• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston LTC Renewal

Broc

NES Member
FYI ...

Posting this because there is a lack of clarity when searching online.

You will not get a receipt.
Start 6 to 7 months early (my personal recommendation).
There will be no communication from their end.

-----------------

Their Email with instructions for renewal:

RENEWALS: Processing renewal applicants will be done remotely. Applicants must submit:

1. Completed Application

2. COPY OF Expired or expiring LTC/FID

3. COPY OF Valid Massachusetts driver’s license or Massachusetts ID

4. Proof of payment.

As long as your renewal is processed prior to your expiration date, your LTC/FID will not expire. Your card will remain active. You will receive your card in the mail. The process usually takes several weeks.

PAYMENT: The fee for LTC / FID applications is $100 dollars, payable on-line at: boston.gov/police-payments Complete all relevant fields. To select the amount to pay, click the pull down box marked “Stored Items” and choose “Firearm & FID - $100” Print a copy of your payment receipt before leaving the site. If you are mailing or dropping off your application, you can pay by check or money order payable to the City of Boston. DO NOT SEND CASH!!! Renewal applicants 70 year old and over are free – no payment form needed.

UPLOAD, MAIL OR DROP OFF: The completed LTC / FID application, payment receipt, and verifying documents can be uploaded to the secure website here. The documents can be sent via US Mail to: Boston Police Licensing Unit, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston, MA 02120. You can also drop the information in the locked mailbox marked “Firearm Licensing” located at the front door of Boston Police Headquarters, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston. NO CASH!

Call the Licensing Unit with any questions - 617.343.4425

Thank you for your cooperation

Boston Police Licensing Unit

Last edited:
I got may renewal in barely in time and ccw'd on an "expired" one. The only grief I got was trying to buy ammo in ma.

Just FYI, GOAL posted a couple of months ago on their Facebook page stating that they were looking for plaintiffs to sue the city of Boston for their lengthy LTC application processing times. Don’t know if they’re still looking for plaintiffs right now, what with the HD.4420 craziness going on at the moment. They probably have more important issues to worry about currently, but on the off chance they are still looking for plaintiffs you can send an email to [email protected] to see if you want to be a plaintiff for potential litigation.

Just FYI, GOAL posted a couple of months ago on their Facebook page stating that they were looking for plaintiffs to sue the city of Boston for their lengthy LTC application processing times. Don’t know if they’re still looking for plaintiffs right now, what with the HD.4420 craziness going on at the moment. They probably have more important issues to worry about currently, but on the off chance they are still looking for plaintiffs you can send an email to [email protected] to see if you want to be a plaintiff for potential litigation.
I will not sh*t on them and will assume they are busy with HD4420. I also don't know how busy they are.

So, I encourage everyone to do some research and reach out if they are looking for people.

---------------------

Back on topic - the LTC arrived on time, but I don't know if it arrived a few days before expiration because I started so early. It would be interesting to see the results of two people doing it at the same time, one applying 6 months early, the other 3 months.

What I can tell you is the State told me my renewal was approved around 4 to 5 weeks BEFORE Boston mailed the new LTC. Where was my LTC during that time, I have no idea. The State said they did their job and I should call the PD. But Boston PD doesn't answer the phone for licensing so I Emailed them 3 times but never got a reply.

I didn't want to be stuck with an expired LTC and no receipt. Even if it shows in a computer my renewal was approved, this is MA.

Besides there being no communication or receipt, the online application process was very easy. I liked not having to schedule time to go see someone and being able to do it all whenever I had time.

I wonder if they would have told me if something was missing from the application.

------------------

The purpose of this thread is to provide people with the necessary info to renew, since Boston makes it so hard to find this on their website.

I am trying to save people the time I had to spend researching it.

Last edited:
FYI ...

-----------------

RENEWALS: Processing renewal applicants will be done remotely. Applicants must submit:

1. Completed Application

4. Proof of payment.

As long as your renewal is processed prior to your expiration date, your LTC/FID will not expire. Your card will remain active. You will receive your card in the mail. The process usually takes several weeks.

PAYMENT: The fee for LTC / FID applications is $100 dollars, payable on-line at: boston.gov/police-payments Complete all relevant fields. To select the amount to pay, click the pull down box marked “Stored Items” and choose “Firearm & FID - $100” Print a copy of your payment receipt before leaving the site. If you are mailing or dropping off your application, you can pay by check or money order payable to the City of Boston. DO NOT SEND CASH!!! Renewal applicants 70 year old and over are free – no payment form needed.

UPLOAD, MAIL OR DROP OFF: The completed LTC / FID application, payment receipt, and verifying documents can be uploaded to the secure website here. The documents can be sent via US Mail to: Boston Police Licensing Unit, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston, MA 02120. You can also drop the information in the locked mailbox marked “Firearm Licensing” located at the front door of Boston Police Headquarters, 1 Schroeder Plaza, Boston. NO CASH!

Looking at this, it looks pretty clear cut to me. Or is this your cleaned up version of something else?

The above instructions DO NOT HAVE:
appointments (months out)
waiting
references
letters (from doctors, friends, employers, or anyone else)
fingerprints
any of the other B.S. towns have thrown at applicants for new or renewals.

The ONLY problem I see here is about not getting a receipt. Does this mean the CJIS/"MIRCS" receipt people talk about? Isn't that just generated automatically when they fill out the application?

Am I missing something?

Looking at this, it looks pretty clear cut to me. Or is this your cleaned up version of something else?

waiting
references
fingerprints

The ONLY problem I see here is about not getting a receipt. Does this mean the CJIS/"MIRCS" receipt people talk about? Isn't that just generated automatically when they fill out the application?

Am I missing something?
The Email is what they send. The problem is finding the Email you have to Email to get the info.

Everything else is correct. No references, letters, fingerprints or appointment needed. The process is very straight forward, only lack of communication on their end.

@Broc has anyone at cjis/frb/eops said your renewal is in process? Explain that you followed Boston's directions but they refuse to issue mircs receipts. Which is pretty inexcusable because they can just dump it to a PDF and email it to you..... unless the ulterior motive there is obvious and they're just slow rolling things because they suck.

@Broc has anyone at cjis/frb/eops said your renewal is in process? Explain that you followed Boston's directions but they refuse to issue mircs receipts. Which is pretty inexcusable because they can just dump it to a PDF and email it to you..... unless the ulterior motive there is obvious and they're just slow rolling things because they suck.
The State confirmed the renewal was submitted and approved (2 different times). I told them I never got a receipt from Boston. The lady went silent and said "call the PD". But when I called the PD the automated emssage told me to Email them, so I Emailed them 3 times; twice to the Licensing Email, once direct to an employee that works in licensing. Nothing.

My new LTC arrived in time. But it was bullsh*t.

It is f*cking stupid the things we have to do just so we don't become felons overnight. Night before your birthday, legal. Night after your birthday "OMG!!! LTC EXPIRED, TERRORIST!". (Not quite, but close).

I don't understand why the process isn't as simple as renewing a driver's license online. Run a background check, no crimes, done.

Last edited:
FYI ...

-----------------

1. Completed Application

4. Proof of payment.

Trying to upload an application and can't get the secure website to open when I hit the link. Anyone else experience this issue?

I started my renewal process in May, my application hasn’t been sent to the state. I talked to licensing and they told me they are backed up and check back in a month and I was told the secure website has been shut down.

I started my renewal process in May, my application hasn’t been sent to the state. I talked to licensing and they told me they are backed up and check back in a month and I was told the secure website has been shut down.
Thank you. I will hand deliver and drop in the box at Police headquarters.

FYI ...
-----------------
1. Completed Application
4. Proof of payment.

waiting
references
fingerprints
Am I missing something?
The Email is what they send. The problem is finding the Email you have to Email to get the info.
Everything else is correct. No references, letters, fingerprints or appointment needed. The process is very straight forward, only lack of communication on their end.

So, to re-summarize, if they gave a MIRCS receipt right away, and had an easier or more open communications methodology, this is about as ideal as it could be in Massachusetts right now, under current law?

So, to re-summarize, if they gave a MIRCS receipt right away, and had an easier or more open communications methodology, this is about as ideal as it could be in Massachusetts right now, under current law?
Correct.

Just posting for info:

I submitted in June just after they sent me a post card saying I was expiring in November. I received an email essentially saying "thank you for submitting you renewal" yada yada - this is not a receipt etc. I called in July and the DCJIS (or whatever the acronym is) told me they hadn't received my app from Boston. I tried calling Boston and got a recorded message saying don't call us, use a specific email (it was like firearmsapps@bpd or something). I sent an email and it bounced. Basically a huge clusterf*k loop. Decided to give it some time. I will call DCJIS next week and ask if they've received my renewal and if not - it's a trip to police headquarters to determine status.

I think the big concern is if something is missing in my app and the BPD won't, or hasn't the time to, inform me.

I'm so glad that I checked back here. I had been going crazy trying to get through to Boston by phone. Their answering machine is on a loop and you can't leave a message. I clicked on your link for boston gov payments and was able to pay on line and get a receipt for my payment. They say to include that receipt along with your paper work and mail it in. At least I have proof that I paid.

I had my renewal appointment (Metrowest area) this AM because the licensing officer advised I apply now for a Feb renewal because the state is backlogged 3 months. I was asked about my latest SBR build (the officer remembered getting the notification I was required to send).

they told you bullshit
My daughter lives in Medway took almost 4 weeks last September

Worcester.

Called in June to get an appt for November. Told by Licensing that I need to wait until 3 months before my expiration date in November. I knew it was gonna be a phenomenally stupid move by them.

Called on August first. Told them I was told to call now. He fumbles over the phone after I told him it expires November.

“Can you come in October **th?”
No, I work.

“Can you come in October **th?”
Well, that’s my only option I guess.

I show up at 8am. Wait for 15 mins until an officer comes out to the lobby to ask who’s here for renewal and who’s here for safety classes. There are three people including me with one signing up in person for a class and one other there for renewal. Now mind you last time I came into the office in person and was treated very well getting the card in just over 40 days. So here in a vacant lobby he looks over my app, takes my DL, check, and comes back with a mircs 5 mins later with a stamp on it that says, “Call this number no earlier than Feb.**”

I’ll be calling Boston by mid December to check whether approval was done and then bug Worcester every day until they this is finalized. Ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom