Biden bans Russian Arms and Ammo

With this potato in the WH, an import ban seemed inevitable. while it blows, there is an enormous market for this ammo so I suspect the American manufacturers will get rolling on steel cased 7.62x39. In 2018 or so Hornady was producing steel cased SST for around 0.60 per round. Granted ammo prices were lower I think they can easily make cheap steel ammo for under 0.50 a round on US soil.
Why would they though.

The price of Wolf and Tula were undoubtedly putting tons of pressure on domestic ammo manufacturers to bring their prices down and stop gauging. This is really bad news for ammo prices to stabilize. On an unrelated note, I have a case of extremely rare vintage 9mm Wolf steel case I’d be willing to let go for $700.
if US manufactures felt threatened at all by cheap steel cased ammo they would run thier own line.
Just keep in mind there are several manufactures making ammo on US government owned facilities.

didn't they ban Russian firearms/AK's at one point and someone opened a factory in Florida? Or was that a dream?

There are no ammo manufacturers in the US that make 7.62x39? If not, I sense a business opportunity.
Unless .gov to give incentives to manufactures not to.

Remember the biggest ammo manufacturer is a public company (VSTO). Thanks to COVID and the gov they have been killing it and when the Remington ammo plant is running 100% they will do great, they bought it for pennies.

Whenever the market relaxes and things get closer to normal (think a few cents cheaper than right now), VSTO will be under pressure to keep delivering on those quarterly numbers, that means higher prices (primers already increased).

VSTO is not just ammo, but ammo is a huge part of their business revenue.

Edit: I could be wrong. It could be that VSTO didn't do a drastically price increase and the increase is at the distributor level, so a decline in ammo prices might not affect their quarterly revenue.

if US manufactures felt threatened at all by cheap steel cased ammo they would run thier own line.
Just keep in mind there are several manufactures making ammo on US government owned facilities.
It’s not that they felt threatened by it...but US manufacturers can’t even compete on that level. Looks like if they were ever going to try it though, now is the time.

because 7.62x39 has a fairly large consumer base for which there $$ to be made, so there will be competition between domestic manufacturing, remanufacturing, Taiwanese and European imported ammo.
The largest consumers of x39 are looking for the cheapest shit they can find.
Hornady stepped into steel cased market with expensive steel cased ammo? Why?

Unless we see a manufacture state side start making steel cases i dont see much of "affodable" x39 coming out of domestic manufactures.

I bought a bunch of this around 2018 or so. Hornady can and will be making very high quality steel cased ammo now. After a year or so of production I’m willing to bet we see SST loadings around 50 cpr. it’s what I keep loaded in my home AK. This stuff is unobtainium now, but just wait a bit.

the alternative is that domestic manufacturers choose to completely ignore the market or collectively gouge on the most frugal consumer base, neither of which seems likely to me.

perhaps Keith @619DWGuns, who has much more insight into the 7.62x39 market, can share thoughts as to what this import ban means in short term. As it whether existing permits are good for period of time of quickly expire?

Last edited:
Whenever the market relaxes and things get closer to normal (think a few cents cheaper than right now), VSTO will be under pressure to keep delivering on those quarterly numbers, that means higher prices (primers already increased).
5kcskj.jpg

Do you really think the US did not leave or supply Afghan security/military/Taliban with a shit ton of 5.56?
That.................and other stuff................ :eek: :eek: Billions in US weaponry seized by Taliban

208 aircraft (46 are now in Uzbekistan)
35 Black Hawk helicopters
3 specialized aircraft (A29 attack trainers)
4,702 Humvees
7,035 machine guns
20,040 hand grenades
2,520 large bombs
1,394 grenade launchers
162,643 pieces of communications equipment
16,191 pieces of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance equipment

The least they could do is buy them some clean shirts so they don’t have to wear those old smelly bath towels.

1.jpg

This guy is a short sighted, self contradicting dork.

Just because HE can't use it at his ranges doesn't mean that tens of millions of other people can't use on their ranges.

Just because he doesn't use it in other calibers, doesn't mean tens of millions of others don't........it's 40% of the U.S. ammunition market.

If you are waiting for U.S. manufacturers to fill a 40% VOID in the ammo market, you'll be waiting a long time. They couldn't keep up with previous demand.......now forty percent more ammo is going bye bye???

This guy is a short sighted, self contradicting dork.

Just because HE can't use it at his ranges doesn't mean that tens of millions of other people can't use on their ranges.

Just because he doesn't use it in other calibers, doesn't mean tens of millions of others don't........it's 40% of the U.S. ammunition market.

If you are waiting for U.S. manufacturers to fill a 40% VOID in the ammo market, you'll be waiting a long time. They couldn't keep up with previous demand.......now forty percent more ammo is going bye bye???
I doubt it's anywhere near "40%" That's laughable assertion on a good day. I agree it definitely doesn't help the overall supply situation though if it's effectively going away quickly.

I doubt it's anywhere near "40%" That's laughable assertion on a good day. I agree it definitely doesn't help the overall supply situation though if it's effectively going away quickly.

I don't think it's a laughable assertion at all, matter of fact I'd say 40% is on the low side or just about right.

I'd estimate that for every shooter that fires only premium U.S. or other brass ammo in their guns, there is at least ten or more shooters blasting inexpensive steel cased ammo regularly.

We went through the arduous years of "steel cased ammo will ruin your gun" BS when Wolf ammo began importing steel cased ammo and now everyone knows and accepts ( minus the hardheads ) that it is perfectly fine to shoot and doesn't ruin your gun.
We went from "Wolf ammo will never sell in this country" to people en masse bitching that there isn't enough being imported.
We went from having Russian imported ammo to ZERO in the blink of an eye and the fallout hasn't even begun over that shitshow.

When current stocks are depleted, then the fun will begin......unless another source that can meet the demand is found.....and then there is nothing stopping some BS political situation from those sources being sanctioned too.

Think about how much ammo Russia produces "for export". ..now realize that 80% of that export production is sold and imported into the U.S. alone.

No country in the world supplies more U.S. import ammo than Russia......not even close.

I'm limited on my ipad here.....Run a simple Yes or No poll whether people shoot steel cased ammo in any caliber.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find many that do not.

EDIT: From an article I read......"
“We reached out to one of the largest importers of Russian ammo, Charles Brown of MKS Supply...
roughly 40 percent of the ammunition sold in the U.S. originates from Russian sources.”
Snip****

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom