• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bore Cleaner

Any suggestions for a quality bore cleaner for a shotgun with lots of build up ? Looks like it was used often then left in attic for several years.

If there's gunk built up inside the bore, I'd buy like two big containers of Hoppe's and let that soak in. Or, maybe brake cleaner?

Clean it with an appropriate cleaning product per instructions on the can
choke clean.png

and re-evaluate.
If needs be judicious application of a 10ga brush on a cleaning rod chucked up in a cordless drill will get tough stuff out as well as polishing the bore a bit. Spin the brush in the same direction it's threaded onto the shank so it doesn't fall off.
If there is still plastic in the bore acetone will get it out. (Obligatory mention of outside the house with appropriate PPE). Be sure to reclean with #9 or something and lube liberally after using aggressive solvents.

If the buildup is real bad use whatever solvent you fee appropriate. I use hoppes

Attach a drill to the cleaning rod......attach the brass brush to the rod and use the drill to spin the brush while you move the rod throughout the bore.

Use the drill then solvent soaked patches.....use the drill then solvent soaked patches. 3-4 cycles of drill brush and patches and you should be good.

Shotguns and plastic not a problem I've had but another one is tetra. Stuff is thick like honey and works over time - I use it in AR bolt carriers and chambers for baked on residue and brass lay it in thick and wait 20 minutes, brush out what came loose, rinse w/ gun scrubber so I can see what's up and repeat as needed.

Look up the recipe for Ed's Red. The acetone in it does a great job dissolving the plastic residue from the wads.

Do a 50/50 mix of liquid KROIL & Hoppes #9. Run a soaked mop through, let sit and whenever you pass by, re-swab. Keep it wet for 24 hours.

Look up the recipe for Ed's Red. The acetone in it does a great job dissolving the plastic residue from the wads.

this

the responses for hoppes and the like are ignorant to the plastic wad buildup that can be found in a neglected shotgun. Standard pistol / rifle bore cleaners are for copper and lead, and do next to nothing for plastic wad fouling. Even brake cleaner that is great at blasting awat carbon, is no match for plastic wad fouling. Use straight acetone, or acetone or a ATF mix

Shooters choice MC7 is the shit for plastic wad fouling. Shooters choice also makes a shotgun and choke tube cleaner that works great but it's an aerosol and I don't like using aerosol gun cleaning products.

this

the responses for hoppes and the like are ignorant to the plastic wad buildup that can be found in a neglected shotgun. Standard pistol / rifle bore cleaners are for copper and lead, and do next to nothing for plastic wad fouling. Even brake cleaner that is great at blasting awat carbon, is no match for plastic wad fouling. Use straight acetone, or acetone or a ATF mix
Ignorant? I speak from experience.

All I have ever used on shotguns is hoppes #9. And I hunt and shoot clay ALOT. Weekly. When I use hoppes the bore is perfectly clean and the plastic residue is gone even it the plastic buildup is excessive. Literally......millions of hunters and clay shooters ARE NOT WRONG. Hoppes will clean a shotgun bore just fine.

Ignorant? I speak from experience.

All I have ever used on shotguns is hoppes #9. And I hunt and shoot clay ALOT. Weekly. When I use hoppes the bore is perfectly clean and the plastic residue is gone even it the plastic buildup is excessive. Literally......millions of hunters and clay shooters ARE NOT WRONG. Hoppes will clean a shotgun bore just fine.
Hoppes #9 is mostly Kerosene and ethenol should eat up wad plastic pretty well.

Hoppes #9 is mostly Kerosene and ethenol should eat up wad plastic pretty well.
I'm not a chemist lol. I'm also not ignorant as SJan says.

I have just cleaned shotguns for decades with hoppes along with....like.....millions of shot gunners and hunters for the last 50 years and it cleans great even the plastic comes out.

I'm not a chemist lol. I'm also not ignorant as SJan says.

I have just cleaned shotguns for decades with hoppes along with....like.....millions of shot gunners and hunters for the last 50 years and it cleans great even the plastic comes out.
thats it. You use what works. My dad liked warm water and dish soap and 3in1 oil for rust protection

I meant no personal attack, I am sorry if I have offended.

My suggestion to the OP is based on what I know (from personal experience) to work better than Hoppes at quickly and easily removing plastic wad buildup.
Using a brush in a drill to aggressively scrub the fouling will surely work as well. But its the brush doing the work.

My suggestion to the OP is based on what I know (from personal experience) to work better than Hoppes at quickly and easily removing plastic wad buildup.
Using a brush in a drill to aggressively scrub the fouling will surely work as well. But its the brush doing the work.
Hoppes works fine without the brush too. Always has for me.

I only use the drill and brush if the residue is thick.

I just researched the ingredients in hoppes #9 and it has amyl acetate.

Googled amyl acetate and one of the uses is in dry cleaning to.......remove plastic based stains. Now ....are there "better" solvents out there for plastic wad residue.....I'm sure there are. But hoppes according to what I'm researching will dissolve soft plastics.

It is also an organic compound and is used as a flavoring agent.....and smells like banana. I thought that was interesting......hoppes does have a slight odor of artificial banana imo

Last edited:
Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner
A bronze or nylon shotgun bore brush
A shotgun bore mop
A Bore Tech plastic shotgun jag and cotton patches
Oil barrel lightly before putting away

Easy Peasy!

Attachments

• 4126t6T9OjL._SX425_.jpg
    4126t6T9OjL._SX425_.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 3
Hoppe's and a shotgun gauge bore snake is all I've ever used. I don't shoot enough to get 'build up.' I just clean & lube (w/ e.g. RemOil) before storage.

What about any of the foaming bore cleaners? Hoppe's makes one. I've used Gunslick Pro foam and was impressed with the results in ARs and .308's. Not sure what they do with the plastic build-up. They seem to advertise for copper and powder fouling, and don't mention plastic specifically.

OP - what *is* your build-up? lead? powder/carbon? plastic?

Back
Top Bottom