• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Biden bans Russian Arms and Ammo

Considering how much I just paid for Hornady Black 5.45x39 I was under the impression they would be clean and accurate.

I havent shot it yet so I don't know what it's like. Probably wont get to that rifle in a while since I'm really not feeling the $1 a shot for the Black and I'm not going to shoot my old Soviet stuff at my steel plates.
It might be ok, but I read a fair amount of positive reviews and was VERY disappointed when I shot their 6 arc Black.

Really? I’ve seen many sing the praises of Hornady black ammo but how bad was the 6ARC?
My buddy who shoots 6mm creedmoor had crappy accuracy with the Hornady black. But I know bullet weights/twist rates are important etc. Not sure of those details.

Steel cased is also available online but for the same cost of brass which doesn’t make much sense to buy.
If you are shooting for accuracy it does make sense. Russian steel cased (even Tulammo) is more accurate than the brass Hungarian, Macedonian,Turkish, Serbian stuff of similar cost. That said I had bought bellom x39 on a couple of occasions. The first time I got similar accuracy to steel cased. The second time I bought some, I was getting 3moa on a sandbag at 50 yards.

If you are shooting for accuracy it does make sense. Russian steel cased (even Tulammo) is more accurate than the brass Hungarian, Macedonian,Turkish, Serbian stuff of similar cost. That said I had bought bellom x39 on a couple of occasions. The first time I got similar accuracy to steel cased. The second time I bought some, I was getting 3moa on a sandbag at 50 yards.
A point taken if looking for moa at 50-100. Reloadable brass is valuable in itself if one looks for a dick punch.

My buddy who shoots 6mm creedmoor had crappy accuracy with the Hornady black. But I know bullet weights/twist rates are important etc. Not sure of those details.
More or less everything I shoot in 6 ARC are 105's, so it's not twist rate. I was very disappointed w/ the Hornady Black shotgun patterns but thought, oh well- at least I'll have some brass. Then FFS I had a few flattened primers and no surprise some slightly loose primer pockets. I forget the fps from the chrono but Hornady loads that sh!t hot, which I found hypocritical because their reload data for gas guns is neutered a bit. Maybe I just had a sub-par lot but then that's a reflection on Hornady QC.

The ZVS stuff from Macedonia has been decent. LOL 10thSFFD argued that it's from Slovakia but it was made in Macedonia. To his credit, ZVS is a Slovak company. Honestly, at the same price I'd probably buy the ZVS over Hornady Black given the issues I had. I think Hornady Black must be their idea of Winchester White Box?

zvs-762x39-124gr-jpeg.521482

A point taken if looking for moa at 50-100. Reloadable brass is valuable in itself if one looks for a dick punch.
And you can sell the brass and lower the ammo cost. Though I’ve had better luck selling brass on the discord reloading server and on the CMP forums as opposed to NES

Whats the Yugo brass cased surplus going for these days? Some x39 fans where dry humping the crates years back.
I have some kicking around

Years ago you had to buy lapua to get decent boxer brass they even had a x39 match line. I tried like hell to get one of those Mini Mausers to shoot well with x39
Never got much better than 1.5 moa. Buried deep in a locker I know I have a few boxes left. I wanted to test some out of my yugo sks that shoots surprising well with basic offerings.
Someday

More or less everything I shoot in 6 ARC are 105's, so it's not twist rate. I was very disappointed w/ the Hornady Black shotgun patterns but thought, oh well- at least I'll have some brass. Then FFS I had a few flattened primers and no surprise some slightly loose primer pockets. I forget the fps from the chrono but Hornady loads that sh!t hot, which I found hypocritical because their reload data for gas guns is neutered a bit. Maybe I just had a sub-par lot but then that's a reflection on Hornady QC.

The ZVS stuff from Macedonia has been decent. LOL 10thSFFD argued that it's from Slovakia but it was made in Macedonia. To his credit, ZVS is a Slovak company. Honestly, at the same price I'd probably buy the ZVS over Hornady Black given the issues I had. I think Hornady Black must be their idea of Winchester White Box?

This guy didn’t like it at all. Could be firearm specific I guess?

View: https://youtu.be/Pd7O6Ze-XNk?si=LkAuoYIb9zSsAzCc

This guy didn’t like it at all. Could be firearm specific I guess?

View: https://youtu.be/Pd7O6Ze-XNk?si=LkAuoYIb9zSsAzCc

I didn't consider the ZVS to be anything more than plate blasting ammo for AK's. Same for the Hornady Black, LOL.

I'll have to see how it does but it will be out of an AK with iron sights. Somehow it didn't seem like that Youtube guy was being as careful with the ZVS stuff, though I'm sure it's not tack driving quality.

I didn't consider the ZVS to be anything more than plate blasting ammo for AK's. Same for the Hornady Black, LOL.

I'll have to see how it does but it will be out of an AK with iron sights. Somehow it didn't seem like that Youtube guy was being as careful with the ZVS stuff, though I'm sure it's not tack driving quality.
Russians use cery big tacks….
AK tack driver , lol

I bought a bunch of brass Geco 7.62 X 39 a few years ago and I'm just getting around to sending it now. My bolt gun doesn't like it. Probably good for steel plates but not so much for bullseye. The brass Bellom that I have is quite good for what it is. I've been tempted to try the Hornady Black. I miss the days of cheap spam cans.

Source for the zvs stuff?

The connoisseurs prefer

View attachment 859809
1120 rds of corrosive M67 if not an IK (Igman Yugoslavia) but an NNK Igman from the late 70’s. I would all M67 from Igman in this days to have corrosive primers but it’s possibly the later stuff (mine is from 1991) could be clean. I’ll still clean after shooting anyways.

Back
Top Bottom