Boston having a gun buy back

I wonder if they will give me $200 for an evil (shitty a2) pistol grip off my ar?

Can you imagine how many collectible firearms are being turned in? The things grandpa had in the attic from the war... Oh the humanity!!!
The video on tonights news had them carrying away a large plastic tote full of rifles. Looked like a couple numbers matching K98's and Russian sniper Mosin's. LOL[rofl]

But seriously, I bet someone ends up with a very nice collection as a result of these "buy backs".[sad2]

From the link in post #35. Written on 12-13-2011 by EddieCoyle. (Before Liawatha became our Senior Senator.)

Food Retailers Announce Permanent Groceries For Guns Program

WORCESTER - Because of the rousing success of the December 2011 gun buyback, with over 100 dangerous weapons removed from the streets, Whole Foods, Roche Bros, and Trader Joes have joined with Wegmans to announce their new permanent "Groceries for Guns" program.

Under this program, anyone turning in any gun at any time will receive a gift card that can be exchanged for $50 worth of groceries. The strong turnout in Worcester has prompted the retailers to expand the program to Boston, Springfield, Brockton, Lowell, Lawrence, Fitchburg, and Holyoke. The police departments in these cities will be ready to accept guns in exchange for gift cards by the beginning of May.

Earlier today, Senator Elizabeth Warren introduced "The Safe Communities Act", a bill to provide federal tax breaks for retailers who participate in gun buyback programs.

Later today, Governor Patrick is expected to sign into law his One Gun A Month bill. Community leaders across the state are praising the Governor for his latest gun control initiative, citing the huge increase in weapons seized during the buyback programs as a clear indicator that the state needs stricter gun control to crack down on gun crime.

It is a non-issue. Don't do it.

White Feather
I'm sorry, did I miss the one gun a month legislation being signed into law?

Gun buybacks have the potential to be a huge PR win for our side; their side cannot defend them yet they continue to do them.

WE NEED PR WINS

Stop fighting it and start helping to figure out a way to take advantage of their vulnerabilities.

Either that or we can all go back to shaking our fists and pulling our hair and whining about gun buy backs.

Should I turn this in for $200?

I would take the $200 and put it towards a brand new gun manufactured in a free(er) state!

Or would that still annoy people?

3bccf68e18b09376fb668fd8321edbaa.png

Hmmm, wonder if the wifey will get rid of her Raven then for $200 clams

There is no benefit to a gun buyback to the other side other than to their own personal political futures. They will NEVER be able to point to a crime and say "See? The gun buyback prevented this"! Never. There is NO REAL BENEFIT to a buyback any more than there is a real benefit to any other daily speech given by a politician.

Of course there is. They take photos in front of a table full of guns that they've bought 'back', exaggerate what they have, and use it to convince Molly Minivan and Sally Soccer Mom that there really is a gun problem, and that something needs to be done about it.

If you participate in a gun buyback, you hate freedom.

Of course there is. They take photos in front of a table full of guns that they've bought 'back', exaggerate what they have, and use it to convince Molly Minivan and Sally Soccer Mom that there really is a gun problem, and that something needs to be done about it.

If you participate in a gun buyback, you hate freedom.
So what you're saying is if you don't agree with me you hate puppies.

Gotchya.

So what you're saying is if you don't agree with me you hate puppies.

Gotchya.

No. What I'm saying is that $200 for your Raven is a good deal considering it comes with your self-respect, dignity, and morals thrown in.

Answer this:

If the other side is trying to convince people on the fence that there's a gun problem, what helps them? An empty table and a gun buyback that no one shows up for, or a table overflowing with guns?

Would this Bloomberg photo-op work better if there were cupcakes on the table instead of your Raven?

gun-seizure-nyc.jpg

You're trying to convince people to play right into their hands.

Were you just trolling when you were saying "WE NEED PR WINS"?

Last edited:
No. What I'm saying is that $200 for your Raven is a good deal considering it comes with your self-respect, dignity, and morals thrown in.

Answer this:

If the other side is trying to convince people on the fence that there's a gun problem, what helps them? An empty table and a gun buyback that no one shows up for, or a table overflowing with guns?

Would this Bloomberg photo-op work better if there were cupcakes on the table instead of your Raven?

gun-seizure-nyc.jpg

+1

Answer this:

gun-seizure-nyc.jpg

You're just wrong, plain and simple. You seem to think that there won't be guns there if we don't participate.

And the only person trolling here is you with relentless ad hominem attacks calling into question my love for freedom, my morals and whatever else, because we disagree on something.

Go look in a mirror before you give ME any more infractions, troll.

I'm wrong in saying that a table full of guns is more helpful to the other side than an empty table?

Please explain.

Rather than attack me, attack my argument.

I'm wrong in saying that a table full of guns is more helpful to the other side than an empty table?

Please explain.

Rather than attack me, attack my argument.

I've been attacking your (and other identical) arguments in this whole thread. You've come at me with ad hominem attacks. Stop it.

How does it help? People know there are guns in the hands of the public. What news is it that they bought some guns? What does it prove? They are silly in saying that this program prevents crime. We have the stats on our side. They admit that.

How does it help to show guns?

How would my Raven on the table change anything?

How would a $100,000 donation to Comm2A help things?

Does have wood paneling make a gun "inactive"?

My guns lead rather sedentary american lifestyles so probably wouldnt be "active" enough for mayor walsh.

i would give anything to hear him expound on what active guns look like. Thats like saying one can spot which cars are going to be involved in collisions....hahaha

Want to show the world the folly of gun buybacks? Invite a reporter along for the turn in of 5 ravens and same day purchase of a Windham AR with the credit cards.
How would that article go?
AP Boston Mass. A man turned in 5 Saturday Night Specials and used the money to buy an AR 15 Assault Rifle, the same type of weapon that mowed down 22 children and teachers at the Sandy Hook Massacre. Because the buyback was anonymous, and we refuse to name him because we have a constitutional right to protect or sources, the buyer remains at large.
The subject is being called a person of interest and is being sought after by local law enforcement. "These weapons have no place on our streets" says Sgt Jack MeHoff.
A shelter in place order has been issued. It is believed that the alleged potential spree killer may have planned his activities on the internet. If you have any information please, drop a dime. "

How does it help? People know there are guns in the hands of the public. What news is it that they bought some guns? What does it prove? They are silly in saying that this program prevents crime.

They're not saying that the programs prevent crime. In fact, they come right out and admit that gun buy backs do not prevent crime in any significant way. They admit that anybody likely to use a gun in a crime is very unlikely to turn it in for a gift card - and yet they continue to have gun buy backs. Why is that?

The reason they still do it is that they get political and PR benefits from these programs. The get to point to a 'successful' gun buyback and tell the public that there really is a gun problem. They get to play the "This-may-not-stop-crimials-but-if-one-child's-life-was-saved-it-was-worth-it" card, and they get to stand in front of the choir that they've been preaching to and say that at least they're doing something.

They do it because it makes them look good and helps them to raise money so they can stay in office. Why can't you see that? Of course they'll get a few guns if we don't participate; but they'll get more guns if we do, and that's good for them.

It looks like you've found yourself on the wrong side of this argument, have dug in your heels, and can't let go.

I merged the two threads.

As for buybacks, it doesn't matter if they get one gun or one hundred guns, they'll still get in front of a TV camera and crow about "guns they took off the street." Participating in one only plays into the anti-gun propaganda idea that "all guns are bad." (And frankly I bet that more than half the guns they show are borrowed from some evidence locker anyway.)

They're not saying that the programs prevent crime. In fact, they come right out and admit that gun buy backs do not prevent crime in any significant way. They admit that anybody likely to use a gun in a crime is very unlikely to turn it in for a gift card - and yet they continue to have gun buy backs. Why is that?

The reason they still do it is that they get political and PR benefits from these programs. The get to point to a 'successful' gun buyback and tell the public that there really is a gun problem. They get to play the "This-may-not-stop-crimials-but-if-one-child's-life-was-saved-it-was-worth-it" card, and they get to stand in front of the choir that they've been preaching to and say that at least they're doing something.

They do it because it makes them look good and helps them to raise money so they can stay in office. Why can't you see that? Of course they'll get a few guns if we don't participate; but they'll get more guns if we do, and that's good for them.

It looks like you've found yourself on the wrong side of this argument, have dug in your heels, and can't let go.
Now you're accusing me of arguing intellectually dishonestly, saying that I know I'm wrong, but I'm just "digging in my heels". Are you able to disagree and discuss without attacking motives?

The reason I am for doing this is precisely because they believe that they are getting good political self-congratulatory PR out of this. You're exactly right that's why they are doing this.

Showing them to be fools is the bonus point in doing it.Showing them to be the kinds of people who do something that either 1) they knew it wouldn't work but did it anyway, or 2) they hatched an ill-advised plan.

Getting above (2-4x) market for a Raven and giving the money to Comm2A or Windham weaponry and drain their funds and use their own program against them is/was the original goal.

Let's try a Ben Franklin Ledger, listing pros and cons

On the not-do-it side of the ledger: They will accomplish their goal if we stand by idly. They will have their table of guns.

On the do-it side of the ledger: They will accomplish their goal if we sell them Ravens. It doesn't matter. They will have their table of guns.
There's a hint of opportunity to embarrass them
There's financial incentives to Comm2A and/or a gun maker.

- - - Updated - - -

I merged the two threads.

As for buybacks, it doesn't matter if they get one gun or one hundred guns, they'll still get in front of a TV camera and crow about "guns they took off the street." Participating in one only plays into the anti-gun propaganda idea that "all guns are bad." (And frankly I bet that more than half the guns they show are borrowed from some evidence locker anyway.)

Exactly, except I don't see how you can say all of the other stuff but come to the conclusion that participating plays into their hands? lol I'm missing something.

If you want to make some money, park nearby with a sign on your car offering to pay 50 cents on the dollar for the gift cards.

These events don't bother me except for the fact that it is fueled by anti gun pants shitting. If someone has a gun they don't want, let them make some money.

Also, I don't really see a down side to ghetto people getting their ghetto guns out of the ghetto.

It ought to be a policy that any NES member outing themselves for turning in a gun to a buyback gets banned from NES for life.

The money for the gun buybacks come from somewhere. Making it known who funds these things and boycotting those businesses should be SOP for all of us and our families.

They will accomplish their goal if we stand by idly.

No, they will not. Do your research. These programs are bringing in fewer and fewer guns. Our participation can only revitalize them.

You want to embarrass them? How? And to who? Are you going to get all the pro-2A reporters at the Globe to write exposes to show how a small fraction of the money spent on gun buybacks goes to Comm2A or gun manufacturers? I'm sure they'll get right on that.

Last edited:
If you want to make some money, park nearby with a sign on your car offering to pay 50 cents on the dollar for the gift cards.

These events don't bother me except for the fact that it is fueled by anti gun pants shitting. If someone has a gun they don't want, let them make some money.

Also, I don't really see a down side to ghetto people getting their ghetto guns out of the ghetto.
Once they sell those "GHETTO GUNS" they come looking for houses to break in to with more guns so they can restock for next year's buyback...possibly your guns!

No, they will not. Do your research. These programs are bringing in fewer and fewer guns. Our participation can only revitalize them.

You want to embarrass them? How? And to who? Are you going to get all the pro-2A reporters at the Globe to write exposes to show how a small fraction of the money spent on gun buybacks goes to Comm2A or gun manufacturers? I'm sure they'll get right on that.
While I've been saying "reporter", the Globe is dead.

Long live YouTube! Can you imagine 1,000,000 views across the country of NES members turning in their Ravens and buying ARs or donating to NRA or Comm2A with the proceeds of a gun buy back?

And if everyone across the country started doing it?

You haven't addressed the "using their own funds against them" part yet.

Thinking about that, perhaps this is the right time to kill them. Besides the previous arguments, they have upped the money to try to attract more guns. If we use that against them by draining their funds and when they catch one to what we are doing if they try to set complicated pricing schemes...

Perhaps now's the time to push them over!

Anyway Been nice getting to discuss the ideas.

Thinking about that, perhaps this is the right time to kill them. Besides the previous arguments, they have upped the money to try to attract more guns. If we use that against them by draining their funds and when they catch one to what we are doing if they try to set complicated pricing schemes...

Perhaps now's the time to push them over!

Anyway Been nice getting to discuss the ideas.

You're not going to drain their funds. The more guns they legitimately get from buy-backs, the more funds (your funds and mine) they'll get to run more and more.

Maybe they do, sort of irrelevant though.

Actually it is relevant, not only because it was my contention that we could drain their limited funding, but also because if it was tax dollars I might very well have a different view on it.

Last edited:
Actually it is relevant, because if it was tax dollars I might very well have a different view on it.

I highly doubt that these are 100% funded by private donors. They may be supplying gift cards, but I bet we're still paying the cops and other "public servants" to be there. (I have no idea if this is true or not, just an assumption on my part.)

Either way it makes no difference. A "successful" buy back is one where many guns are collected. If you add to the pile you make it more "successful." Pretty simple to understand, even for a dummy like me.

Back
Top Bottom