Boston peeps - any issues transiting Logan International with checked firearms?

Anyone else see the irony of a guy with a Molon Labe graphic suggesting this?

I fail to see the irony of someone that lives in a free state telling someone else, don't bring real guns into evil communist territory. You can come and take one of my ARs right now if you want to, it's in the bed of my truck, no tonneau cover, out in the driveway.

Reagan is also in Virginia. Picking up your firearm at Dulles and Reagan are no issue. I have flown into both with handguns.

Just don't fly into BWI, but honestly, **** Baltimore altogether at this point. It's a minor miracle that city hasn't been burnt to the ground yet.

If the stolen gun is an NFA item, our you are an FFL and it is inventory, or you are an employee of the ATF, then yes, notify them. Otherwise good luck getting them to even take your call.

Otherwise, check at the baggage claim office, they will give you a "Lost Luggage Report" and receipt. If the bag doesn't show up in a day or so, report the theft to LE at both the origination and destination. Get a police report with a # assigned to it, so you can file an insurance claim.

As a C&R FFL I studiously studied the instructions for FFLs to report stolen/lost firearms and I can find NOTHING that exempts C&R FFLs from that obligation. I look at this as an advantage not a liability as NOBODY ever wants the Feds snooping around their office, checking their procedures, etc. So by telling the airline agent that you are legally obligated to notify BATFE via an 800 #, notify local PD and file a report with BATFE all within 24-48 hrs (IIRC) is extremely likely to result in finding your lost luggage tout suite!! My goal would be retrieve my property as fast as possible so "burning" an airline/airport in doing so is perfectly acceptable to me!

Dulles airport is in Virginia, which is not a bad state for gunowners, they recognize your carry permit. Doesn't matter what state -- Virginia recognizes all US state-issued carry licenses.

Yes, Dulles and Reagan are in VA, but the majority of people that fly in to either airport transit through or have DC as a final destination. Last year VA had withdrawn reciprocity agreements and stopped recognizing other state's CHL/CCW permits for a period of time before the Governor realized that he was going to alienate a lot of important allies.

Having traveled extensively with both long guns, shot guns (domestically and internationally) and pistols, and having them "lost" twice, I can tell you that there's nothing like that empty pit that opens in your stomach when you realize you bag with your firearm (or long gun case) is not going to arrive. Just thinking that my firearm might be in the back of someone's truck is sickening.

In both cases I went to the baggage claim manager and told him the bag was missing and that it had a firearm in it. I didn't let him get a word in edgewise as I told him he had two hours to locate it or I had the ATF on speed-dial and would be reporting a robbery of a firearm at his airport. That lit a fire under his arse and, lo and behold, they found the guns in both cases with the two hour window. However, I was unable to get them back until late that night as they had been loaded in the wrong airplane. At 01:30 the following morning a car pulled up and gave me my locked luggage. I was shooting in a competition at 10 that morning, too.

As someone else here said, the airlines don't want ATF poking around so that threat works.......and I was serious, of course.

Rome

PS IF anyone here has a 1st person story about having a firearm confiscated or being hassled at Logan, I'd like to hear about it too. While I (from CT) would be reticent about carrying under FOPA in Massachusetts to Logan, I have never read anything that would indicate a problem for an out-of-state guy like me without a non-res permit. Same goes for here in Hartford at BDL.

R

I'm guessing that other than myself there are very few if any of you on here that have seen the baggage system at BOS or any other airport.

I'm not going to say that there aren't thieves that work at the airport because there have been theft rings that have been caught at airports. However the chances of you having your bag stolen is very small. BOS has over 1000 flight per day go out and over 100,000 people per day fly through there. The baggage system there is pretty complex with bags riding on miles of conveyor belts. The baggage system itself can be brutal on your bags, I've literally seen bags torn to shreds or smashed open. When your bag doesn't show up at the baggage claim when you get there it is most likely because it was thrown on the wrong cart and got sent to the wrong plane or possible fell off a baggage belt and is sitting on the side of a conveyor.

...if you're flying, you can't have sharp objects. They zip-tie bags shut so you can't get into them. This still leaves you with a few options...acquiring a blade, cutting it with 550 cord, melting it with a lighter, or shimming the locking mechanism being the easiest...

Nail clippers.

<https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/nail-clippers>

I flew Delta out of Logan very recently. Very easy. Walked up to the baggage counter, told them I'm flying with a firearm and that it's unloaded, in a locked hard sided case, inside my luggage. They simply had me sign a declaration that it's unloaded and gave it to me to slip inside the luggage next to the gun box. That's it!

I flew Delta out of Logan very recently. Very easy. Walked up to the baggage counter, told them I'm flying with a firearm and that it's unloaded, in a locked hard sided case, inside my luggage. They simply had me sign a declaration that it's unloaded and gave it to me to slip inside the luggage next to the gun box. That's it!
Danke bruder!

Dont have to tape the declaration onto the hard sided gun case?

Im flying Southwest this weekend

A couple of years back I flew out of and back into Logan with my brother who, at the time, was a NH resident. Each of us had a hard case with two shotguns in each of them. We didn't bring ammo as we were going to a quail hunting plantation in Georgia and they required us to use their ammo anyway. We were not asked for any LTCs or permits. We had followed all the guidelines from the TSA and the airlines and the procedure went very smoothly without any issue whatsoever.

Whatever you do, if you are stuck at Dulles do not take possession of your firearm. DC is so restrictive that without a FID or DC Concealed Carry Permit you will be arrested. You cannot even have possession of a spent cartridge.

They do not respect gun owner's rights and getting them to recognize FOPA or safe passage is virtually unheard of.

Neither Dulles nor Reagan National are in DC. They are in Virginia. Dulles, in fact, is about an hour drive from D.C.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont have to tape the declaration onto the hard sided gun case?

Im flying Southwest this weekend

If it's a gun case inside a regular suitcase, yes. If it's a hard case, such as a long gun case, flying as it's own piece of luggage, the card goes on the inside. Occasionally, the counter agents at SWA have put the card on the inside of the hard case inside the suitcase, but someone must have called them on it, because the last time I flew (June). They did it the right way.

For SWA, a suitcase with a gun case inside goes on the regular carousel. A long gun case goes over to "over sized baggage" where you can pick it up. Make sure you have your bag claim check.

I'm old fashioned, I carry print outs of the SWA Contract of Carriage section regarding firearms and the current TSA rules with me. SWA allows the ammo in the same case as the gun, just not in magazines. You can carry up to 11 pounds of ammunition.

How much earlier do you have to arrive at the airport if checking in gun incase of delay due to gun

3-4 hours, at least. ;) Seriously, it shouldn't more than 2 minutes for them to do the card. What I do is hand them my ID and say, "I'll need a firearms declaration card." Usually, but not always, they'll fill out most of it for you, you just have to date and sign the card. I put my cell phone number on the card, so they can contact me if needed. TSA sometimes wants to inspect the gun case, but the last couple times all they did was run it through the Xray machine.

Neither Dulles nor Reagan National are in DC. They are in Virginia. Dulles, in fact, is about an hour drive from D.C.

People get confused on this all the time. There are no airports in DC itself. VA is, despite McAullife's best efforts, still gun friendly.

People get confused on this all the time. There are no airports in DC itself. VA is, despite McAullife's best efforts, still gun friendly.

Of the three airports near D.C., the only one I would worry about is BWI, which is in Maryland. I don't know of any horror stories at BWI, but Maryland is not gun friendly, whereas VA, as you correctly point out, is still gun friendly.

How much earlier do you have to arrive at the airport if checking in gun incase of delay due to gun
There is very little delay due to the gun.

There is a delay because you cannot use a self-check kiosk or skycap to check your luggage, but must get in line with all those people who have to straighten out problems with their ticket, rebook a missed flight, etc. Figure one hour for this.

There is very little delay due to the gun.

There is a delay because you cannot use a self-check kiosk or skycap to check your luggage, but must get in line with all those people who have to straighten out problems with their ticket, rebook a missed flight, etc. Figure one hour for this.

For my brother and I with our two cases there was only a small delay over the normal check in procedure I would normally experience without a firearm. As Rob said, there is an inherent delay in that you can't use the self check kiosk but other than that the only additional wait was that we had to be ferried over to the TSA area where they checked our cases before the airline would take them in. Maybe 10 minutes additional time for all that the day we flew.

Hey all,
I'll be flying out of Logan to Oregon with an AR next week and wondering if anything has changed or is there anything that I should be weary of?
Will have my rifle (unloaded + flagged), a handful of preban mags and all my range stuff (minus bullets) in a pelican with two non-tsa pad locks. Going to show up 40-60 minutes earlier than normal just in case of shenanigans.
Thanks!

I am traveling with my pistols in October. First time since I last traveled with long guns a few years ago. Is there anything that has changed that anyone knows about going out of and back into Logan? I was just looking at the TSA site and things seem the same. Need to check the airline info next.

One thing I wanted to clarify after reading through this whole thread again is that you are not required to use a TSA lock (openable by TSA) on your hard case. Last time, I used non-TSA keyed alike metal locks that I had the only key for.

From TSA.gov
"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."

And I also took that to mean if the firearm is stored inside your regular luggage bag you can also put a non-TSA openable lock on that too. But reading the above, I am not sure about that.

If your case has places for multiple locks, put a lock on all of them.

Not sure on the regulations specifically mentioning anything about this, but it has come up with 2 of my friends in the past year.

I last flew out of Logan in May. Nothing has changed that I noticed. If you are using a long gun case, which appears to be the case, the airline might put a tag on it indicating that the bag needs to be picked up in the baggage office, not off of the carousel. That's pretty standard if the gun is not in a case inside a suitcase. The tag goes on all sorts of special handling required luggage, it's not gun specific. You'll need to show an ID (not a LTC) at the counter and present the claim check.

One time at Logan, there was a trooper standing at the counter when I walked in. As it turns out, he was flirting with the very cute young lady behind the counter. He didn't even glance at me or the Pelican case.

Make sure that the orange card is placed inside the rifle case, not taped to the outside. Sometimes they get confused about that because the tag goes on the outside of a case that is inside a suitcase, but on the inside of a case carrying only ammunition.

Oh, one thing I've learned to do, independent of whether or not I'm traveling with a firearm is take a picture of the suitcase. That way, if it gets lost, you can show them exactly what the case looks like instead of trying to describe it.

Enjoy your trip. Good shooting.

Hey all,
I'll be flying out of Logan to Oregon with an AR next week and wondering if anything has changed or is there anything that I should be weary of?
Will have my rifle (unloaded + flagged), a handful of preban mags and all my range stuff (minus bullets) in a pelican with two non-tsa pad locks. Going to show up 40-60 minutes earlier than normal just in case of shenanigans.
Thanks!

That's a new one on me. TSA issue or airline issue?

If your case has places for multiple locks, put a lock on all of them.

Not sure on the regulations specifically mentioning anything about this, but it has come up with 2 of my friends in the past year.

The TSA Transporting Firearms and Ammunition page says it's ok to check a case that includes your unloaded firearm and ammunition.

"Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm."

But the JetBlue policy says "ammunition should be housed separately from a locked firearm" Section 14c of their Contract of Carriage.

I didn't remember that from last time. I thought they allowed it as well. But I didn't bring my ammo last time as we were required to purchase estate ammo from the Quail hunting plantation we were staying at.

I advise against using TSA looks. There are about 8 or so different master keys that will open any TSA lock. If the TSA needs to inspect your firearms case, they will contact you. That's why I put my cell phone number on the orange card. About 10% of the time the TSA will decide that they need to look inside. From what I have seen, it's only if the suitcase alarms when it goes through the explosive sniffer. Those will false alarm sometimes, so they want to look.

Depending on the lay out of the airport they may bring you into the secure area to open the locks. Other times, they'll ask you for the key or combination. I recommend against using combination locks. I always carry two keys, just in case I lose one.

I am traveling with my pistols in October. First time since I last traveled with long guns a few years ago. Is there anything that has changed that anyone knows about going out of and back into Logan? I was just looking at the TSA site and things seem the same. Need to check the airline info next.

One thing I wanted to clarify after reading through this whole thread again is that you are not required to use a TSA lock (openable by TSA) on your hard case. Last time, I used non-TSA keyed alike metal locks that I had the only key for.

From TSA.gov
"Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks."

And I also took that to mean if the firearm is stored inside your regular luggage bag you can also put a non-TSA openable lock on that too. But reading the above, I am not sure about that.

Back
Top Bottom