BOB/pack.

If you're gonna bug in you need a BIB. [smile]

If you are gonna bug in you don’t need a BOB??

Wait….. just in case you HAVE to bug out you might want to get uncle BOB, practice and get use to using it in extreme situations and not plan on buging in…or bugging out, but be prepared for both. And that is where this thread lies, the weight of your bag if you have one.

Cut & Paste from another site. Great Link: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.0

Cold Weather B.O.B.

We've got about 1' of snow and have had temperatures down to -20 Celcius (-4 Fahrenheit), and it's mid-November. Gear in your BOB has to be a little different. Note; not all items I carry everyday are listed. Also, some 'sensitive ' items are not shown, given that I am in Canada

Clothing- mukluks may be substituted for leather boots.
- Layers of clothing. Polypro, fleece, goretex and thinsulate. Toque (watchcap) is a must. Avoid overheating, it is easy to dehydrate in the cold. All of my clothing is my old issued uniform, (I'm recently retired) but there are so many other military guys running around that it wouldn't raise any alarms.

Water- I only keep the Nalgene full, as all my water containers will freeze. I can chip ice out of the wide-mouthed nalgene bottle. The remainder will be partialy filled at the time of need. Partialy filling the water bottles allows the water to keep moving, avoiding freezing. 2 Litre has strap and case to be worn next to the body. A frozen meal can also be thawn/ brought to body temperature by slipping it in the canteen case between the warmed water and the body.

Radios- two radios, as they tend to suck in the cold. Experience tells me to carry more than one.

Batteries- Lithium tends to work better in the cold. Like radios, strobe, gps, etc, they get carried close to the body to keep warm.

Photomap- note seasonal changes. Secluded routes become less so once the leaves drop.

High energy snacks- Lots.

IFAK- (Immediate First Aid Kit) I.V. bags need to be kept warm, so inside parka they go.

Anyhow, here is my list.

1 Underwear- polypro shorts, long bottoms and long sleeved top
2 Polyfleece top and bottom.
3 Cargo pants.
4 Parka and snowpants- Goretex and thinsulate.
5 Polypro necker. A tube that can be used like a scarf and facemask.
6 Fleece toque. (watchcap)
7 Socks- Woolo/polypr blend outer, polypro inner.
8 Goretex & thinsulate boots, vibram sole.
9 Flight gloves, Goretex&thinsulate 3-finger mitts.
10 1 litre canteen with tin cup, windshield andd puritabs.
11 2 Litre flexible canteen with bag, slung under parka to thaw water.
12 Puristraw water purifier.
13 1 litre nalgene bottle. Wide mouth allows me to chip ice out to thaw.
14 2 x frs radios with earpieces, lithium batteries. “2 is 1, 1 is none.” (edit- newer GMRS replaced these, working on HAM license.)
15 Spare batteries
16 Strobe with spare lithium battery.
17 Flourescent orange personal panel.
18 3 x glowsticks. Carried inside parka to keep warm.
19 Compass with case.
20 GPS with spare lithium batteries.
21 Photomap with RVs, routes, hazards, etc, marked.
22 MRE with spare heater.
23 High energy snacks & Medicines.. Powergels, fruit bars, energy bars.
24 Folding stove with heat tablets.
25 Toilet paper.
26 Lighter with guntape and paracord tie-off.
27 Simple, strong knife, with tie-off and copper wire.
28 Saw
29 50’ paracord.
30 2 zapstraps.
31 Lists-contacts, numbers, pers info, critical documents with photocopies.
32 1G zip drive, extensive pers info and critical documents.
33 Safety pins
34 Waist strap for rucksack.
35 Attachment straps x 2.
36 (Not shown) Reflective patches- IR, visible light and “Ranger Eye”
37 Trauma management kit. Separate waist bag. (Old camera bag.)
38 4 x bungee cords, for poncho.
39 Army poncho.
40 Mini leatherman.
41 Cash; bills and coins, pre-paid calling cards. (Silver added)
42 B.O.B.- Issued NBC bag (was issued for Nuke suit) modified with extra pockets, straps, etc.

Not shown- Skis, boots, poles. Sled with harness and more 72 hour gear (tent, stove, sleep bag, ice block, axe, etc.) in car.

BOBnumbered.jpg

Last edited:
My primary bug out bag is an ultralight. It contains , A KaBar , 4 Red Bulls , and a Snickers bar.
It fits nicely in the little pack attached to my unicycle.

My secondary keeps evolving. I can't even decide if I prefer the 3 Day assault pack , or the '80's style Alice pack.

I have no intention of trying to live out of my pack for more than a week or so at best , or using it to become the next generation of Mountain Men. It's purpose is to sit in the truck until I get to my cabin where I have a good stash of food , ammo , space , & friendly locals who know me. If I can't drive all the way , then my BOB fits on my back , and I walk the rest , which will indeed suck.

I don't carry a stove , I think I can cook well enough with fire. I do have redundant fire making kits and a small nestled cook pot/cups set.

Last trip out I tried bringing a tomahawk , an Estwing I got for Christmas. Overall : I don't think so , the kabar does almost everything better , and more.

This year , over the Fall & early winter I began experimenting with Mountain House Foods. Big thumbs up , except for the price. While ammo is currently unobtainium , I am trying to stock up on the 2 dinner per pack Mountain entrees. ... The dried mangos are , however , disgusting.

The rest of the packs space is full of the usual suspects. Lighting , FAK, maps & compass , personal hygiene , rain & cold gear ... I won't bore you , nothing special - no 400 dollar custom knives or titanium mini tool trinkets.

What I do have that I consider invaluable is a whole lot of time ( relative to me ) of using the stuff that's in it , and having had the luxury to fine tune my junk on fun weekends instead of under really bad circumstances.

This year , over the Fall & early winter I began experimenting with Mountain House Foods. Big thumbs up , except for the price.

I could live off the chili mac pro packs all year round. Agree on the price though. [smile]

My local EMS is having a sale on Mountain House dinners ( mylar packs ). 15% off of six , 20% off of 12 , so I scored another half dozen , i am going back today for another 12. - I try to leave several behind cached at my little cabin whenever I can.

Since I last dropped by I bought a new medium Alice pack. And a used GI pack frame. It was cheap and I wanted to experiment. Its not as big as the no name frameless pack I was using. Which led me to take another look at all contents I have been dragging around. I know there are more advanced packs out there , in lots of ways but the Alice gear reminds me of my late teens and 20's w/ the National Guard. I am somehow reassured by its familiarity. I think I may be old now , I carry a steel pistol , too.

This thread got me fine tuning the objective of a 3 day bag. I was getting a little vague in its purpose. Enough fro 3 days , with a bit of long term tool selection , and a bit of random catch-all for the weird stuff that accumulates ...

I am in the process of adding a whole new .. layer .. to my system : A longer term Base Camp Box. Trying figure out the container , maybe a pair or trio of 5 gal buckets ? The idea is to throw them in the car and be able to set up a comfy little camp supplied for a much longer outing. Sort of a Refugee Box.

At least it'll get all this crap sorted out and off my tables ...

Berghaus ruck with estimated 80 lbs. I am used to haul heavy loads (go infantry), and rather slow down the pace than missing stuff.

For that person that suggests a Get Home Bag is abject lunacy, well you're over a decade late to the new (dysfunctional) world order.

Anyone have any experience with the ILBE or FILBE? I was looking for a bag as a car bag and came across them. For the price it seems you are getting much more bag than you would in the commercial market. Thoughts on it?

Back
Top Bottom