• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best/Most Reliable backup rifle in 556/223?

I'll second Stevie. I saw the thread title and immediately thought of the Ruger gunsite. I have one in 308 and love it. I never really considered it but bought it on the recommendation of a buddy, and he was right. It's not the greatest at any one single task, but it does really well at just about anything. Robust, reliable, accurate, and many options, irons, red dot, scout setup ect.......

I'd like one in .223 just to match my 308.

This one looks nice I think, it says it's a Lipsey's exclusive.

wm_7637453.jpg

I was very close to buying an MVP but the action felt flimsy. Did you find the same? Did you like it off the bat?

I won my MVP at the local NRA dinner; chose it from the "Wall of Guns". Liked it there immediately. Did a quick wipedown at home, took it to the range and found that the bolt needed to be lapped in a bit with oil. Once that was done it was good; but that was disconcerting.

I really, really enjoy shooting it. I'm just starting to become reasonably proficient with a rifle and I can easily shoot benched 3 inch groups at 200 yards with it. I took it to the 400 yard range that a friend belongs to and reached out to that target which I could barely see, "rang" the gong. A better shot could do better with it; I'm working at it.

It's amazingly small, feels like my 10/22, but it's chambered in .556/223. To answer your question, (yeah, finally getting there, the action does NOT feel flimsy to me).

Last edited:
Build your own backup AR.
  • Make it the way you want with quality parts.
  • Use the stock LPK trigger if it's a backup.
  • Make it an A2 with the plastic forend and A2 stock.
  • Upgrade the trigger, stock and forend if you want to later.
  • If your eyes are still good, put iron sights on it. If they are like mine, put on a red dot with a 3x magnifier that flips out of the way.

See here. It isn't hard.

My thoughts only.

Last edited:
MVP's aren't bad. Coworker has one -- we got it to around just over 1 MOA (multiple 10rd groups, not just one 3 round group, or "called fliers") with my handloads.

Downside is 223 is a poor choice for long distance shooting. If you're never shooting past like 200yds, it doesn't matter though.

Personally, I'd buy more ARs though. Can never have just one. Or five. Or ten... [smile]

I cannot comprehend how one can have one AR and stop there.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Gives me some things to think about. I've looked at the MVP and I liked the ergonomics of it and it felt good in my hands. Ultimately I didn't buy it, but that could change. Also looked at M&P Sport AR-15 at the small Concord Gun Show last weekend in NH. The tag said Mass compliant and was $560 OTD. For some reason I was thinking it would be a cheap POS, but sounds like that is not the case. I think I have that guys business card and possibly reach out to him about it.

As to why only one, well, I love diversity in my collection. I don't have two of the same anything, but have recently started to rethink that position a little. I have diverse firearms that share the same calibers, but as stated only one that shoots 556/223 now. I was on the fence about saving up for a Tavor, but have second thoughts on that. For the price of one I could buy three new ARs or other assorted firearms.

I've had similar thoughts regarding back-up bolt guns in calibers that I stockpile. For myself, I think it might be cool to accumulate AR's and scout style bolt guns in .22, 5.56 and .308.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Gives me some things to think about. I've looked at the MVP and I liked the ergonomics of it and it felt good in my hands. Ultimately I didn't buy it, but that could change. Also looked at M&P Sport AR-15 at the small Concord Gun Show last weekend in NH. The tag said Mass compliant and was $560 OTD. For some reason I was thinking it would be a cheap POS, but sounds like that is not the case. I think I have that guys business card and possibly reach out to him about it.

As to why only one, well, I love diversity in my collection. I don't have two of the same anything, but have recently started to rethink that position a little. I have diverse firearms that share the same calibers, but as stated only one that shoots 556/223 now. I was on the fence about saving up for a Tavor, but have second thoughts on that. For the price of one I could buy three new ARs or other assorted firearms.

I've got a S&W M&P AR and I like it. It's nothing special, but it's solid, reasonably accurate and certainly not a "POS". I bought mine because Connecticut was about to make non-pre-ban "assault weapons" illegal to purchase and I didn't have the time or knowledge to try to build one. I bought one made by Smith & Wesson because it met my criteria and contents of my wallet. 560's a decent price for a decent firearm.

And them I've got my CMMG 24" stainless steel fluted barrel upper that just snaps onto it ...

i think i'd personally stick with a bolt action in the same caliber for a backup, but I decided not to follow this advice myself when I just bought everything to put together my second AR in 5.56.

both arguments can be made however, that you can always use 2 rifles to make 1 if they are of the same/similar platform...but also that backing up with a bolt gun is a pretty damn safe bet as there's not a whole lot that can break on a bolt gun.

i just bought my first REAL long range project bolt gun to backup my .308 AR, but will probably be doing the same to back up my two 5.56 AR's once I hit the lottery. i'll probably be setting up a nice varmint rifle on the same Remington 700 platform my .308 bolt gun is on to keep the commonality between the two so far as fit/feel is concerned (not necessarily part interchangeability).

Reliable 223 that's not an AR or anything mentioned already? I'm thinking Israili Galil.

Expensive and few and far between but I think it qualifies for the thread.

Buy a second AR. Buy a spare LPK, then buy a spare complete upper. Add a red dot or other optic.

Print out the AR Build doc in the green section, and you would have to really screw the pooch to not end up with 2 working rifles.

I have an AR for each member of my immediate family, and a couple more in various stages of assembly.

They feed it perfectly if using 10 round mags and Heavy Trig springs.

That is not what I am hearing. I work in the AR industry. My job entails talking with AR builders 8hrs/day 5 days/wk. I constantly hear from folks with X39 feeding problems. Most wish that they had not chosen the caliber.

So, in your best case scenario, if someone doesn't mind being limited to crippled mags and a heavy trigger pull, they may be able to feed the round? No thanks.

Buy a second AR. Buy a spare LPK, then buy a spare complete upper. Add a red dot or other optic.

Print out the AR Build doc in the green section, and you would have to really screw the pooch to not end up with 2 working rifles.

I have an AR for each member of my immediate family, and a couple more in various stages of assembly.
Every time I buy extra parts they always end up as complete guns!

After checking out a number of options at the Marlboro gun show today I decided to pick up a S&W M&P Sport II. Though I ended up buying it at Holliston Firearms as they prices at the gun show were ridiculous. Much better deal at the shop. I did look at a few of the Mossberg MVPs, but for some reason the stock didn't fit me very well and my cheek weld wasn't right. Think I'll be happy with my new toy.

Reliable 223 that's not an AR or anything mentioned already? I'm thinking Israili Galil.

Expensive and few and far between but I think it qualifies for the thread.

There are plenty of other kit guns and Golani's out there too plus spare parts are semi plentiful. Although I would probably go for buying a second AR first then get a galil/galil clone later.

Back
Top Bottom