went straight to the Big Lebowski police report scene.
My reply was almost word for word, I think I even stuttered a bit. "....uh.....papers....my papers.....uh business papers..."
Funny how the black cop is being a typical cop going thru the ashtray looking for a roach. Shoot his dog if he had one and bust him after.

View: https://youtu.be/sft3VHxru2s?t=26

My old primary Dr before taking a seat on the board asked me all sorts of random questions at the last physical he did with me a few years ago.
Drink,smoke,drugs, seatbelt, feelings
Then slide in the “gunz” now mind you I have been seeing this Dr. since I wad 13 he was fresh out of school at the local town “medical center” now compass medical.
I messed with him enough over the years I figure why not now.
“Guns hell know I never leave my guns home alone” when he looked up from his fancy new IPad thing I gave him my best
“Think about that “ look,
He then looked at me and said... your labs look good , hows the hip and asked a few car questions. Before he left I asked what was that question shit all about.
He showed me his little tablet and it was just a “outline” of questions. I did not see anyplaces to check off answers and his notes where the same as always
No mention of guns.
That was 2013, since then no Dr had asked me any direct questions like that

I was asked once by a medical assistant at an appoint for one of those "see for one thing and never again" MDs. I just answered "boundary violation" and she moved on without comment.

I still remember bringing my son to his first appointment when we changed pediatricians. He was about three. Doc is running through the standard "home safety" protocol, bike helmets, etc. when he looks at me, pauses for a second, and says "Make sure you keep your guns secured. Boys are curious, even when you think they aren't."

Mind you, I was wearing standard business casual, with a blue blazer, not an NRA shirt and Molon Labe ball cap. I guess I was giving off a vibe.

ETA: If ever asked the "do you have any guns at home?" question myself, my answer will be a simple "No." And then we move on. Why would I try to attract attention with "Improper question!" or "I won't tell you!" Just "No" and under the radar I stay.

Last edited:
2008, my son's first pediatrician

From a 2008 Post:

when my now 9yo son was 1yo, we took him a a local Ped for a checkup. after the usual stuff, he starts asking about if we drink, how much, etc. I'm getting a little pissed....as he's writing all this down. Then he asks if there are any guns in the house..."that's none of your F'ing business"...him: 'well, we just want to make sure that any weapons are stored securely and not available to children" me: "again, that's none of your F'ing business"..him: "are your weapons secured properly?" me: (as I stand up and lift my sweatshirt displaying my G23) "yeah, I think it's pretty secure"
he shit a football and that was the end of the questions.....as we're leaving my wife says.."you always have to be a showoff don't you?'

2008, my son's first pediatrician

From a 2008 Post:

when my now 9yo son was 1yo, we took him a a local Ped for a checkup. after the usual stuff, he starts asking about if we drink, how much, etc. I'm getting a little pissed....as he's writing all this down. Then he asks if there are any guns in the house..."that's none of your F'ing business"...him: 'well, we just want to make sure that any weapons are stored securely and not available to children" me: "again, that's none of your F'ing business"..him: "are your weapons secured properly?" me: (as I stand up and lift my sweatshirt displaying my G23) "yeah, I think it's pretty secure"
he shit a football and that was the end of the questions.....as we're leaving my wife says.."you always have to be a showoff don't you?'
I commend you sir on your bravery.

Not many would admit to carrying a fotay these days.

I still remember bringing my son to his first appointment when we changed pediatricians. He was about three. Doc is running through the standard "home safety" protocol, bike helmets, etc. when he looks at me, pauses for a second, and says "Make sure you keep your guns secured. Boys are curious, even when you think they aren't."

Mind you, I was wearing standard business casual, with a blue blazer, not an NRA shirt and Molon Labe ball cap. I guess I was giving off a vibe.

ETA: If ever asked the "do you have any guns at home?" question myself, my answer will be a simple "No." And then we move on. Why would I try to attract attention with "Improper question!" or "I won't tell you!" Just "No" and under the radar I stay.

It's usually preceded by a series of lifestyle questions, like "Do you wear a seatbelt" or "Do you drink alcohol". As soon as the questions move into non medical territory I cut them off. Often they never reach that question. One dogged nurse insisted on asking each question and I answered "decline" to each.

Back
Top Bottom