Best/Most Reliable backup rifle in 556/223?

Rockrivr1

NES Member
In a thread I did some time ago the discussion on having a single firearm in one caliber was had. Consensus was that having only one firearm in most common calibers is a bad idea in the event of a crisis. Not a big surprise there. Looking in my safe I'm working towards some commonality in calibers with the exception of 556/223. In this case I have one AR and it just so happens I have more 556/223 then any other caliber. Something I need to rectify.

So I'd like your thoughts on what a good backup rifle would be in this caliber. Another AR? Something else? I'm not looking to break the bank with this, but also not looking to cheap out to something unreliable. So as the title says what is the best/most reliable backup rifle in 556/223? Lets break it down to two categories. Semi auto and Bolt Action.

Which do you prefer in each?

Build. my latest build spikes crusader lower alg trigger cmmg parts vltor stock and bcm upper came in around 800 just need some sights and it's ready to roll. Personally I haven't felt the need to f with building an upper from scratch yet but I will soon.

Backup rifle should be a duplicate of your main rifle. Get the best you can afford, then get another one.

If you want reliable you could always go with an AK74, you could also do a AR15 in 7.63x39 in the future and have redundancy on two of the most popular calibers.

I don't know about most reliable being a good metric as most reputable AR-15 manufacturers have no noticeable difference in reliability whether you're paying $500 or $2500. If you use best value as a metric then I would just get a M&P-15 Sport with an etched-reticle RDS and be done with it.

I would go with another AR. The parts are interchangeable, controls the same as your primary. Extremely reliable and accurate if built right.

If you want reliable you could always go with an AK74, you could also do a AR15 in 7.63x39 in the future and have redundancy on two of the most popular calibers.

AR15s don't feed 7.62x39 worth a crap. The reason why is obvious. The taper of the X39 requires a curved mag to feed properly (take a look at an AK mag) You can not insert a curved mag into a straight magwell, hence the X39 AR mags are straight at the top, which brings us back full circle to the tapered cartridge not feeding reliably from a mag without enough curve.

If you want to shoot 7.62 out of an AR15 go with the 7.62X35 which uses stock AR15 mags

M&P-15 Sport is reliable and cost effective- and with the Sport II the original price may get even lower.
I originally picked up a M&P-15 then built my own AR. I also have AK47 and SKS for 7.62x39- diversity is a wonderful thing!

**** yes

I'm building one my self on a sq back receiver so I can use a triangle stock.
Debating if I go with stock yugo mags , and add notches to my circle 10 556 mags I use on my Bulgarian 74 5.56 build.

Or try a stang magwell :/

One project at a time kiddo.

I would go with another AR. The parts are interchangeable, controls the same as your primary. Extremely reliable and accurate if built right.

This too.

556/223 - semi - get/build another AR

556/223 - bolt - I'm really partial to my Mossberg MVP
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mvp-series/mvp-varmint-predator/
and as a bonus, it runs AR style magazines...
This.

I love the Mossberg MVP ? Good backup rifle knowing you can use your AR mags. Two rifles one mag.

Trigger is nice. I have not adjusted it yet. Overall solid rifle for the price.

Cant go wrong with another AR also.

I love bolt and AR's so that's why the Mossberg was a no brainier for me.

image.jpeg

Yugo?
I'm building one my self on a sq back receiver so I can use a triangle stock.
Debating if I go with stock yugo mags , and add notches to my circle 10 556 mags I use on my Bulgarian 74 5.56 build.

Or try a stang magwell :/

$515.

92703.jpg

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...stava+PAP+M85+NP+Pistol+2235.56+10.25"+30+1+P

AR15s don't feed 7.62x39 worth a crap. The reason why is obvious. The taper of the X39 requires a curved mag to feed properly (take a look at an AK mag) You can not insert a curved mag into a straight magwell, hence the X39 AR mags are straight at the top, which brings us back full circle to the tapered cartridge not feeding reliably from a mag without enough curve.

If you want to shoot 7.62 out of an AR15 go with the 7.62X35 which uses stock AR15 mags
They feed it perfectly if using 10 round mags and Heavy Trig springs.

If you are looking for a Backup AR and not going to change a thing on it I say the M&P Sport II. If something breaks on either you can just interchange the parts. can't beat that in the heat of the Moment.

This.

I love the Mossberg MVP ? Good backup rifle knowing you can use your AR mags. Two rifles one mag.

Trigger is nice. I have not adjusted it yet. Overall solid rifle for the price.

Cant go wrong with another AR also.

I love bolt and AR's so that's why the Mossberg was a no brainier for me.

View attachment 157089

Seems like a great combo.
AR with a red dot and BUS and a nice bolt action with good glass.
Not only the same caliber but the same mags.
Got me thinking now .

I'd get another AR because it is a backup. If you want a bolt gun in the caliber it isn't really a backup but another function using the same caliber, i.e. precision shooting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

you could also do a AR15 in 7.63x39 in the future and have redundancy on two of the most popular calibers.

No, don't even think about it, just stop, run away, fast. Bad idea. Those guns are ****ing worthless albatrosses and there's a very good reason for it, because they suck. (just my .02, but if you were working at a gun shop, even a Para Warthog would sell faster than one
of those.... )

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 11 ARs at one point sold all but three.
I couldn't let Mr RRA basic A2 go. It's,been flawless and more accurate than some of my "accurate" builds. Maybe only down size is a non chrome lined barrel which might be a benefit in a long term SHTF
For bolt guns....well I have not had many of those so I would have to go with my Glenfield model 25.

I like the idea of the ruger taking AR mags. Wish savage would have done that. I would most likely just want a compact light bolt action.

Two is One : One is None

Redundancy, as stated above.
If you have two of the same rifles (and I mean that parts will interchange between the two) you will have a working parts gun to cannibalize if you need to.
Yes you are down to one working rifle, but if you had damaged one of the non-similar rifles so that it could not be fired, you only have one working rifle and another rifle that can not be used to salvage parts from.

Try getting any AK parts to work on an AR. (Member Boris excluded [smile])

Last edited:
Barebones AR with irons and a bump fire stock. Tape two 30 rounders together in a v shape with a golf pencil wedged near the bottom. Quick changeover to the full mag when needed.

I love my Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308. I was going to suggest the same in 5.56. It's a nice platform. I buy the scout rifle concept, and have used mine with irons, a red dot, and with a 2-7x scout scope. You could use a standard scope with the supplied rings, too.

The Mossberg MVP seems to come in several flavors (patrol, varmint, predator, flex, etc.) so you can pick the one that suits you. If they take AR mags that's a compelling feature.

Bolt guns will survive the apocalypse and are inherently reliable. Bolt action helps save ammo, too. I tend to waste more ammo shooting semi-automatics.

Last edited:
I'll second Stevie. I saw the thread title and immediately thought of the Ruger gunsite. I have one in 308 and love it. I never really considered it but bought it on the recommendation of a buddy, and he was right. It's not the greatest at any one single task, but it does really well at just about anything. Robust, reliable, accurate, and many options, irons, red dot, scout setup ect.......

I'd like one in .223 just to match my 308.

Back
Top Bottom