Biden bans Russian Arms and Ammo

Meh, the russian import bans on ammo IMO are more a political grandstanding thing than anything resembling an anti-gun thing. If it was meant to be anti gun they would never lift
the bans periodically. The reality is other products are likely simultaneously blocked but we only pay attention to ammo because we dont care about anything else they sell... [rofl]

But yes, its been a windshield wipering bullshit problem over the past couple decades. Basically the consumer gets trapped between RUSSIA BAD! rhetoric
etc. Both shit "parties" engage in this BS and the consumer suffers as a result.

I get that, but it's all the same shit to me.

I also understand my statement is void of any logic, and I am cool with that :)

nothing to add...but it's amazing mr. fishfinder's thread on nes censorship had reeled in almost twice as many comments and has been been up only a few days than this topic, which frankly, i would have thought we'd be more steamed up with than we are over it. i haven't kept up on this subject but was this russian ammo ban etched in stone yet. a friend wants to know...

I get that, but it's all the same shit to me.

I also understand my statement is void of any logic, and I am cool with that :)

It is sort of useful to know, though.

And in some cases its pretty obvious protectionism. For example a long ass time ago we used to import guns from china. Now basically nothing comes from china, for years there was stuff like rem 870 clones etc (IAC HAWK etc) but nothing fancy. Most of that shit was caused by US gun manufacturers pushing various presidents (Bush Sr, Clinton, etc) to make line item import bans which following presidents never removed, etc.

So in many cases its our own gun industry f***ing us up the ass WRT imported guns or ammo.

It is sort of useful to know, though.

And in some cases its pretty obvious protectionism. For example a long ass time ago we used to import guns from china. Now basically nothing comes from china, for years there was stuff like rem 870 clones etc (IAC HAWK etc) but nothing fancy. Most of that shit was caused by US gun manufacturers pushing various presidents (Bush Sr, Clinton, etc) to make line item import bans which following presidents never removed, etc.

So in many cases its our own gun industry f***ing us up the ass WRT imported guns or ammo.

Oh yeah, kinda like most people with machine guns do not want to see Hughes repealed (FOPA was good for gun owners derp derp)or gun store owners supporting Dems because panic is good for business.

Ever see the "free state prices" in MA on lowers nowadays? :)

nothing to add...but it's amazing mr. fishfinder's thread on nes censorship had reeled in almost twice as many comments and has been been up only a few days than this topic, which frankly, i would have thought we'd be more steamed up with than we are over it. i haven't kept up on this subject but was this russian ammo ban etched in stone yet. a friend wants to know...

I haven't been keeping up, but I think it is a ban on ALL Russian things coming in.. Right when I was about to buy a PERST lol

I haven't been keeping up, but I think it is a ban on ALL Russian things coming in.. Right when I was about to buy a PERST lol
No new contracts for ammo sales. The contracts, which need to be approved by .gov, are usually good for about 2 years, and no new ones will be approved, so there is still some ammo coming in from old contracts.

... it's amazing mr. fishfinder's thread on nes censorship had reeled in almost twice as many comments and has been been up only a few days than this topic, which frankly, i would have thought we'd be more steamed up with than we are over it. ...
Well, I for one am more interested in NES censorship
than in Russian arms and ammo. [shocked]

Oh yeah, kinda like most people with machine guns do not want to see Hughes repealed (FOPA was good for gun owners derp derp)

I have heard that but AFAIK those people dont have a lobbying group pushing for that shit, etc.

The industry shit WRT imports is definitely real, though. its what drove a lot of that shit with the AKs getting banned in the 80s and 90s.

or gun store owners supporting Dems because panic is good for business.

I dunno of any shop owner thats actually like this, I mean yeah, that boost in sales is great but the disruption on the other end of the
stick is a problem. Also long drawn out moonbat induced crises end up fatiguing a customer base. You want people coming back and buying shit. the problem is moonbat crisies cause the prices of shit to go up, particularly on consumables like ammo. And the cost of ammo as an input variable into buying habits is HUGE.

Ever see the "free state prices" in MA on lowers nowadays? :)

Meh, a guy making a hundred or two hundred bucks on a lower doesn't really bother me. People gotta eat, unless people going to pay the dealers electric bill, rent, and other shit (BTW even for a small op this is thousands of dollars a year just to keep the lights on). Especially in MA where residential FFLs basically dont exist anymore.

Besides its a fake problem- hardcore skinflints can still score deals and know how to inbound their own shit for the price of the transfer or
whateve.r It's not that hard to make a couple phone calls and click a mouse a few times and get a poverty pony in MA in a week or two for under $100 if one is being
really frugal. In most cases though people gon be like "f*** that shit" and theyll just go out and drop double that so they can get it yesterday. don't blame the shop and dont blame
the buyer, either. It's not really a lot of money. I mean lets not act like its someone getting raked over a clapped out "pre healey" $600 - M&P 15 Sport for $2500 just because it has a fake FA-10 with it with a fake date on it. [rofl]

FWIW I know gun shops in free states that sell things like poverty pony lowrs for $100+ too, they still sell. Like hotcakes actually. "Convenience" has a
price. The buyers do not care, everyone wins. It's no different than like when I go to cumberland farms and pay like $5 for a box of cookies that I could have gotten at the store for $2.50. I am buying the cookies there because I want them NOW and with less inconvenience.

I have heard that but AFAIK those people dont have a lobbying group pushing for that shit, etc.

The industry shit WRT imports is definitely real, though. its what drove a lot of that shit with the AKs getting banned in the 80s and 90s.

I dunno of any shop owner thats actually like this, I mean yeah, that boost in sales is great but the disruption on the other end of the
stick is a problem. Also long drawn out moonbat induced crises end up fatiguing a customer base. You want people coming back and buying shit. the problem is moonbat crisies cause the prices of shit to go up, particularly on consumables like ammo. And the cost of ammo as an input variable into buying habits is HUGE.

Meh, a guy making a hundred or two hundred bucks on a lower doesn't really bother me. People gotta eat, unless people going to pay the dealers electric bill, rent, and other shit (BTW even for a small op this is thousands of dollars a year just to keep the lights on). Especially in MA where residential FFLs basically dont exist anymore.

Besides its a fake problem- hardcore skinflints can still score deals and know how to inbound their own shit for the price of the transfer or
whateve.r It's not that hard to make a couple phone calls and click a mouse a few times and get a poverty pony in MA in a week or two for under $100 if one is being
really frugal. In most cases though people gon be like "f*** that shit" and theyll just go out and drop double that so they can get it yesterday. don't blame the shop and dont blame
the buyer, either. It's not really a lot of money. I mean lets not act like its someone getting raked over a clapped out "pre healey" $600 - M&P 15 Sport for $2500 just because it has a fake FA-10 with it with a fake date on it. [rofl]

FWIW I know gun shops in free states that sell things like poverty pony lowrs for $100+ too, they still sell. Like hotcakes actually. "Convenience" has a
price. The buyers do not care, everyone wins. It's no different than like when I go to cumberland farms and pay like $5 for a box of cookies that I could have gotten at the store for $2.50. I am buying the cookies there because I want them NOW and with less inconvenience.

Naw Mike, WRT to lowers I am talking about something totally different that would most likely hurt a bunch of feelings here.. I getcha though.. And no shop owner is going to come out and say they support Dems for a single reason, would kinda be bad for business :) You remember how much shops were hurting during Trump, right?

Shops can do what they want to put food on the table of course, and people can pay a "gotta have it" price...but they shouldn't be above being criticized just like any other business when it comes to they way the DO business. The difference with the places that sell those $100 lowers is that they(most?) will also transfer in lowers that they don't sell.

In before "Get your own FFL and do it the way you want!!!"

I bought a bunch of this around 2018 or so. Hornady can and will be making very high quality steel cased ammo now. After a year or so of production I’m willing to bet we see SST loadings around 50 cpr. it’s what I keep loaded in my home AK. This stuff is unobtainium now, but just wait a bit.

the alternative is that domestic manufacturers choose to completely ignore the market or collectively gouge on the most frugal consumer base, neither of which seems likely to me.

perhaps Keith @619DWGuns, who has much more insight into the 7.62x39 market, can share thoughts as to what this import ban means in short term. As it whether existing permits are good for period of time of quickly expire?
The brass is available on TS for $1.30 a round 😒

Steel cased Maxxtech is available for around .55 cpr made at the Cornhusker ammo plant in Nebraska (Hornady). Too pricey when brass is similarly priced.

If Hornady Black 7.62x39 is anything like their 'Black' in 6ARC caliber, it should be perfect for an AK- dirty and inaccurate. [rofl]
Really? I’ve seen many sing the praises of Hornady black ammo but how bad was the 6ARC?

Last edited:
If Hornady Black 7.62x39 is anything like their 'Black' in 6ARC caliber, it should be perfect for an AK- dirty and inaccurate. [rofl]
Considering how much I just paid for Hornady Black 5.45x39 I was under the impression they would be clean and accurate.

I havent shot it yet so I don't know what it's like. Probably wont get to that rifle in a while since I'm really not feeling the $1 a shot for the Black and I'm not going to shoot my old Soviet stuff at my steel plates.

5.45 x 39 and 7.62 x 39 are a graphic lesson in why an ammunition stockpile is important. The guys with 4K+ rounds sitting around aren't sweating and the 10k+ guys /really/ aren't sweating. .

Every time I jones for another gun 9 out of 10 times I buy 1000 rds of something instead. It pays off.

5.45 x 39 and 7.62 x 39 are a graphic lesson in why an ammunition stockpile is important. The guys with 4K+ rounds sitting around aren't sweating and the 10k+ guys /really/ aren't sweating. .

Every time I jones for another gun 9 out of 10 times I buy 1000 rds of something instead. It pays off.
Thats a interesting way to look at it. Im often tempted by a $1200 gun but the thought of dropping $1200 on a single ammo order never crosses my mind, even though the latter would be a more productive use of the money

Thats a interesting way to look at it. Im often tempted by a $1200 gun but the thought of dropping $1200 on a single ammo order never crosses my mind, even though the latter would be a more productive use of the money
This has been my practice and the reason I have a smaller variety of calibers. No issues with x39 for me.

I’m jonesing for another pistol, but I rally need another 1-2000 rounds of 762x39. The scales of Justice are tipping in the ammo direction , as I can always buy another pistol.

I’m jonesing for another pistol, but I rally need another 1-2000 rounds of 762x39. The scales of Justice are tipping in the ammo direction , as I can always buy another pistol.
Back on 11/29/23 Keith sent an email that he had about 50 1k cases left of GT x39 for $450 each. I’m certain those are long gone now.

You can still get brass cased Republic for around $500 a case as the cheapest brass x39 available but it does sell out rather fast from TS.

Steel cased is also available online but for the same cost of brass which doesn’t make much sense to buy.

Quality has gone to shit for some of the ammo coming out from new factory production. Do not buy the ZVS brass as that stuff has bad groupings.

Eta: the GT 5.45 was also down to 50ish cases left on 11/29/23. Gone 😞

Back
Top Bottom