"bodyguard bulletproof jacket"

Damian,

NES may be a rough crowd for criticism. But take it constructively. Website does look better now and have more information than I recall it having we when we were initially emoting skepticism.

No worries - I have REALLY thick skin.

Damian,

NES may be a rough crowd for criticism. But take it constructively. Website does look better now and have more information than I recall it having we when we were initially emoting skepticism.

Ha - no worries, I have a really thick skin.

When you get it, give me a call and I will help you test it. :)

It's still gonna hurt like hell. I bet it feels pretty much like getting hit by a sledgehammer. Maybe not 380 or 9mm, but anything that starts with a 4 will probably leave you with the nastiest bruise you have ever had in your life.

Not exactly. The 3A will take most any handgun. Plus we add another layer of protection that increases it by about 10%. But at the end of the day...you're not dead.

Agreed.. But wearing body armor as part of your EDC is kinda warm. Actually REALLY warm. this is kind of a SHTF jacket idea.

SHTF i'd take plates over a jacket anyday regardless of warmth or weight. my set up is around 21 pounds which is decent, clearly can get a lot lower but paying 1000k for plats that you might never need?

It doesn’t quite look like a normal jacket. You can see the protected areas pretty clearly even in the posed still promo photos. Sure it’s probably a nice option for someone expecting to maybe get shot at in their day to day line of work, but unless that’s your situation...

First, if you're LOOKING for the BPP, you're going to see it. But walking around in the crowd - as I do... a lot. NO ONE has any idea. It's like if you new someone was wearing a wig - you could tell they were wearing a wig.

I throw this on going to the mall, the movies - commuting in the city - anywhere I think I'm going to be exposed.

Now about the comment "someone expecting to get shot..."

Why do civilians conceal carry? If you carry a firearm it's assumed you're going to use deadly force. Part of those justified use of deadly force situations is FACING SOMEONE WITH A FIREARM.

Now if you carry, and you don't wear BPP, it doesn't make much sense. You carry a firearm just in case you face someone with a gun, yet you don't wear bulletproof protection????

I could make an argument that the BPP should come first. Either way, if you're expecting to face someone with a gun...shouldn't you assume they may shoot back?

SHTF i'd take plates over a jacket anyday regardless of warmth or weight. my set up is around 21 pounds which is decent, clearly can get a lot lower but paying 1000k for plats that you might never need?

Well...you need to look at the numbers first, then make a decision.

Over 80% of violent crime is committed with firearms that can be stopped by the 2A
92% of violent crimes
Stats here: Civilian Guide to Buying Bulletproof Body Armor - The Self Defense Training System

Truth is for everyday wear - soft armor is still the way to do.

You're not going to throw on 21 pounds to go get a bottle of milk. It's just not practical and not what people are going to use.

Also - 21 pounds is A TON. We have a stand alone Level 3plus plate (composite) that weigh about 1.5 kg each. We're releasing it with our new backpack.

And we're working on a plate carrier version for the bodyguard jacket line. I'm waiting for the prototype from the factory - the last one made me look pregnant and hunchback.

Agreed.. But wearing body armor as part of your EDC is kinda warm. Actually REALLY warm. this is kind of a SHTF jacket idea.

SHTF for me would be my plate carriers... heavy and hot, but if it really is SHTF than I'll suffer.

No worries - I have REALLY thick skin.

If you have really thick skin, then do you really need BPP? just kidding.
I think you need better lighted pictures. I can't really make out the details on the black jacket.

Are you guys shitting me?

1. I can actually afford this jacket. I have a leather jacket that cost me $500
2. These are actually something that you can wear without drawing attention. You are not going to Walmart in tactical gear without causing a serious problem.
3. The jackets actually look great. And they are basically tailored to fit.
4. 7 months of the year, you have to wear a jacket anyway in New England. Why the hell wouldn't I want to be wearing one that will stop most handgun rounds?
5. I am buying one.

I do have one question though. I know most soft body armor has a shelf life. How long are these jackets good for?

All NIJ certifications last 5 years - it's industry standard, but people have shot ones much older without issue.

The whole purpose of the jacket was two - make something you would actually wear - and something that people can afford.

Now I know there are vests that are cheaper - but how often are you going to wear a vest? I have a BBP Vest and a Plate carrier.

I wore the BPP when I used to Bodyguard (a long time ago) and the plate carrier I never wear - that's SHTF stuff.

But, I do throw this on when I go to places I feel I'm going to be exposed.

Once again - thanks for allowing me to post - it's been about 4 years since I've posted on a forum, it's kind of nice.

It also tells me how old we are.

Well...you need to look at the numbers first, then make a decision.

Over 80% of violent crime is committed with firearms that can be stopped by the 2A
92% of violent crimes
Stats here: Civilian Guide to Buying Bulletproof Body Armor - The Self Defense Training System

Truth is for everyday wear - soft armor is still the way to do.

You're not going to throw on 21 pounds to go get a bottle of milk. It's just not practical and not what people are going to use.

Also - 21 pounds is A TON. We have a stand alone Level 3plus plate (composite) that weigh about 1.5 kg each. We're releasing it with our new backpack.

And we're working on a plate carrier version for the bodyguard jacket line. I'm waiting for the prototype from the factory - the last one made me look pregnant and hunchback.

i'd be interested to see your composite. Does it stop all 5.56?

21 pounds is around the same number military plate carriers are this is fully loaded, 6 extra mags, med kit and radio. I can see the appeal but my body armor get used when it's go time inside the house or shtf .

What kind of pricing is your new plates?

SHTF for me would be my plate carriers... heavy and hot, but if it really is SHTF than I'll suffer.

If you have really thick skin, then do you really need BPP? just kidding.
I think you need better lighted pictures. I can't really make out the details on the black jacket.

Well, the black helps conceal the protection.

You should also know that the protection just zips into the fleece - and we're coming out with other outerwear (a vest is one of them) so you can wear it year round.

I've worn this in 70 plus weather and it's fine. When you get over 80 it starts to get a little steamy. But that's why we're coming out with the vest. But again...you're wearing BPP.

Well, the black helps conceal the protection.

You should also know that the protection just zips into the fleece - and we're coming out with other outerwear (a vest is one of them) so you can wear it year round.

I've worn this in 70 plus weather and it's fine. When you get over 80 it starts to get a little steamy. But that's why we're coming out with the vest. But again...you're wearing BPP.

I'm ok with the black, but the pictures aren't lit well enough for me to see all the details. Look around on other clothing websites. They usually have multiple pictures of the jacket from all angles( open, closed, inside, out, front, back), and usually allow you to zoom in on any area to get an idea of the details.

My concern with using such thin panels is the energy, yeah the bullet won't penetrate but the deformation of the panel in to your chest will do some serious damage. Better than nothing I guess. If I ever feel compelled to wear body armor in any AO, I'm not grabbing a jacket.

How is the protection of the front torso in the zipper area? Do the panels overlap, butt up, or does a strip of no ballistic protection exist? Not too sure how ballistic products normally deal with this type of situation. Cool product though. Certainly priced to be within most consumers reach. Love to see some actual live footage of product in use since the available pics on website leave much to be desired.

EDIT: Never mind. Found all my quesztions answered in one of the videos on website. Must have missed it on first pass...

Last edited:
Website doesn't look bad - I'm guessing it was improved since the original post.

Two pieces of website advice:

1) Get rid of the three !!! at the end of this. Use a single !
upload_2018-3-13_10-1-22.png

2) Get rid of this obnoxious pop-up. Or at least make a more obvious way to dismiss it. Either a big X within the box (not in the corner of the screen), or a "no thanks" link.

upload_2018-3-13_10-2-17.png

Good luck!!!!!!

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-13_10-1-18.png
    upload_2018-3-13_10-1-18.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 4
Website doesn't look bad - I'm guessing it was improved since the original post.

Two pieces of website advice:

1) Get rid of the three !!! at the end of this. Use a single !
View attachment 225742

2) Get rid of this obnoxious pop-up. Or at least make a more obvious way to dismiss it. Either a big X within the box (not in the corner of the screen), or a "no thanks" link.

View attachment 225743

Good luck!!!!!!

Look, thanks for your marketing advice - but we kind of know what we're doing here. If clicking X is an issue for you...I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea.. I don't know what all the pessimism is about. This forum always amazes me. Guys are all hot for some shitty 9mm carbine or some new POS ruger is selling, but shit on a company that actually makes an innovative product.

Its a jacket with Kevlar panels in it.. it should work fine. Of course its not as good as a real vest.. but a real vest sucks to wear all day. Id much rather throw on my jacket and zip it up.

This looks like a great option for non uniformed days at work.. As I hate wearing a vest all day. I will definitely check this out.

Last edited:
Look, thanks for your marketing advice - but we kind of know what we're doing here. If clicking X is an issue for you...I don't know what to tell you.

I had the same "issue" with that massive pop up. No, it didn't take too long to figure out how to dismiss it, but I never did see an "X". I just completely closed the window, which is what I usually do with pop ups. And if you want to sell stuff, then making people want to close the window isn't a good step.

I'm not trying to be an a$$... maybe it comes naturally for me. I'm just offering my opinion as someone who does a lot of online shopping/research. Make the site easy and intuitive and make people want to stay on your page.

my set up is around 21 pounds which is decent, clearly can get a lot lower
For everyday wear, even the 5lb "beast" model is going to be within the acceptable range for most, IMHO.

Of my short jackets, the heaviest is a full-grain leather jacket that comes in at 6.5 lbs. You know you're wearing it, if it were any heavier it would become annoying.

Back
Top Bottom