• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston LTC Renewal

Renewal paperwork submitted this afternoon - 3+ months early (Metrowest town.) Officer was/is always super pleasant to work with. He said it's usually 4-6 weeks but they've been experiencing 6-8 week turn-around from the state. Confirmed the early renewal/potential delays won't affect any acquisition plans.

Worcester.

Called in June to get an appt for November. Told by Licensing that I need to wait until 3 months before my expiration date in November. I knew it was gonna be a phenomenally stupid move by them.

Called on August first. Told them I was told to call now. He fumbles over the phone after I told him it expires November.

“Can you come in October **th?”
No, I work.

“Can you come in October **th?”
Well, that’s my only option I guess.

I show up at 8am. Wait for 15 mins until an officer comes out to the lobby to ask who’s here for renewal and who’s here for safety classes. There are three people including me with one signing up in person for a class and one other there for renewal. Now mind you last time I came into the office in person and was treated very well getting the card in just over 40 days. So here in a vacant lobby he looks over my app, takes my DL, check, and comes back with a mircs 5 mins later with a stamp on it that says, “Call this number no earlier than Feb.**”

I’ll be calling Boston by mid December to check whether approval was done and then bug Worcester every day until they this is finalized. Ridiculous.
Friend got a new LTC in Worcester. Total c*nts.

He had his appointment in February/March and was told "your new LTC will be ready on ..." - gave him an exact date in July. What? How do they know it will be ready on that exact date? ... the only answer is they are getting the licenses and sitting on them.

Anyway, this thread is specifically about Boston because they provide horrible information online, it takes a lot of digging around.

my license expired in the beginning of November in Boston, I was told only one person does renewals, and they are backed up. But I did find out is you can use the portal to validate your license the only thing is the proof of validation is only good for one day. If you have no receipt like the rest of us in Boston for your renewal, this will give you proof you’re carrying on a valid license.

my license expired in the beginning of November in Boston, I was told only one person does renewals, and they are backed up. But I did find out is you can use the portal to validate your license the only thing is the proof of validation is only good for one day. If you have no receipt like the rest of us in Boston for your renewal, this will give you proof you’re carrying on a valid license.
My concern wouldn't be proving I have a valid license, the State has this in the system and a piece of paper won't stop a cop from arresting you. If you find yourself in that situation, it probably means you used the gun or did something really stupid, so you are getting arrested anyway.

My concern would be with buying stuff at the few FFL that accept the receipt and having the new license on time to update all the online places.

The day before my expiration (late November), I still had no LTC and started to panic - I started this process in early July! There are no other license holders in my house and i really didn't want to be out of compliance. I wrote my local rep and I have to say that his office was incredibly responsive. They got some additional info from me and tracked things down at FRB. Meanwhile, I made another trip to BPD where the counter staff tried to give me the brush off. I insisted that I needed my receipt and they had me wait. After about 10 minutes a very nice officer came out and gave me a receipt and told me I had a 60? day grace period and to carry the receipt as proof of my submission. My rep's office followed up that they had spoken to the state and I was in the queue - that I should expect it after Thanksgiving. Everyone was helpful. FWIW, I received the card this week (12/7).

The real problem, as I see it, is that we submit electronically to save everyone the hassle of processing and handling paper. This is good for the citizen and good for the state/local police. But no receipts through that system means that when these entities take forever, you have to go in person anyway. This can be solved either by expediting licenses or providing a reciept electronically.

The day before my expiration (late November), I still had no LTC and started to panic - I started this process in early July! There are no other license holders in my house and i really didn't want to be out of compliance. I wrote my local rep and I have to say that his office was incredibly responsive. They got some additional info from me and tracked things down at FRB. Meanwhile, I made another trip to BPD where the counter staff tried to give me the brush off. I insisted that I needed my receipt and they had me wait. After about 10 minutes a very nice officer came out and gave me a receipt and told me I had a 60? day grace period and to carry the receipt as proof of my submission. My rep's office followed up that they had spoken to the state and I was in the queue - that I should expect it after Thanksgiving. Everyone was helpful. FWIW, I received the card this week (12/7).

The real problem, as I see it, is that we submit electronically to save everyone the hassle of processing and handling paper. This is good for the citizen and good for the state/local police. But no receipts through that system means that when these entities take forever, you have to go in person anyway. This can be solved either by expediting licenses or providing a reciept electronically.
MGL MANDATES that a receipt be given within SEVEN days of submittal by MAIL if not in person.

PDs could care less about MGL when it doesn't suit them. And there is no possible penalty for their disobedience of the law!

I sent in my renewal app to Boston Police Department in November. I paid using the online payment and I have a receipt for that. My license expires in March (11th) and from what I'm reading, I probably should have started it sooner. You still get that loop recording from the licensing office at BPD. Since I don't have a regular receipt, do I need to go to headquarters before I expire and get an actual receipt? Like others, I also wonder if maybe I didn't fill out the app properly and it's been tossed.

PDs could care less about MGL when it doesn't suit them. And there is no possible penalty for their disobedience of the law!
The Katrina bill was killed after the point where it would normally be a fait accompli because the police noticed it contained an actual penalty if they violated the law. We never did hear who was actually responsible for that back room deal.

I sent in my renewal app to Boston Police Department in November. I paid using the online payment and I have a receipt for that. My license expires in March (11th) and from what I'm reading, I probably should have started it sooner. You still get that loop recording from the licensing office at BPD. Since I don't have a regular receipt, do I need to go to headquarters before I expire and get an actual receipt? Like others, I also wonder if maybe I didn't fill out the app properly and it's been tossed.
Donna,
I think that someone in this thread had a solution to the lack of response that might help you get the MIRCS receipt. The MIRCS receipt is the only thing that gives you legal coverage during the months that your current LTC is expired.

You still get that loop recording from the licensing office at BPD
What is sorely missing here is an actual number which takes you to an actual person. Someone needs to get into their phone tree/auto attendant, and do the dial by name until they get a connection; then get the actual name of the person (to try THAT dial by name later). Then talk to a human, who can get an answer. That, or can a FOIA request get the MIRCS receipt out of them?

What is sorely missing here is an actual number which takes you to an actual person. Someone needs to get into their phone tree/auto attendant, and do the dial by name until they get a connection; then get the actual name of the person (to try THAT dial by name later). Then talk to a human, who can get an answer. That, or can a FOIA request get the MIRCS receipt out of them?
None of that is going to work. Only way to get anywhere is to go to the BPD headquarters in-person.

BPD's goal is to not be helpful. Reaching a person isn't going to help.

Len, I might have missed that. What was the suggestion? I was planning on going to PBD headquarters next week. The way this is being handled, you have no idea if they received your application. Or if you made any mistakes in filling it out and they trashed it. There really needs to be something in place where you get some type of reply from them.
Donna,
I think that someone in this thread had a solution to the lack of response that might help you get the MIRCS receipt. The MIRCS receipt is the only thing that gives you legal coverage during the months that your current LTC is expired.

Donna,
Len, I found that info. The only problem is that they haven't even received my application from BPD yet. Mailed on November 20th. Expire in March. So, from what I'm reading, I guess I should have started over the summer! This is crazy. Maybe I'll write Maura a letter. LOL.

Len, I found that info. The only problem is that they haven't even received my application from BPD yet. Mailed on November 20th. Expire in March. So, from what I'm reading, I guess I should have started over the summer! This is crazy. Maybe I'll write Maura a letter. LOL.
Donna, 2 months! I suggest that you talk with Comm2A (@Rob Boudrie) about the best way to light a fire under BPD's ass. Good luck.

Donna, 2 months! I suggest that you talk with Comm2A (@Rob Boudrie) about the best way to light a fire under BPD's ass. Good luck.
Update---just called the Firearms bureau and they just received my application from BPD on the 19th. I'm happy because that saves me a trip to BPD Headquarters. The woman that I spoke to said it may take them 4 weeks to process everything and then Boston will mail out my license. She also said that the receipt that I got for payment plus my old license is enough because the police have the ability to see that I'm renewing. What a crock.

Update---just called the Firearms bureau and they just received my application from BPD on the 19th. I'm happy because that saves me a trip to BPD Headquarters. The woman that I spoke to said it may take them 4 weeks to process everything and then Boston will mail out my license. She also said that the receipt that I got for payment plus my old license is enough because the police have the ability to see that I'm renewing. What a crock.
Donna,

Only the MIRCS receipt counts legally, as written in MGL.

The only way that a MIRCS receipt can be printed out is after the PD processes your renewal in the system. So whatever receipt you received when dropping off an application doesn't count if FRB didn't receive it, as it is an automated computer process once the data is entered. They no longer mail things back and forth (other than the actual LTC).

Quick update..... my LTC should be in today's mail. I sent in the application November 19th and my license expired on March 11th. Absolutely no communication from BPD and they don't answer the phone in licensing. I had no idea if they even received my application until Jan 19th when the Firearms bureau told me they had received it. What a joke!

Quick update..... my LTC should be in today's mail. I sent in the application November 19th and my license expired on March 11th. Absolutely no communication from BPD and they don't answer the phone in licensing. I had no idea if they even received my application until Jan 19th when the Firearms bureau told me they had received it. What a joke!
Save us White v. Cox, you’re our only hope.

I dropped my renewal paperwork off at BPD HQ on the last week of January, received my new LTC in the mail 5 weeks later, a week before my birthday… they never gave me any documentation of my application for renewal.

Read the definese - it consists of "yeah we did it, the delay did not violate any law, the act of processing licenses is discretionary and we are immune from suit".
I’m sure the MA judge is already foaming at the mouth waiting to rubber stamp anything Cox says

I dropped my renewal paperwork off at BPD HQ on the last week of January, received my new LTC in the mail 5 weeks later, a week before my birthday… they never gave me any documentation of my application for renewal.
Maybe if I had dropped it off in person???? Do you think that's the reason you had a quicker turnaround?

Back
Top Bottom