Boston launches site: "Owning a firearm in Boston"

CAR

I was expecting this to be MDA-sponsored crap but it's actually just straight-up information on how to apply, different licenses, etc. Cool.

I'm sure they consulted with GOAL, Comm2A, the Boston Gun & Rifle Association, the Boston Urban Action Shooters, NRA instructors, and licensed residents to develop this site. [rolleyes]

At least it looks decent and isn't a propaganda fest.

The city must be seeing an uptick in questions and applications to bother with a comprehensive website.

Last edited:
I'm sure they consulted with GOAL, Comm2A, the Boston Gun & Rifle Association, the Boston Urban Action Shooters, NRA instructors, and licensed residents to develop this site. [rolleyes]

The city must be seeing an uptick in questions and applications to bother with a comprehensive website.

I didn't know these groups had any message outside their respective echo-chambers. I thought standard NES policy was that Govt. representation wasn't worth talking-to, so we just talk with each other in a leadership vacuum.

No, they were all at an "effective government" seminar that day [grin]

They failed to mention that no one is deemed worthy enough of an Unrestricted LTC in Boston, and contrary to their statement, protection of property isn't a legal reason in MA.

They failed to mention that no one is deemed worthy enough of an Unrestricted LTC in Boston, and contrary to their statement, protection of property isn't a legal reason in MA.

There are people with unrestricted in boston, just not everyone. Either special people (Cops, Doctors, lawyers) or those who manage to convince them of a "Good reason".

The only untrue thing that I saw at first glance is the statement that you have to use the state's form to tell them about a move. You can write up your own thing and send it to the new town, old town and FRB as long as you send it the way the law specifies. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but I think it requires certified mail.

The moon island test is an odd thing, they require you to have familiarity with firearms enough to pass the test but without the license you would have to know someone who has guns and can teach you or know that rental ranges were available without a license and exist at all (I think there are 2 in the state?)

CARRY RESTRICTIONSThe Boston Police Licensing Unit may place restrictions on your firearms license. If you request an unrestricted license to carry, you must show good reason to fear injury to yourself or your property, consistent with Massachusetts state law. When applying for an unrestricted license, you must send our Licensing Unit a letter stating this reason. You’ll need to include any supporting documents with this application. You’ll need to include any supporting documents with this application.

Gee I bet those single mothers in the hood working late nights getting paid cash have no reason to fear injury to themselves.

sketch-1500943071698.jpg

1lcpj2.jpg

The moon island test is an odd thing, they require you to have familiarity with firearms enough to pass the test but without the license you would have to know someone who has guns and can teach you or know that rental ranges were available without a license and exist at all (I think there are 2 in the state?)
Yep, completely nonsensical. All part of the plan to dissuade people from getting licensed.

About half of Boston LTCs are unrestricted.

Boston sucks. When my son moved there from the Cape he got such a runaround from the PD that he let his license expire. He's a high tech nurse with an extremely variable schedule, and they would tell him to "call on --- day and talk to ---. If he wasn't working he'd call and be told --- wasn't in today. After several months he gave up. Fortunately he left that hell hole and bought a house in a green town. He wanted to move to Watertown but did not based on my recommendation. Watertown and Boston lost a middle class family making 2 G's b/c of their horrible gun laws for honest legal people. The .gov drives out honest people.

Boston sucks. When my son moved there from the Cape he got such a runaround from the PD that he let his license expire. He's a high tech nurse with an extremely variable schedule, and they would tell him to "call on --- day and talk to ---. If he wasn't working he'd call and be told --- wasn't in today. After several months he gave up. Fortunately he left that hell hole and bought a house in a green town. He wanted to move to Watertown but did not based on my recommendation. Watertown and Boston lost a middle class family making 2 G's b/c of their horrible gun laws for honest legal people. The .gov drives out honest people.
When I was still in Boston the only person worth talking to was the licensing officer, John McDonough iirc. He is the one and only person that decides the fate your license and he does NOT give out unrestricted easily. I think you're ok if you move to Boston and already have unrestricted, I don't think they downgrade you; otherwise, have fun jumping through hoops for years.

When Boston sent out the letter to gun owners, I responded with a letter to the Mayor and Police Commissioner. Evens responded with a detailed letter that showed he'd read the letter and understood the points.

If everyone wrote him, he'd probably read them all. And we'd start being seen as an organized group, with political power.

About half of Boston LTCs are unrestricted.
Brookline only gives unrestricted to cops. ex cops, or very special and connected people. Even with that constraint, their "unrestricted rate" is almost exactly 1/3.

There are people with unrestricted in boston, just not everyone. Either special people (Cops, Doctors, lawyers) or those who manage to convince them of a "Good reason".

The only untrue thing that I saw at first glance is the statement that you have to use the state's form to tell them about a move. You can write up your own thing and send it to the new town, old town and FRB as long as you send it the way the law specifies. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here but I think it requires certified mail.

I've probably taught 50-75 people to shoot a revolver and how to take the test successfully. I'm not the only instructor out there who does this either. Most 1st-timers if they have shot at all they have only shot semi-autos and never touched a revolver before. I can tell you that everyone I taught and filled me in on their scores after taking the Moon Island test told me that their score was within a couple of points of what they did with me and they all passed 1st time thru.

Merely renting a gun and shooting may not be successful and there are some tricks to taking the test successfully.

Boston doesn't dick you around so much other than restrictions, Moon Island, and the wait for an appointment. They aren't a Brookline/Watertown or other towns which won't give you an appointment, want lots of extra paperwork, require additional classes, require affidavits or indemnity agreements, among other game playing.

Isn't requiring a license to merely possess let alone carry a firearm an infringement of the 2nd?? How is this any different from a poll tax or poll test?? And for the record I don't necessarily oppose poll taxes/tests as they aren't restricted via the Constitution/BOR.

The MA Supreme Judicial Court threw a tantrum in the 1970s when a hand gun banning ballot initiative didn't pass to their displeasure and declared the 2A dead letter in MA because the "militia" according to them is the National Guard. Unless the Feds do their job and enforce the constitution within the Commonwealth, the Commonwealth will continue to ignore the constitution as much as it thinks it can get away with.

I've probably taught 50-75 people to shoot a revolver and how to take the test successfully. I'm not the only instructor out there who does this either. Most 1st-timers if they have shot at all they have only shot semi-autos and never touched a revolver before. I can tell you that everyone I taught and filled me in on their scores after taking the Moon Island test told me that their score was within a couple of points of what they did with me and they all passed 1st time thru.

Merely renting a gun and shooting may not be successful and there are some tricks to taking the test successfully.

I understand, I more meant that a random person, who didn't grow up with guns reads the requirements, takes a safety class where they don't know enough to ask the instructor about the moon island test. Now they go in, put in the papers and are in a bind, not knowing how to learn to shoot well enough to pass the test.

Back
Top Bottom