Bill aims to prohibit Web-based hunting

such as a ranch stocked with game animals.

The feeding area is rigged with a loaded rifle that can be controlled through the website. When an animal wanders into the site of the gun, the hunter can fire the weapon with the click of a mouse.

Now, state Senator Robert Creedon, a Brockton Democrat, has filed a bill that would ban anyone in Massachusetts from taking part in Internet hunting.

The bill also would make it illegal for anyone to set up an Internet hunting business in the state.

"The idea someone can sit in an office miles away and line up an animal and execute it is a bit bizarre," he said.

As much as I think the idea is stupid, it's a private company, and they are game animals...

Why does it bother Mr. Creedon that a deer get shot via a web cam and killed instantly, but he has no problem eating a beef tenderloin where the cattle was bled to death slowly????

I am sure he is just concerned for everyones safety...Would not want the wrong deer shot in a bad case of mistaken identity. It's not like you are seeing the deer first hand. [grin]

Besides, you know the rules. If they find out you can have fun doing it in Massachusetts they will either find a way to tax it or ban it...I am sooooo surpised (and thankful) that they have not banned Paintball fields in Massachsetts yet. just don't smile when you shoot someone and we will be ok...

I don't know guys. This type of thing bugs the hell out of me to tell you the truth. For one thing you can be damn sure that any anti-hunters will use this to their advantage. Besides is it really hunting? I think not. It turns hunting into just killing. Besides the fun part of hunting is the hunt itself, with the harvesting of the animal as reward. I’m afraid to say that I agree with Mr. Creedon.

As much as I think the idea is stupid, it's a private company, and they are game animals...

Why does it bother Mr. Creedon that a deer get shot via a web cam and killed instantly, but he has no problem eating a beef tenderloin where the cattle was bled to death slowly????

I agree with Derek. They're a private company, apparently have the necessary permits, etc to do this, so it should be allowed whether I like it or not..

I don't know guys. This type of thing bugs the hell out of me to tell you the truth. For one thing you can be damn sure that any anti-hunters will use this to their advantage.

Not doing something because the antis can "use it to their advantage" is a very, very bad reason not to do something. Under this logic. because anti-gunners use pictures of evil black rifles "to their advantage", they should not be allowed.

Besides is it really hunting? I think not. It turns hunting into just killing. Besides the fun part of hunting is the hunt itself, with the harvesting of the animal as reward. I’m afraid to say that I agree with Mr. Creedon.

So, it's counter to your philosophy on hunting so it should be banned?

Look Ignium, personally, I agree with your philosophy on hunting. I also find the idea of remote-control shooting of anything living to be ghoulish at best.
However, the "I-don't-like-it-so-it-should-be-banned" argument is lame, and it's very similar to what the anti-gunners try to do to us.

Well put EC. I think the whole idea of web hunting is lame at best as well. It's basically a game farm and the animals are raised to be eaten, much like any cattle ranch or chicken farm. What is the difference if the animal is shot via a web cam or it's throat is slashed?

The idea of web based hunting it just plain stupid, but, consider what is being stated if this law passes. I don't have any problem with the part about banning the setup of business for on line hunting in MA, but the concept of a state banning use of communications technology initiated in MA to engage in an activity that is legal in another state is just plain dangerous.

The idea of web based hunting it just plain stupid, but, consider what is being stated if this law passes. I don't have any problem with the part about banning the setup of business for on line hunting in MA, but the concept of a state banning use of communications technology initiated in MA to engage in an activity that is legal in another state is just plain dangerous.
I agree that it's stupid and the market will dictate whether the business is viable.
Why would you support a ban/law on setting up such a business?
Who does this business hurt? It would be just another infringement on freedom, a feel good law.

i live in Brockton, Creedon is an asshat to the bone. yet, like Kennedy and the rest of them, as much as everyone complains about him, they never seem to vote him out.

He's a freaking moron...

I wonder what kind of a person would Support/Participate in a clicking of a button on a mouse to take an Animal. Makes me cringe to think that is where we are heading. Is that even a Sport? Is it even a Hunt? at best it is a Video Game with a Live animal as the target. Yup! I can see the tree huggers now...
Vermont State Constitution gives Vermonters a Right to HUNT, if I can be in another state and kill an animal in Vermont via the Interent. I am sorry, I have no warm feeling in My heart for this at all. This takes the last thread where the discussion got heated over ETHICS and makes that look tame. Allow it because you are afraid of more regulations??? I don't buy that either. You can be a Hunter, you can be a Sportsman and you can get your bag limit each year by being good at what you do. To take an animal while sitting with your feet up on a desk in the comforts of a home in downtown anywhere U.S.A. doesn't even rate at the bottom of my list. Animals may be GAME ANIMALS but at the very least they too deserve some RESPECT.
Some people may remember when they used LIVE Pigeons (in place of clays) for shooting practice. That earned a lot of BAD PR Points for the decent minded hunters.

Last edited:
Doesn't something like this violate basic rules of handling firearms? The gun is NOT under your direct control, it's hooked to electronics than can malfunction/fail etc. If something goes wrong and it somehow hits a person, are you responsible or is the business running it responsible? I'd feel uncomfortable operating a gun not under my direct control, ie in my hands. I'd also call this a complete lack of sportsmanship in terms of hunting...

-Tom

Back
Top Bottom