• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston peeps - any issues transiting Logan International with checked firearms?

Just looking at fares. Thinking I should just go to Burlington with a flight change, but those nonstop flights from San Diego are enticing with a family of five and firearms in the hold...

I would think it would be ok if just travelling through and if they are in a locked container no?

Thanks in advance!

I worked at Logan for 3 years and I probably screened a few hundred guns in that time. As long as you are following the rules for transporting it you shouldn't have an issue.

Fly into Manchester, NH.

Flying in or out of Logan with a MA license isn't that bad. No idea what the experience would be like for an out of towner. Honestly I would be more concerned about what happens on your drive out of Logan, through MA, to your final destination.

Fly into Manchester, NH.

Flying in or out of Logan with a MA license isn't that bad. No idea what the experience would be like for an out of towner. Honestly I would be more concerned about what happens on your drive out of Logan, through MA, to your final destination.

Really? As a Fed LEO you think he'd be violating what applicable law exactly?

I have flown out of Logan a handful of times over the past 2 years, my MA LTC was never asked for. In my experience the counter staff is not properly trained on the TSA guidelines or even their respective airline's procedures for checking a firearm.

I advise you print out the information needed from your airline and from the TSA and have that with you.

I got ripped off at Logan and had my firearm "liberated" on a direct flight to Miami. Logan is a bunch of scumbags.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Yknow, I must be getting old and showing my age...cuz I saw this thread titled "Boston Peeps.." and I thought maybe the old Combat Zone had returned in all its glory (complete with the 25¢ peep show booths in the back of the "bookstores" on Washington Street near the Pussycat Cinema)...etc etc...

Just sayin'

I got ripped off at Logan and had my firearm "liberated" on a direct flight to Miami. Logan is a bunch of scumbags.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I'd like to know more as well. I'm flying to Georgia from Logan this weekend and it was my intention to bring my firearm along as they accept my PA permit.

There's at least one northern VT FFL who is member of the forum. You could look into shipping your items to him and avoid worrying about the baggage boosters at Logan.

This pretty much sums it up. They don't care about your LTC, just that you fill out the card and open the locked case so they can take a quick look. Sometimes. Other times they'll just take your word for it and put the card on the inside (if it's a gun case not in luggage), or on the outside (if it's in a locked case inside a piece of luggage).

To the OP, there are several threads on flying with firearms on this forum. A quick search should find a recent one for you.

I have flown out of Logan a handful of times over the past 2 years, my MA LTC was never asked for. In my experience the counter staff is not properly trained on the TSA guidelines or even their respective airline's procedures for checking a firearm.

I advise you print out the information needed from your airline and from the TSA and have that with you.

- - - Updated - - -

None. It's just more DERP on NES. [rolleyes]

Really? As a Fed LEO you think he'd be violating what applicable law exactly?

My bil has flown to Logan many times with his shotguns during snowshoe hare season. I pick him up and we head to Maine. Nobody has ever asked for his LTC. Only glitch is different airlines have different rules about how much ammunition you can pack. So he doesn't bring any and he mooches off my stockpile [hmmm]

Just make sure you go straight to the baggage carousel when you land if your putting firearm inside hard locked box inside of a check back /checked suitecase vs a stand alone locked hard gun case because it will end up on the carousel with everyone elses bags (most airlines except delta, delta makes you got to the oversized counter and they zip tie it closed before they hand it to you at your destination). Also make sure you bring extra TSA keyed locks because some airports/TSA make you put multiple locks on the same case (Such as MSP).

If you're an NRA member, activate the ArmsCare Firearms Insurance before you fly.

What happens if the bag is lost or gun is stolen during flight? Do I call ATF?
If the stolen gun is an NFA item, our you are an FFL and it is inventory, or you are an employee of the ATF, then yes, notify them. Otherwise good luck getting them to even take your call.

Otherwise, check at the baggage claim office, they will give you a "Lost Luggage Report" and receipt. If the bag doesn't show up in a day or so, report the theft to LE at both the origination and destination. Get a police report with a # assigned to it, so you can file an insurance claim.

I'm with Bearbirdcatdog. Put your locked hard case with padlocks that only you have the key to inside a piece of soft-sided luggage with the TSA lock on the soft-sided case. Make certain that you check to make certain that your firearms are unlocked before you get to the airport. While you can open the action of your firearms to show that they are unloaded, if you can get away with not taking them out of the case (and not drawing anymore attention to yourself, the better. It also helps if you have chamber flags for each of your firearms and they are chamber flag side up. Many (not all) airlines require that your ammunition is in a separate piece of locked luggage. Check your airline's regulations before you go.

I always travel with a copy of the "Don Young letter," a copy of the Firearm Owner Protection Act, and if traveling with my NFA firearms (machine guns, suppressors, short-barreled shotguns and carbines), I carry a copy of my 5320.20 and a copy of an opinion from BATFE re: applicability of FOPA to NFA regulated firearms.

I have copies of these documents for anyone who wants them. Just private message me.

Jet blue had lost my "bag" twice. Both times it arrived the next morning on the very next flight. Both times i told them the missing bag contained a firearm and asked them to call MA State Police to report it. Both times they were able to track down the bag before it came to that and confirmed it was on the next flight before I left the airport.

Ordinarily when I fly Jet Blue there isn't a problem, however, when I flew out of Logan in June, the Jet Blue agent refused to visually verify that my firearms were unloaded and insisted that I quickly slip the Firearms Declaration hang tag in and to leave the string hanging out. When I protested, she informed me that if I didn't comply with her instructions I would refused passage on Jet Blue. I spoke to a Jet Blue agent when I flew out of Cleveland last weekend and he informed me that the agent at Logan simply did not want to do her job and suggested that I file a complaint with the airline.

Ordinarily when I fly Jet Blue there isn't a problem, however, when I flew out of Logan in June, the Jet Blue agent refused to visually verify that my firearms were unloaded and insisted that I quickly slip the Firearms Declaration hang tag in and to leave the string hanging out. When I protested, she informed me that if I didn't comply with her instructions I would refused passage on Jet Blue. I spoke to a Jet Blue agent when I flew out of Cleveland last weekend and he informed me that the agent at Logan simply did not want to do her job and suggested that I file a complaint with the airline.

I have had an occasional JetBlue agent who either did not know or did not want to do it right. Since I travel with hand guns a dozen times a year I stood my ground, pulled up JetBlue and TSA documentation on my iPad, etc and got it done correctly.

Never put the declaration inside the locked container or outside your bag. The only time it goes inside is when your long gun case is the entire piece of luggage.

The ass who told you do it wrong or don't fly I would have asked for a supervisor and pulled up docs while waiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome guys, thank you! Will decide next week, leaning towards just flying into Burlington with layover through Dulles. Short layover in good state with pretty good baggage controls. Alaska just started a direct to boston and san diego. BTW - Alaska will let you carry up to 50lbs ammo. All guns will be in a pelican 1660 case locked up, except the one I will carry on the flight. Appreciate all the info!

Last edited:
While not specific to Logan here's something I saw today that's pertinent to anyone flying on Delta:

Tactical and Preparedness Newsletter
By: Ox & David Morris

If you're thinking of flying with a firearm in the near future, I wanted to give you a heads-up...

In January, a deranged man flew from Alaska to Ft. Lauderdale, got his baggage, went into the bathroom, pulled out a checked pistol, loaded it, and started shooting defenseless people, killing 5.

It was horrible.

Delta had a choice to make. They could make changes that would actually help people be safer, or they could engage in security theater that only harrasses their law abiding customers who travel with firearms.

They chose to harrass their customers.

I first ran into this a few months ago...and ran into it again this weekend.

Now, when you get to your final destination, if you're trying to be low profile and carry a locked, hard sided gun case inside of ordinary luggage, Delta wants the world to know about it.

First off, they aren't putting luggage with firearms in them on the normal carousel anymore. You either have to claim your firearm from the Delta luggage desk or get it at oversized baggage.

Second, they're putting a BIG sticker on luggage with firearms in them saying not to put it on the carousel. No other luggage I've seen has this sticker...so every baggage handler, flyer, cab driver, bus driver, etc. knows that you have a firearm in your bag.

That's not so bad...you can rip off the sticker pretty quickly.

But they went one step further. They are zip-tieing the bags shut with heavy duty 3/8" zip ties. On a recent flight, my bag came out with 4 BIG zip ties on it.

Think about that...if you're flying, you can't have sharp objects. They zip-tie bags shut so you can't get into them. This still leaves you with a few options...acquiring a blade, cutting it with 550 cord, melting it with a lighter, or shimming the locking mechanism being the easiest.

So, if you're planning on flying with a pistol on Delta in the near future, make sure you have a plan before you go.

Whatever you do, if you are stuck at Dulles do not take possession of your firearm. DC is so restrictive that without a FID or DC Concealed Carry Permit you will be arrested. You cannot even have possession of a spent cartridge.

They do not respect gun owner's rights and getting them to recognize FOPA or safe passage is virtually unheard of.

Just don't cross over into DC or Maryland, those states are about as anti-gun as MA

Whatever you do, if you are stuck at Dulles do not take possession of your firearm. DC is so restrictive that without a FID or DC Concealed Carry Permit you will be arrested. You cannot even have possession of a spent cartridge.

They do not respect gun owner's rights and getting them to recognize FOPA or safe passage is virtually unheard of.
Dulles airport is in Virginia, which is not a bad state for gunowners, they recognize your carry permit. Doesn't matter what state -- Virginia recognizes all US state-issued carry licenses.

Last edited:
If you hear gunshots at Dulles, it's not your imagination. The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police were granted 11 acres of land attached to the Dulles International Airport to build out a full $12M firearms training facility (shared with the Arlington County Police & Sheriff) including a 300 yard rifle range.

Reagan is also in Virginia. Picking up your firearm at Dulles and Reagan are no issue. I have flown into both with handguns.
Good point. I only ever fly into Reagan when I need to be in DC for work, otherwise I automatically take the Dulles route.

Last edited:

Dulles is in Virginia

- - - Updated - - -

Good point. I only ever fly into Reagan when I need to be in DC for work, otherwise I gravitate to Dulles.
Reagan is in Virginia too.

Back
Top Bottom