Boston peeps - any issues transiting Logan International with checked firearms?

Properly checked firearms are not supposed to get special handling. They're supposed to come out on the carousel, unless they're oversized.

When they put giant zip ties on them, or pull them into a special room, it tells the handlers that they contain something out of the ordinary. This gives them reason to steal the bags. This is why the tag goes inside the your bag - so the groundlings have no reason to think twice about your stuff.

Besides, I thought we all agree that it's just a gun. A thing, like other things, with no special power, though perhaps a bit more value than our other traveling accoutrements. If that's true, why would you want people to treat them as extraordinary? If normalization is the goal - congrats, your gun was treated like normal luggage. We're winning.

Properly checked firearms are not supposed to get special handling. They're supposed to come out on the carousel, unless they're oversized.

When they put giant zip ties on them, or pull them into a special room, it tells the handlers that they contain something out of the ordinary. This gives them reason to steal the bags. This is why the tag goes inside the your bag - so the groundlings have no reason to think twice about your stuff.

Besides, I thought we all agree that it's just a gun. A thing, like other things, with no special power, though perhaps a bit more value than our other traveling accoutrements. If that's true, why would you want people to treat them as extraordinary? If normalization is the goal - congrats, your gun was treated like normal luggage. We're winning.

I see. I guess that is not American Airlines policy. I had to go to an office w/ my claim slip in Louisville. And the folks back in Boston were quite upset that the same process was not followed at Logan.

I see. I guess that is not American Airlines policy. I had to go to an office w/ my claim slip in Louisville. And the folks back in Boston were quite upset that the same process was not followed at Logan.
American Airlines' policy is their own. As a business, they can obviously have whatever policy they prefer.

I personally think it reeks of hoplophobia and statism.

Had a bad experience returning to Logan on AA last week. I declared unloaded firearms in Louisville, the bag was tagged for special handling.

When I got to Logan, I went to the office next to the carousel waiting for the bag. After a while, I asked my wife to check the carousel 'just in case'. Wouldn't you know, it was right there.

The people in the office were pissed, to say the least. Apparently this happens more often than we know about.

They gave me a number to call, which then sent me to central baggage number who in turn turned me to their website where I can lodge a complaint. So, that's my next step.

In brighter news, the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot was frickin' awesome!

I don't know that I consider that a bad experience.

Even when my bags are tagged as "interesting" (special handling) I wait at the carousel to see if they come out. It is about 50/50 that they do. If they don't I head over to the office to see if they have it. If it is there, great. If not, then I am in the right place to file the report.

I figure that the "interesting" bags are going to stack up behind the scenes on a cart until the carousel is done, then they head over to the baggage office. That means there is no point in standing around at the office waiting. You aren't going to get your bag until the carousel is done. Based on that, I go watch the carousel. If my bag shows up, I was there to grab it. If it doesn't, then I should be getting to the baggage office about the same time that the bag does.

My baggage containing properly checked Firearms have always been on the carousel for self pick up

New airline ad to attract Massachusetts gun owners:

Luggage circling the carousel.
"X-Ray" special effects showing it contains a handgun.
Passenger saunters up, plucks bag off the belt, saunters off whistling.

Caption:
Fly <airline name> -
We encourage self-help.​

I see. I guess that is not American Airlines policy. I had to go to an office w/ my claim slip in Louisville.

You might be doing us a favor if you can infer
how Louisville knew to segregate your baggage -
is there any cryptic notation on any receipts or tags?

If the cryptic notation appears on the luggage tags themselves,
could that violate law mandating that the airlines not flag the bags?
ETA: For example if a circled handwritten G means "gun"
to every single luggage handler in the airline,
it's not exactly a disincentive to theft...

And the folks back in Boston were quite upset that the same process was not followed at Logan.

What's the best outcome from filing that internal airline complaint?
They reliably segregate your bag in the future, and it's never stolen from the carousel
by someone walking in off the street?

Just about the absolute worst is that you get the wrong employee in trouble,
and you end up on a no-fly list.
Poisonous pessimism, but who here will say it could never ever happen...

At least some NESers would just grab their bag and ride into the sunset.
7cb2438496e5484ec9379967da99f15a.gif

New airline ad to attract Massachusetts gun owners:

Luggage circling the carousel.
"X-Ray" special effects showing it contains a handgun.
Passenger saunters up, plucks bag off the belt, saunters off whistling.

Caption:
Fly <airline name> -
We encourage self-help.​

You might be doing us a favor if you can infer
how Louisville knew to segregate your baggage -
is there any cryptic notation on any receipts or tags?

If the cryptic notation appears on the luggage tags themselves,
could that violate law mandating that the airlines not flag the bags?
ETA: For example if a circled handwritten G means "gun"
to every single luggage handler in the airline,
it's not exactly a disincentive to theft...

What's the best outcome from filing that internal airline complaint?
They reliably segregate your bag in the future, and it's never stolen from the carousel
by someone walking in off the street?

Just about the absolute worst is that you get the wrong employee in trouble,
and you end up on a no-fly list.
Poisonous pessimism, but who here will say it could never ever happen...

At least some NESers would just grab their bag and ride into the sunset.
7cb2438496e5484ec9379967da99f15a.gif

So, this was my first time traveling with Firearms. When I checked it in on my way out of Logan, I had to sign the normal 'Firearm(s) Unloaded' tag, place it on top of my locked case & then zip up the luggage bag it was in. They then proceeded to attach a big red tag indicating 'special handling' to that piece of luggage. I thought this was odd since I've read the regulations/etc and didn't think that was normal protocol, but it didn't cause me concern at the time.

I expected the bag to be on the carousel in Louisville, but it had been brought to the office. So, I thought, "Well, this must be their policy"

Louisville also did the same procedure (tagged the bag with a big red tag). Side Note: When we checked into the Kiosk in Louisville, it knew we were traveling with firearms - spidey senses were tingling.

When I got to Boston, I expected the process to be the same. I approached the people in the office and asked if this was where bags requiring 'special handling' would be - they said, likely only if it is a firearm.

So, I was like, ok, and waited. I could see outside that almost all passengers had their bags which prompted me to ask the Mrs. to check out the carousel - sure enough it was there.

By reading the comments from several folks, I'm thinking that A) they never *should* have tagged my bag in that manner B) it should have been on the main carousel both times and C) I am over thinking this.

Haven't filed the complaint yet & probably won't now that I've seen the feedback.

With JetBlue the only time I had to claim it at the office was when I was traveling with shotguns and they were in my long pelican case, so I guess it qualified as oversized. My understanding was that they weren't supposed to put any identifying marks on the case, though obviously airline polices can vary.. On my recent trip my pistol case was inside a suitcase and it just came down the baggage claim carousel. I planted myself right at the point where the bags emerged from the chute and made sure I got it as soon as I saw it.

So, this was my first time traveling with Firearms.
By reading the comments from several folks, I'm thinking that A) they never *should* have tagged my bag in that manner B) it should have been on the main carousel both times and C) I am over thinking this.

Haven't filed the complaint yet & probably won't now that I've seen the feedback.

The next time I travel with firearms will be the first time for me.
Thanks for the details.
And you can have the pleasure of Len telling me to my face at the NES Natick GTG if he thinks I was totally overblown about the risk of a gun luggage complaint possibly causing a retaliatory No-Fly listing.
(But now you've got me thinking that red tag thing actually sounds shady).

Delta from Logan to Nashville went to the special office, no ziptie
Nashville to Logan went to the office, well after the rest of my flight had all picked up their bags and left, and after the lady offered to ship my bag to my residence. My reply, while polite, was not at all happy. I said that the offer would be fine, but only after she summoned one of the staties, a TSA Manager, and while she was getting them, I'd be stepping outside the office to call the ATF, and I'm sure they'd like to speak with you as well. I was assured that was unnecessary, and asked to let her make one more call before we started setting off alarm bells. Miraculously, my bag came out of a side door no more than 90 seconds later.

My bag came out on the carousel in Toronto, but I couldn't find it. Seems an old Chinese guy lined it up with all the luggage from his very large clan - probably just an honest mistake. No problems when I grabbed the bag from his setaside pile.

I'm traveling back to ATL with Delta soon. I read their policy but their ammo policy is a bit vague. Can I put ammo in a can in a separate from my pistols so I can actually bring a decent amount?

So it looks like you are good to go, storing the ammo in the same suitcase (just not within the same locked case as the firearm) up to 11 pounds worth.

Special Items | Baggage : Delta Air Lines

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
  • Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
  • Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
  • All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
  • Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
  • Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
  • Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
  • You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA websiteopens in a new window.
  • If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
  • Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage.
  • Customer must be 18 years of age or older
  • All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm.
Baggage Restrictions & Restricted Items : Delta Baggage : Delta Air Lines
Weapons
We allow small arms ammunition, in quantities not exceeding 11 lbs. (5 kg) per person, as checked-baggage only. The weapon must be securely boxed and intended for that person's own use. More than one passenger may not combine quantities into one package. See more details/guidelines under shooting equipment.

You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA websiteopens in a new window.

Note: Gunpowder (e.g., Pyrodex, black powder, mace, pepper spray and tear gas) is never permitted.

Special Items | Baggage : Delta Air Lines
Shooting equipment ... must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
I wonder if that means they forbid loose/non-rack packaging like Remington Range Buckets, etc.

I wonder if that means they forbid loose/non-rack packaging like Remington Range Buckets, etc.

Yes, correct. They don't want the rounds bouncing around together. Not that they've ever actually checked inside my ammo boxes, but why not keep it as safe as possible?

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread but does anyone have the specific site where it explains the airline declaration tag being placed on the outside of the firearm contain when its placed INSIDE a standard piece of luggage?

I have the section of US code that states ".....No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package or luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

That doesnt address the situation when a locked container is placed inside standard luggage though.

Maybe I missed it earlier in the thread but does anyone have the specific site where it explains the airline declaration tag being placed on the outside of the firearm contain when its placed INSIDE a standard piece of luggage?

I have the section of US code that states ".....No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package or luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

That doesnt address the situation when a locked container is placed inside standard luggage though.
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
Transporting Firearms and Ammunition

The law only says that, "The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;"

If you are placing a locked gun container inside your standard luggage, the "in writing" declaration tag needs to be INSIDE your luggage (as your quoted law says), but NOT inside your locked gun container. That is so TSA will see that your firearm has been declared when/if they open your luggage and they won't/can't open your locked gun container.

If the airline carrier places your declaration tag inside of your gun case which is inside your luggage, TSA will not know if your gun has been declared because your gun case is locked and only you have the key.

So since the law says you have to declare the firearm, how would TSA know that you have declared it if they can not see the tag? Therefore the tag has to be outside of the locked container, but inside of your luggage because of your quoted law.

Resurrecting this thread so as not to start yet another "flying with firearms" thread.

American has adopted two new policies over the past few months. First, they fill out the "orange card" which is not orange or even uses orange ink. All you have to do is sign it. Unfortunately, the new card does not have space for your address or phone number. I've started taping one of my "personal" business cards with my cell phone number on it. In the past, I've been called on that if TSA needed me to open the box.

Second, the bag is supposed to go to the Baggage Service Office (BSO). They put a red tag that says "Return to BSO" on the handle of the bag. That's not just for guns, but for all sorts of things.

Going out of Boston, the guy at the counter asked me to open the case and show that the gun was unloaded. I've never been asked to open the box by any female counter agent. They just ask me and then put the card on the outside of the box. That's anywhere, not just Logan.

I ended up coming back to Providence, not Boston last night because my flight out of Corpus Christi was delayed long enough to make me miss my connection out of DFW to Boston. At Providence, the bag went on the regular carousel.

I'll be going back to Texas in November on SWA and I'll see if they do anything different.

Back
Top Bottom