• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston launches site: "Owning a firearm in Boston"

If nothing else you have ever posted tells me your just some DU troll that most likely never touched a gun in your life , that's it right there..

Yea, because being interested in safety makes me a danger to the Constitution...nice troll! Where's that ignore button....

Many of us have spent enough time around "Highly trained Professionals" and many of them are scarier than shit with a loaded gun.
Should someone looking to get into firearms ownership get some training ? IMHO yes..

Full-Stop - so what you're saying is, you agree with me. But you don't, because 'logic'....

I've trained a few hundred.

I don't get it - why did you bother? Did the Government mandate it? If it did, but "common sense" anyway, does it really matter?

If you think that the whole moon island set up was in the interest of public safety, you got dropped on your head a lot as an infant.
It's a horseshit requirement ment as just another roadblock to gun ownership, and frankly not worth two dead flies .
Your thinking because you manage to put a couple of bullets on paper your now somehow now magically transformed into a competent and responsible gun owner is just showing us your ass.
It's not a pretty sight either.

It's a far-sight better than carrying a gun when you a) don't know how to load it b) don't know where the safety 'thingie' is c) can't maintain control of the weapon safely d) can't operate the weapon without being a danger to yourself and e) can't hit anything CLOSE to where you're aiming.

If you don't think those skills are important, then you're a bigger moron than your post would indicate. Perhaps you'd like to advocate people shooting into crowds, accidental discharge, or general dangerous behavior as a form of firearms advocacy or "rights exercise"? What's your point, exactly? Did you fail this Moon Island test, or something? Seems to me, a person could tackle this "challenge" by finding a friend who already had a gun/permit, and could take a guest to the range....maybe that's it - you fail at the "friends" requirement....

How, EXACTLY, is demonstrating proficiency with a firearm before being granted permission for CC a "disrespect" to your rights? I can't find the passage in the Constitution where it says we have a 'right' to be irresponsible and negligent and reckless.
Curiously enough, I don't see a training requirement in "shall not be infringed". Tell me, who gets to decide the standard for this training, upon which your rights depend? Who is going to pay for said training? How long is it valid for? Do you have to re-train periodically? Do cops have to pass it too? How often will training be available, in case someone needs to protect themselves ASAP?

Yea, because being interested in safety makes me a danger to the Constitution...nice troll! Where's that ignore button....

Full-Stop - so what you're saying is, you agree with me. But you don't, because 'logic'....

I don't get it - why did you bother? Did the Government mandate it? If it did, but "common sense" anyway, does it really matter?

It's a far-sight better than carrying a gun when you a) don't know how to load it b) don't know where the safety 'thingie' is c) can't maintain control of the weapon safely d) can't operate the weapon without being a danger to yourself and e) can't hit anything CLOSE to where you're aiming.

If you don't think those skills are important, then you're a bigger moron than your post would indicate. Perhaps you'd like to advocate people shooting into crowds, accidental discharge, or general dangerous behavior as a form of firearms advocacy or "rights exercise"? What's your point, exactly? Did you fail this Moon Island test, or something? Seems to me, a person could tackle this "challenge" by finding a friend who already had a gun/permit, and could take a guest to the range....maybe that's it - you fail at the "friends" requirement....

So your position is that someone new to firearms, without friends/family who have firearms and therefore with no effective way to get access to a firearm before getting a LTC have no right to owning firearms? That is the reality here in MA, without having a LTC you can't possess a firearm, thus you can't train for this test.

This leaves you in a situation where you must get training, then you go into the PD find out about the test (Not required by law, added on by boston) and have to go and find more training just for this test. It is nothing but a roadblock put in place to discourage new gun owners. Plus the fact that a smaller woman, or the elderly, or anyone without good hand strength might have trouble even if they know guns with the double action revolver used for the test.

Curiously enough, I don't see a training requirement in "shall not be infringed". Tell me, who gets to decide the standard for this training, upon which your rights depend? Who is going to pay for said training? How long is it valid for? Do you have to re-train periodically? Do cops have to pass it too? How often will training be available, in case someone needs to protect themselves ASAP?

Don't look at it as an infringement on 2A - look at it as "This is how you prevent yourself from being charged with Negligent Homicide or Manslaughter because STUPID". If you think these tests are "hard", you probably have cerebral palsy, and might want to re-think things. As I said before, if various pro-gun states thought this was a bad idea, they wouldn't have tolerated it, and it wouldn't exist. So, lots of other gun owners out there don't have the heartburn about it that you do.

Don't look at it as an infringement on 2A - look at it as "This is how you prevent yourself from being charged with Negligent Homicide or Manslaughter because STUPID". If you think these tests are "hard", you probably have cerebral palsy, and might want to re-think things. As I said before, if various pro-gun states thought this was a bad idea, they wouldn't have tolerated it, and it wouldn't exist. So, lots of other gun owners out there don't have the heartburn about it that you do.
So perfectly liberal. I can't argue facts so i will resort to insults.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The point is not about safety, but even if it was, the gatekeepers shouldn't be the government.

Second, it's a Constitutional right. Nothing should stop someone from keeping and bearing arms. There are plenty of everyday items that are hazardous and deadly: knives, machetes, axes, chemical sprays, pesticides, propane tanks, blowtorches, OTC pain medication, etc. People use these items because they're educated on how to use them, not because they passed some test that granted them permission.

Gun skills are important, but it's a skill you acquire WITH the gun that you already purchased. Not many people drop $500 on a personal item they never intend on learning to use.

The bottom line is that the Moon Island test is simply a manufactured obstacle to purposely prevent potential gun-owners from obtaining their permit, and reduce new gun ownership among citizens.

So your position is that someone new to firearms, without friends/family who have firearms and therefore with no effective way to get access to a firearm before getting a LTC have no right to owning firearms? That is the reality here in MA, without having a LTC you can't possess a firearm, thus you can't train for this test.

This leaves you in a situation where you must get training, then you go into the PD find out about the test (Not required by law, added on by boston) and have to go and find more training just for this test. It is nothing but a roadblock put in place to discourage new gun owners. Plus the fact that a smaller woman, or the elderly, or anyone without good hand strength might have trouble even if they know guns with the double action revolver used for the test.

If this was, legitimately, a "barrier", wouldn't GOAL or Comm2A sponsor a 'bring a friend to the range' day? Or a gun-range sponsoring an 'open-house' with some training so folks could practice for the test? If this were a legit "barrier", I'd see a business opportunity, the way some folks offer SAT Prep courses to High School kids who want to better their test scores and get into a decent College. So far, I haven't heard of anyone who took this test actually sweat anything....you're just grousing about a hypothetical.

Besides, if you're of feeble hand-strength who can't handle something as simple as a revolver, how are you going to rake a slide, or check the chamber on an auto?

I get it , you think the government is the answer to everything .
Name one thing that the government touches they don't royally f*ck up and you win a cookie.
You really are a DU troll.
This "Moron" was teaching people before your parents met .
You remind me of the office punk ass that's been working someplace for six months and knows more than the people that have done the work for 20 years.
You also conveniently ignored the part about supposedly "Highly trained" people being the ones pulling many of the horror shows .
Someday when you move out of Mom's basement , or I should say IF you do , you'll have to man up and think and act like a man and stop relying on other people to make life decisions for you.
Or just end up another waste of oxygen who needs a government agency to tell you the proper amount of TP it takes to wipe your ass.
Maybe there's a government run class you can take to teach you that too.

Besides, if you're of feeble hand-strength who can't handle something as simple as a revolver, how are you going to rake a slide, or check the chamber on an auto?

Have you ever known anyone with neuropathy? I have a relative who can't rack a slide with a stock recoil spring, yet he can shoot a S&W revolver with a light action job.

My wife has arthritis, and I'd give her a 25% chance of passing the Moon Island test on a nice summer day, if they let her shoot both hands SA only. For her renewal before her January birthday with a freezing wind whipping off the Harbor, 0% chance. She can use an AR or 10/22 just fine.

You support this infringement on peoples' freedom because you don't really believe in freedom itself.

I get it , you think the government is the answer to everything .
Name one thing that the government touches they don't royally f*ck up and you win a cookie.
You really are a DU troll.
This "Moron" was teaching people before your parents met .
You remind me of the office punk ass that's been working someplace for six months and knows more than the people that have done the work for 20 years.
You also conveniently ignored the part about supposedly "Highly trained" people being the ones pulling many of the horror shows .
Someday when you move out of Mom's basement , or I should say IF you do , you'll have to man up and think and act like a man and stop relying on other people to make life decisions for you.
Or just end up another waste of oxygen who needs a government agency to tell you the proper amount of TP it takes to wipe your ass.
Maybe there's a government run class you can take to teach you that too.

I see you've finished reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People".....it did you a lot of good.

Aren't YOU one of these "Highly Trained" people you keep sh**ting on? Are any of your students (if you really had any)? Your sense of self-deprecation, or lack of self-awareness, is staggering. Maybe that's why your argument doesn't hold water. If folks like you were out-there, "getting it done", then there wouldn't be an issue for the State to involve itself with, but I have already determined that logic or reason isn't your strong suit. I attribute your surliness to your Social Security check arriving late?

The framers actually wanted us to train, they didn't say anything about it being mandatory though. [grin]

Have you ever known anyone with neuropathy? I have a relative who can't rack a slide with a stock recoil spring, yet he can shoot a S&W revolver with a light action job.

My wife has arthritis, and I'd give her a 25% chance of passing the Moon Island test on a nice summer day, if they let her shoot both hands SA only. For her renewal before her January birthday with a freezing wind whipping off the Harbor, 0% chance. She can use an AR or 10/22 just fine.

You support this infringement on peoples' freedom because you don't really believe in freedom itself.

He seems to be under a couple misconceptions, or just outright lying. First that this is not a concealed carry license only, it is needed for simple possession. Second that training is already required but does not cover this extra hurdle imposed by only 2 cities.

I asked legitimate questions, inquiring as to how your mandatory safety training scheme would work. Are you able to answer fairly simple questions or no?

If this was, legitimately, a "barrier", wouldn't GOAL or Comm2A sponsor a 'bring a friend to the range' day? Or a gun-range sponsoring an 'open-house' with some training so folks could practice for the test? If this were a legit "barrier", I'd see a business opportunity, the way some folks offer SAT Prep courses to High School kids who want to better their test scores and get into a decent College. So far, I haven't heard of anyone who took this test actually sweat anything....you're just grousing about a hypothetical.
Make up your mind - you're either making someone else pay for your test or you want people to pay out of pocket, thus alienating the poor. Which do you actually propose?

So if I like to collect WWI bolt-action rifles, I have to be able to use a different type of firearm that I have no interest in?

I see you've finished reading "How to Win Friends and Influence People".....it did you a lot of good.

Aren't YOU one of these "Highly Trained" people you keep sh**ting on? Are any of your students (if you really had any)? Your sense of self-deprecation, or lack of self-awareness, is staggering. Maybe that's why your argument doesn't hold water. If folks like you were out-there, "getting it done", then there wouldn't be an issue for the State to involve itself with, but I have already determined that logic or reason isn't your strong suit. I attribute your surliness to your Social Security check arriving late?

I'm not here to be loved.
But I do enjoys bitch slapping people who think they are either the first or best troll to hit this board.
Your not even in the top 50.
I'll be a nice guy though and give you a pro troll tip.
Many of us on here actually do know each other in real life so while your drooling on your keyboard and making statements like you make , we're having a good laugh at you , not with you.

You apparently haven't been paying attention. Comm2A crunched the numbers and there are a large number of Boston residents that have unrestricted LTCs. I don't recall if that info is at the Comm2A website, but it's been discussed here a number of times, most notably by Knuckle Dragger.

They failed to mention that no one is deemed worthy enough of an Unrestricted LTC in Boston, and contrary to their statement, protection of property isn't a legal reason in MA.

- - - Updated - - -

Touche`.

The same people who decide if you are literate when you go to the polls.

If you move to Boston with an unrestricted LTC you just renewed 1 month ago, Boston can't change the restrictions, right?

Apparently in Boston, an AR15 isn't an assault weapon provided it has two barrels... So. Double barrel AR15, anyone?

Silver_Shadow_Gilboa_Snake_04.jpg
[h=1]Gilboa "DBR" aka double barreled rifle.[/h]Its being release in usa as a 7.62 first...apparently im on the waiting list. Uses 2 standard BCG and FCG pin size and location are the same as a ar15/m16.. once they come out ill send a determination leter to the atf about RDIAS legality..

I personally dont thinks its a great idea, but possible a cool new host gun with a RDIAS spacer and modified trip . probably a pipe dream do to legality though.

If you move to Boston with an unrestricted LTC you just renewed 1 month ago, Boston can't change the restrictions, right?

Not until you renew in the city, however I have heard that they stopped or at least mostly stopped downgrading people. If you move in with an unrestricted then you seem to get unrestricted when you renew.

Boston Assault Weapons BanBoston’s assault weapons ban expands on the state law. You can learn more about this law and weapons prohibited through the City provision, and on the state’s assault weapon webpage.

****ing priceless!
Boston also bans "assault knives." Defined as any multi tool, pocket knife or other type of knife with a blade longer than 2". So they could have a spotter inside Home Depot at South Bay and arrest anyone who buys a leatherman tool.

When Boston sent out the letter to gun owners, I responded with a letter to the Mayor and Police Commissioner. Evens responded with a detailed letter that showed he'd read the letter and understood the points.

If everyone wrote him, he'd probably read them all. And we'd start being seen as an organized group, with political power.
Evans was chief in Lowell when their policy was to deny all LTC applications for anyone who was not either an elected official, a police officer, a business owner in the city (campaign contributor), or someone who was already a documented victim of a violent crime while being a resident of Lowell. If one was victimized in another city, it didn't count.

Doesn't Boston simply deny all permit applications for anyone that is not a politician or has not paid the appropriate cash tip to the correct person?

No.

- - - Updated - - -

You apparently haven't been paying attention. Comm2A crunched the numbers and there are a large number of Boston residents that have unrestricted LTCs. I don't recall if that info is at the Comm2A website, but it's been discussed here a number of times, most notably by Knuckle Dragger.

http://comm2a.org/images/PDFs/ltc_score_card_2015.pdf

Doesn't Boston simply deny all permit applications for anyone that is not a politician or has not paid the appropriate cash tip to the correct person?
No, that's NYC. Boston hands out LTCs without any issue, they just restrict a lot of them so you can't carry.

Boston also bans "assault knives." Defined as any multi tool, pocket knife or other type of knife with a blade longer than 2". So they could have a spotter inside Home Depot at South Bay and arrest anyone who buys a leatherman tool.
It's 2.5" and I don't think Boston cops care about enforcing that stupidity. I carried a scary illegal knife clipped to my back pocket the entire five years I lived and worked in Boston - never had anyone even question it.

Yes well in "Very pro gun south carolina" you don't require a license simply to buy and possess a firearm. So someone has the option of going from being a non gun owner, to buying a handgun and taking it to a range for practice without involving the state government and having to test on a skill they have had no chance to practice.

After having taken that time to learn how to use a gun, they then take your special course, do some live fire (Which they had a chance to do before, unlike our system) and get their carry permit, which ONLY COVERS CARRY. Completely different situation, but I suspect you knew that.

You've got that right! It is a huge difference! Further, in SC a gun owner without a CWP can have the gun in his/her possession while driving. A person with a CWP, if approached by a police officer, has to notify the officer that they have a CWP and are carrying. A non-licensed person is under no obligation to make such a pronouncement. I moved to SC from Boston where I had to take the Revolver test prior to getting LTC and at renewal. I am one with the crippled hands and just the idea of a test looming in the future was intimidating. My MA LTC was changed to Restrictions: NONE at my written request, when I became an NRA Pistol Instructor. As a certified NRA instructor, I was issued my SC CWP without having to test. However, because I am an instructor, I voluntarily went through the 10 hour classroom instruction and 50 shot course of fire. There are some people down here who believe that everyone should have to pass the test to carry a gun. I believe everyone ought to WANT to take training and improve gun handling skills without having the government mandate it.
Best regards.

Evans was chief in Lowell when their policy was to deny all LTC applications for anyone who was not either an elected official, a police officer, a business owner in the city (campaign contributor), or someone who was already a documented victim of a violent crime while being a resident of Lowell. If one was victimized in another city, it didn't count.

No that was his predecessor Ed Davis

Back
Top Bottom