Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
The Times
London, UK
July 29, 2006

Jail for four who plotted to supply gangs with guns

By Russell Jenkins

FOUR men who plotted to supply Manchester’s underworld with guns and ammunition smuggled from Eastern Europe were jailed for up to 18 years yesterday.

The consignment of 30 self-loading pistols, silencers and up to 1,220 rounds of live ammunition were hidden in a secret compartment of a Volvo car. It was one of the largest hauls of illicit imported weapons seized in the UK.

Judge Bernard Lever, at Manchester Crown Court, said that the weapons would have been sold to gangsters who would have used them to fight drug wars, commit murder and cause mayhem in our cities.

Marius Renke, 27, a Lithuanian, was the senior conspirator who put the weapons in the car. The Volvo had been rebuilt, with its floor pan raised and a secret compartment welded underneath the two front seats. He was jailed for 18 years.

Richard Saltmarsh, 27, a drug dealer from Coventry who was described as the plot’s mastermind in this country, has already been sentenced to 20 years for conspiracy to import the weapons.

James Parker, 24, also of Coventry, said to have been the key contact with the Lithuanians, and Dawson Wray, 31, of Eccles, near Manchester, said by the prosecution to have been responsible for its onward distribution, each admitted conspiracy to import firearms. Parker was jailed for 13½years and Wray for 11½ years.

Anton Vaisnoras, 26, a colleague of Renke and a fellow Lithuanian, who acted as translator, was jailed for 14 years.

The court was told that Renke duped a Lithuanian national into driving the car from Klaipeda, in Lithuania, through Poland to Cuxhaven in Germany, from where it arrived in Britain on a ferry to Harwich. It was driven to Coventry and onwards to Manchester.

The consignment was tracked by Greater Manchester Police and the National Crime Squad after a tip-off, and Renke, Wray and Parker were arrested by armed officers as they tried to remove the guns at a garage in Stretford, south Manchester. All the weapons were loaded and some were cocked ready for use.

Nicholas Clarke, QC, for the prosecution, told the court that the gang used the code word “spaghetti” for guns in its text message traffic.

One message from Vaisnoras, retrieved from Parker’s phone, offered the guns for £1,000 each. It read: “Hellou (sic) my friend, How are you? Walter 9mm all complek, brand new in oil 1000£. That are good price for spageti. Give me a coll, please.”

Mr Clarke said: “This method of concealment and importation of firearms has not been seen before in the United Kingdom. The recovery of 30 real firearms and 1,220 rounds of factory-made ammunition make this case one of the largest single seizures of firearms imported into the UK.

“This job needed finance and the criminal contacts that would provide a ready outlet for such a large number of guns. Such importations would not be made unless there were potential customers ready to buy the firearms.”

Mr Clarke said that between April 1, 2003, and April 5 this year 128 people had been killed or injured by the discharge of firearms in the Greater Manchester area alone. “If these guns had been supplied into the criminal underworld the only possible outcome would be that someone would either be targeted and shot directly or, as so often happened, an innocent member of the public would be caught in the crossfire,” he said.

Judge Lever said told the defendants that he was satisfied that the guns had no legitimate or lawful use. “They were for gangsters and the underworld to use in assassinations or drug wars or extortion or illegal enforcement,” he said.

“Those, like you, who import on a significant scale their guns and ammunition, whether from Eastern Europe or elsewhere, do so at their peril.”

kingson said:
30 guns and 1200 rounds of ammo, sounds like a normal trip to the range.
I was thinking the same thing. And you know what's funny- since I am going to be related to honest to goodness Brits come June of '07, there will be an influx of these proper Englishfolk to MA for the wedding. Do you know where they want to go first?

Wait for it.

The range, natch.
But no, the Brits don't want guns. [rolleyes]
Go figure.

Of course I'm more than willing to take each and every one of them to the range as many times as they want. Every little bit helps.

Martlet said:
It wasn't just ammo, it was LIVE ammo!

Oh no, live ammo!!!
andy.gif
andy.gif
andy.gif
andy.gif

Martlet said:
It wasn't just ammo, it was LIVE ammo!

Oh yeah, that stuff is nasty! It crawls into unloaded pistols and discharges itself at little kids. everyone knows that! (at least everyone at the Boston Globe and London Times).[thinking]

1,220 rounds of factory-made ammunition

Oh no, think of the children.

As an "honest to goodness Brit" myself there is no way I will ever move back there. I am staying here and as of yesterday I am now officially eligible to apply for citizenship.

MarkM said:

As an "honest to goodness Brit" myself there is no way I will ever move back there. I am staying here and as of yesterday I am now officially eligible to apply for citizenship.
That's great!!

When you do get your citizenship I think a celebratory NES shoot the next day would be in order...

(OK, I think an NES shoot is ALWAYS in order, but you get the idea! [smile] )

MarkM said:

Well, you'll have to learn to speak, read and write English first. None of that "flats", "lorries", "lifts", "braces" and other foreign terms. [wink]

Ken

dwarven1 said:
That's great!!

When you do get your citizenship I think a celebratory NES shoot the next day would be in order...

(OK, I think an NES shoot is ALWAYS in order, but you get the idea! [smile] )

Sounds good to me [smile]

KMaurer said:
Well, you'll have to learn to speak, read and write English first. None of that "flats", "lorries", "lifts", "braces" and other foreign terms. [wink]

Ken

Yep, it was confusing learning to speak American:

You drive on your parkway and park on your driveway! That freaked me out at first.

Congratulations on your soon to be citizenship!

Back
Top Bottom