1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Picked up a ten pack of Baofeng BF888s UHF radios today.

Discussion in 'Survival Forum' started by Uzi2, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Been wanting to put away some uhf portables for use around the farm here and as hand outs in an emergency situation.
    I settled on the Baofeng BF888s 16 channel radios. Ten of them with accessories for $89.00 delivered.
    image.jpeg

At that price, there is no crying if one gets lost, stolen, smashed or left out in the rain. They are a no frills 16ch radio for local coms only and compatible with everything else I already have. These will be charged, programmed, function tested and put on the shelf for when ever they are needed.

BUMPA01603, Choctaw, northny and 2 others like this.

2. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

One shot deal or are they for sale at that price anywhere?

Nice score either way.

3. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

All over ebay.

4. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

Check the manual for recommendations on charging. IIRC the UV-5R says not to leave it on the charger but also to not let it go uncharged too long.

Uzi2 likes this.
  5. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    Do you need a license to operate these things? (Or are you supposed to have a license - obviously you don't "need" a license to press the transmit button)

Uzi2 likes this.
  6. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

That all depends on what frequency/frequencies you program into them and power settings.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019 at 8:32 PM
  7. AHM

AHM NES Member

It's all fun and games until you interfere with the cops.
    Or hams.
    Or the Air Force.

8. slugworth

slugworth

These are 5W Radios and have 16 channels?

9. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Yes, 5w- 400-470 mhz. Must be programmed before use. You can get the sofware on CHIRP. The cable may or may not come with the radio/s depending on who/ where you buy from. For under $10 delivered how can you go wrong?

slugworth likes this.
  10. mibro

mibro NES Member

$89.00. That's insane.

slugworth likes this.
  11. slugworth

slugworth

Wow thanks for the info! I’m gonna pick up a few of these to have.

12. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

Any reports/reviews on how good they are?

13. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Eham.net and youtube both have reviews. Look up BF888s.

14. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

You can get them even cheaper if you buy 20 or 50 or 100. Lots of different pricing on fleabay, shop around.

15. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

image.jpeg Bought these Retevis speaker mics for the Baofeng portables.

They came in this morning and I tested each one on a portable......they actually have very good transmit and receive audio for a $3.00 speaker mic.

The clip rotates 360 and has a good spring so its not falling off your lapel or other place its clipped. Well worth the money.

Choctaw likes this.
  16. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

The BF-888s radios arrived.

They have test frequencies in them from the factory and all are cloned the same so I was able to test them. The audio both receive and transmit is very good. Plenty of receive audio volume, transmit audio is crisp and clear. The radios are lightweight and the belt clip is strong.

There's a few functions that can be activated or deactivated by using a combination of channel selection, side buttons and PTT switch : VOX on or off, SCAN on or off, Monitor, Voice Prompt on or off, Voice Prompt language, Chinese or English.

Still have to connect them to a computer and program them. So far these look like they are a good purchase.

Fritz the Cat likes this.
  17. n1bsbri

n1bsbri NES Member

You have to wonder how many of those radios are out there in the wild, still operating on the factory default frequencies, without regard to licensing or the likelihood of interfering with another radio service.

Uzi2 likes this.
  18. Coyote33

Coyote33

Hey, if "NES" got a 100 pack, or a 200 pack, what would the price be each?

19. flippinfleck

flippinfleck

Would like to hear how they work out for you in real world applications. Almost pulled the trigger on a bundle of these and held back due to UHF only and, well, Baofeng.

Have someone sit outside South Station and see how far you can walk down Summer St towards the common and still maintain communication. Would be interesting to see how they deal with all of the interference in such a situation.

Bring a pair to a somewhat large state forest or similar foliage-dense environment. Couple miles through a pine forest? Little interference out there, though UHF is purported to not do as well with foliage.

Be sure to set CTCSS tones so you don't have to listen to everyone else that may be on those frequencies.

Probably a majority of them; just look for the ones using the factory antenna.

I've been seeing an uptick in folks out in the woods and on the trails with Baofeng/Retevis/CCR clipped to their packs. Anecdotal, I know. It is certainly bound to happen when WOOT is having specials on Baofeng radios and Osprey packs.

20. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

As soon as I get these programmed up I'll be doing a range test. As for interference test I'd have to bring a few into town with me when I go shopping and see how they do compared to other portables. I suspect they'll be ok.

I live in the boonies in Kentucky on 110 mostly wooded acres with the surrounding area all large farms for the most part and it is a very RF quiet area. HF is a dream to listen to out here, no plasma tv noise, no electrical noise from power lines or machinery etc. South Station area is six years in my past.....and even then very infrequent.[smile]

Yes, I'm well aware of the "pine forest"/ foliage issues, where every pine needle is approaching a 1/4 wave. Its really bad on 800 and 900Mhz radio systems.....virtually a wall against RF at those frequencies even with a yagi. I have other UHF portables and they work very well around here.

21. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

I don't know, look them up on fleabay and see. Find a seller and send them a message asking for a price quote. I suspect you might get them for $6-7 each delivered. Mine were $9.00+- for ten.

22. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Probably quite a few.

23. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Yes. I've been into radio for about 50 years and in the business for many years of it. Interference with any other service is prohibited.

AHM likes this.