• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best position ankle carry

So I carry my BUG (Sig P238) on my ankle when I'm wearing my P229 on my hip. I carry it on the inside of my left ankle as I feel it is best protected from someone who would see it or kick it accidentally and it is a good position for draw while seated (in a vehicle). I have heard of people carrying on the inside of their right ankle (righties) to be able to crossdraw with their off hand if their other was disarmed/injured. I have also heard of people carrying on the outside of their right ankle for "ease of access". What are your opinions? How woukd you do it and explain the advantages/disadvantages you see to each position?

Definitely inside left ankle. It just doesn't feel comfortable or concealable anywhere else. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't overthink it. Figure out what scenario you're trying to address with your BUG and balance that against the position that gives you the most confidence in your draw, plus comfort for the 99.999% of the time when you WON'T be using the gun to fight off some mall ninja.

Figure all that out, then decide accordingly. Common sense, really.

Personally, inside left calf for rightie draw is a no-brainer. But YMMV.

You're more likely going to draw in your car than in an offhand situation. Left inside for a right.

The best position for an ankle holster is on your belt. A long time ago I was chasing some miscreants that had ripped off a couple of pinball machines in a business that I ran. My Safariland ankle holster allowed my S&W Model 60 to break loose and precede me down the street. Either of the scumbags could have picked the S&W up and did me in, but fortunately they weren't looking in my direction and I retrieved the 60 without incident.

This incident pretty much soured my opinion of ankle holsters. If you are determined to use this mode of carry, I strongly suggest that you test your holster's retention so that you can avoid my unfortunate experience.

i might be a weirdo, but inside of R ankle reversed (i.e. grip facing forward) is pretty comfy and easy to draw. also it allows weak hand (L sided) draw if R arm is busy. give it a try before flaming me on this. thx.

i might be a weirdo, but inside of R ankle reversed (i.e. grip facing forward) is pretty comfy and easy to draw. also it allows weak hand (L sided) draw if R arm is busy. give it a try before flaming me on this. thx.

I think you would muzzle your leg drawing like that, right?

I carry my BG.380 on the inside of my left ankle, it sits on the edge of my low rise workbooks and allows me to carry all day everyday as a builder. I think whatever is comfortable for you, I don't see ankle carry as a quick draw type carry position.

AFAIK no worse than any other ankle position

I think he's saying the butt-forward ankle carry has the same problem as SOB carry with the grip facing the strong side: you'll sweep one of your own body parts on the draw.

Not a real issue IMO; train to keep your finger off the bang switch until you're on target and you've solved that problem. Besides, anyone who carries IWB or ankle is going to have a muzzle pretty much flush against their skin all the time, and if you're Squamish about that then stick with OWB.

So I carry my BUG (Sig P238) on my ankle when I'm wearing my P229 on my hip. I carry it on the inside of my left ankle as I feel it is best protected from someone who would see it or kick it accidentally and it is a good position for draw while seated (in a vehicle). I have heard of people carrying on the inside of their right ankle (righties) to be able to crossdraw with their off hand if their other was disarmed/injured. I have also heard of people carrying on the outside of their right ankle for "ease of access". What are your opinions? How woukd you do it and explain the advantages/disadvantages you see to each position?

I do as you do. I have my G19 on my hip with my LC9s on the inside of my left ankle (I'm a rightly). I've definitely considered the issue of having a left-hand-accessible gun on the right ankle. I just don't think I'd be able to get to it effectively. Under stress with my right arm disabled, I don't think I'd be able to get my pant left cleared quickly with my left. At least no more easily than picking up my primary that I presumably just dropped.

When in doubt, do what James Yeager does... Just carry a primary with a spare on each ankle!

Back
Top Bottom