BOB/pack.

My BOB resides in the back of my jeep cherokee daily driver. So if I was at work and something happened where my jeep was disabled or whatever and I had to walk home I would have that. That is the only realy bug out bag I have and the only one I think I really need. Having a "go bag" in my house isn't big on my list, but if the house caught fire or something I could live out of what I leave in the jeep for a week or so.

Can we switch gears on this thread for a moment? what bags are you guys running? my current bag is an ultralight hiker and with food and supplies for 3+ days I am around 25 lbs, I want to set up more of a get out of work to a get to my base of operations bag, something that will make do if I have to be out overnight but light enough to enable me to cover serious ground in a short time, i.e. 20 miles in 20 hours. it may not sound like much but if the SHTF I would rather take a cautious safe route than doing a run and gun solo

For me my GHB is a day pack. I think it is a Jansport. I need to go less than 20 miles and it is all roads. The worst case scenario for me is I have to walk home starting at 4PM in January and it is 10 degrees out. I add extra clothes and make sure I have lithium batts in the headlight. Some water and something to munch on rounds it out. If I have to overnight I know a number of people on the route and have discussed either staying there or borrowing a bike to get the rest of the way home. I keep a sleeping bag in the car that will get attached to the bag.

I have a larger pack for when I travel and try to bring a bicycle if possible to get home quicker. This pack is a smaller internal frame and the gear is good for a couple hundred miles.

After the 1,2,3,4 how much does you pack weight?

how about what does the big 4 weigh? these are essential and you can lose LOTS of weight in these areas.
I can't seem to find the weights for my cookpot but the first 3 equal 8 pounds, stove 3.25 ounces plus 0.5 oz per fuel tab, need to dig out the windscreen and pot but if memory serves they are less than 10oz together so I am at about 9 lbs on the big 4.

Sorry if I missed the thread discussing the big 4.

Can we switch gears on this thread for a moment? what bags are you guys running? my current bag is an ultralight hiker and with food and supplies for 3+ days I am around 25 lbs, I want to set up more of a get out of work to a get to my base of operations bag, something that will make do if I have to be out overnight but light enough to enable me to cover serious ground in a short time, i.e. 20 miles in 20 hours. it may not sound like much but if the SHTF I would rather take a cautious safe route than doing a run and gun solo

25 lbs for 3 days isn't bad with food and water for 3 days, assuming you are including shelter and sleeping gear. If you want to go really light look at http://www.zpacks.com.

Shelter is 15oz silnylon tarp, Sleeping bag 2lb 12oz, pad 8oz, stove is titanium esbit with Heine pot and stored in ziploc container which doubles as a mess kit. total kitchen weight under 8oz I never weight but it is light and I thin 8oz would be pushing it. the Pack is an old gregory, I forget the name but sill nylon and sub 3lbs it could be lighter but I like the ability to organize.

3-day pack is at about 25 lbs. Wifey's is about 20 lbs. Prefer to bug in, but ready to bug out with car or on foot. Considering bicycle options, too.

|
|
|
|
V

For shelter consider hammocks: ...allows you to see out almost 360 degrees around you when in it.

I own a Hennessy Hammock and that is far from true.

I have a one have you ever tried to sleep in one late fall through early spring?

I slept in mine during the early fall (and not this weird warm one) and needed extra insulation under me to keep warm. The open space under the hammock really contributes to convection heat loss.

If you root around on Hammock Forums you can see where people add quilts to the underside of their hammock for insulation and sleep in them all through the winter.

Hammocks are really comfortable to sleep in if you are a back or side sleeper.

The drawback is when you are in a hammock you can't do much in there; cooking, drying gear, and prepping for the next day all become really problematic.

For fall / winter, I prefer a Super-Tarp or a Tipi.

Last edited:
I like the hammock for certain situations but it isn't as light weight as I would like. I am thinking about switching the tarp for a Nemo Equipment Meta 1P
bigmeta1p1.jpg

I think your pack will reflect and compliment your skill set. If you have a bit of experience and can improvise you can do with less of some items and replace them with others, but if you are kinds new to camping and such you might need some specific items to guarantee success. You guys mentioned hammocks? I have 3-tents but the hammock is what I have in my pack for solo trips year round, if I had the fam I would take a tent, either way I would also build a temp work structure @ camp to have fire with some sort of overhang.
I pretty much have 7 days of food even if I’m only going for a few days. I plan for a week and pack for a month. My weight is mostly tools to process wood and build, that’s the reason my pack set up for winter is about 45lbs.

MHO you build your pack around your skills the climate and your suspected surroundings. . I have 3-4 packs I’ve acquired over the years but only one is set up that I use.. I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants for day- to day. so no GHB or anything like that, but my pack has 3-tiers so once I get set up at camp I can leave the big pack and use one of the smaller bags to hike around. the general area.
But everyone has their own thing, but my old body sleeps better off the ground

Actually 20 miles in 20 hours is within achievable. Of course type of terrain is a major driver, but if you are determined and will have opportunity to rest for a few days after getting home – here in NE, 20 in 20 is doable. Check the map for potential water crossings. If usual bridge is out or not accessible, 20 miles could turn into 200 miles.

As for the bag - I have some no brand name leather bag bought forever ago. Inside is a pair of well broken in hiking boots; two sets of wool socks; silk base layer top & bottom; nylon packable rain pants; fleece mid layer top; down packable sweater vest; fleece beanie; fleece blanket; cheese cloth; 2 mil clear plastic sheeting; 80lb fishing braided line; duck tape; fire starter kit; multi-tool; head lamp; compass; SS canteen with internal filter; few Imodium and Tylenol pills; dry fruit bars; honey vials; homemade granola; canned herring and mackerel. I might be forgetting something, but listed everything I remember in it. And the whole thing is a bit over 10lb with most of what is inside the bag will be on me and not in the bag. There are few things not listed, but in the car and some will be taken e.g. all my cars have a well sharpen shovel + sheath.

Some of these things are deceptively simple, but they are all tested to work as intended. Many are multi-use and home modified. The blanket been reinforced with cord so I can use it for warmth, as a hammock, towel, ground cover, bag, etc. Plastic sheet can be used as rain cover, tent, rain catch, water carry, etc. Honey can be used as energy booster, nutrition, tea, cut cover, etc. I made my own SS can so I can boil water in the open fire and drink through filter, but its similar concept to this www.uscanteen.com/RedH2Only-idv-92-2.html In short, you can buy most of what I have premade and it will have fewer uses and cost major $$$$, or just use simple items slightly adjusted to successfully achieve your objectives with fraction of the weight and cost.

Actually 20 miles in 20 hours is within achievable. Of course type of terrain is a major driver, but if you are determined and will have opportunity to rest for a few days after getting home – here in NE, 20 in 20 is doable. Check the map for potential water crossings. If usual bridge is out or not accessible, 20 miles could turn into 200 miles.

As for the bag - I have some no brand name leather bag bought forever ago. Inside is a pair of well broken in hiking boots; two sets of wool socks; silk base layer top & bottom; nylon packable rain pants; fleece mid layer top; down packable sweater vest; fleece beanie; fleece blanket; cheese cloth; 2 mil clear plastic sheeting; 80lb fishing braided line; duck tape; fire starter kit; multi-tool; head lamp; compass; SS canteen with internal filter; few Imodium and Tylenol pills; dry fruit bars; honey vials; homemade granola; canned herring and mackerel. I might be forgetting something, but listed everything I remember in it. And the whole thing is a bit over 10lb with most of what is inside the bag will be on me and not in the bag. There are few things not listed, but in the car and some will be taken e.g. all my cars have a well sharpen shovel + sheath.

Some of these things are deceptively simple, but they are all tested to work as intended. Many are multi-use and home modified. The blanket been reinforced with cord so I can use it for warmth, as a hammock, towel, ground cover, bag, etc. Plastic sheet can be used as rain cover, tent, rain catch, water carry, etc. Honey can be used as energy booster, nutrition, tea, cut cover, etc. I made my own SS can so I can boil water in the open fire and drink through filter, but its similar concept to this www.uscanteen.com/RedH2Only-idv-92-2.html In short, you can buy most of what I have premade and it will have fewer uses and cost major $$$$, or just use simple items slightly adjusted to successfully achieve your objectives with fraction of the weight and cost.

i like it man very nice

I personally am more than comfortable with 45 pounds. Everyone is worried about the type of bugging out you will be doing and guessing at what type it is going to be. I say, if you can handle 45 lbs, pack 45 and you'll be prepared for multiple types of bugging out.

Guess what? You can drop the weight if you don't need it. But, you can't add the stuff that you left at home, once you've bugged out or find yourself in that situation.

Pack more than you need, and drop what you don't once you're in the situation and you know what the situation calls for. Also, get out there and do some "bugging out" to the woods for practice with carrying 45 lbs. on your back. This is just for exercise. If you are still one of those guys who refuses to take more than 25, then practice with 45. Your life will be that much easier with 25 if need be.

I own a Hennessy Hammock and that is far from true.

I slept in mine during the early fall (and not this weird warm one) and needed extra insulation under me to keep warm. The open space under the hammock really contributes to convection heat loss.

If you root around on Hammock Forums you can see where people add quilts to the underside of their hammock for insulation and sleep in them all through the winter.

Hammocks are really comfortable to sleep in if you are a back or side sleeper.

The drawback is when you are in a hammock you can't do much in there; cooking, drying gear, and prepping for the next day all become really problematic.

For fall / winter, I prefer a Super-Tarp or a Tipi.

What model Henessy do you have because I can see completely around in all the ones I've used.

Also on the insulation side they make models with a dual layer that you can add an insulation layer to for winter use. If you're only using the single layer base then it's not gonna work for winter in NE.

Cheese cloth is one of those must have items. Jesus... if I could find that shit anywhere when I'm pulling out some heirloom recipe that my grandma passed down from her third edition of the Laura Ingels Wilder Frontier Cookbook, I'd be golden with my inlaws at Thanksgiving. That's a serious put up or shut up SHTF scenario. Just like being short of fishing line, canned herring,mackerel, and honey vials.

LOL

Cheese cloth is not for cooking and braided line is not for fishing. As for honey, give me an idea of another natural food that is lb for lb more versatile and can last for years without much special care and I’ll be grateful for the information.

What model Hennessey do you have....

I don't recall the model (Exp. Asym?), but here is a picture of it.

HennessyHammock.jpg

Even with the rain-fly removed, while laying in the hammock, the fabric scoops around too much to see anywhere but immediately to the side at the foot end.

Once you have mastered getting in and out they are really a great shelter.

Which model do you have?

Also on the insulation side they make models with a dual layer that you can add an insulation layer to for winter use. If you're only using the single layer base then it's not gonna work for winter in NE.

Not mine, but check out this winter hammock set up.

I don't recall the model (Exp. Asym?), but here is a picture of it.

HennessyHammock.jpg

Even with the rain-fly removed, while laying in the hammock, the fabric scoops around too much to see anywhere but immediately to the side at the foot end.

Once you have mastered getting in and out they are really a great shelter.

Which model do you have?

Not mine, but check out this winter hammock set up.

Old base model, with smaller fly, maybe that's why on the vision.

The tent/hammock with stove is ideal. I have a stove I made based off a buddies design. I'd love to make a sil tent next year I just haven't had the time. I already have some kevlar liners for the stove sleeve. Maybe I'll try to go that dual route. I'd still like to have one of the newer Hennessey with insulation layer or a Clark, which also has a dual layer.

Personally I just can’t see how a functional pack used in the NE winters can weight under 40lbs unless it is a day pack. If we are talking 3 days and up, you will be missing a step somewhere and that's not good in the NE winters.

RE-hammock: Even with a double layer insulation pocket for your hammock you still will need extra assistance to keep warm in the extreme cold, a bulky 4 season bag+ pad.

In extreme cold I use fire ( no stove) to heat my hammock with a smaller 3-season bag, wool blanket w/ space blanket… no pad.

I’m all for keeping the weight down, but sacrifice durability? No!!! The ultra light bags are nice, but I want something bulletproof to handle the terrain and thorny brush and debris found in the NE mountains, IMHO those extreme light packs are great for trail hiking but not for the harsh stuff.

x2. i will add, i think that unless you are in imminent danger of being wiped out by say a hurricane or tsunami type event, planning to bug out is gonna get you in deeper sheeit than if you just stay where you are and organize a group with your family/neighborhood. there are just too many people. the whole fantasy of grabbing your AR and humping out into the woods and living off deer is just that, fantasy. there will be no deer, just 100 million people trying to do the same thing you are. its gonna take alot to get me to abandon my preps, food storage, and home ground.

+1 on this...for my family and I to Bug out this is our last option, like Joker said unless it is Imminent danger I am Bugging IN.

If you are gonna bug in you don’t need a BOB??

Wait….. just in case you HAVE to bug out you might want to get uncle BOB, practice and get use to using it in extreme situations and not plan on buging in…or bugging out, but be prepared for both. And that is where this thread lies, the weight of your bag if you have one.

Back
Top Bottom