• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best Gun Shop in New Hampshire

Why does your staff lie by telling people its a state law that a customer has to show ID to purchase ammo ? That happened to me ,are you going to call me a liar ? I was so impressed that I wont enter any of your establishments .QUOTE=MFLR;4380930]Obviously, we can't please everyone.
But we "NEVER" stop trying at Shooters Outpost or Manchester Firing Line!

Solomon02 - you posted either a lie from that State Rep, or one yourself! We've never had 3,000 dollar .308 Cans, or tell people that it takes 18 months.

Our prices are clear, or will show you where it came from. I have moved over (20,000) NFA Items in my life, and have yet to hear a complaint of overpricing or "gaming" a customer.

We do offer in house fingerprinting at no charge, guidance on doing your own form 1's at no charge, and are always available to answer questions on NFA even if it's not purchased here.

There are tons of great gun stores in the State of NH, and Shooters Outpost has become a "whipping boy" to a few disgruntled people here, and a few ex- employees.

Shooters Outpost, Manchester Firing Line & James L. McLoud & Sons - Is owned, operated, and was built from scratch by Jim & Carey McLoud, and over 30 employees. If anyone ever has a problem with us or our businesses - my door is always open to talk it out. I don't hide behind my computer screen acting like an assh@le throwing comments out that can't be backed up. I can be reached on my cell phone @ 603.396.6540 Jim McLoud[/QUOTE]

Why does your staff lie by telling people its a state law that a customer has to show ID to purchase ammo ? That happened to me ,are you going to call me a liar ? I was so impressed that I wont enter any of your establishments ./QUOTE]

It's the same staff members who insist it's the law they have to check MA residents LTC's before they sell them ammo- because the ATF asked them to do it- or was it because some gang bangers were trying to buy ammo- I forget the excuse(s).

I do not look anywhere near 21- when I bought ammo at Rileys or Collectible or Acme (or any number of shops) they just wanted to see my cash. Shooters Outpost, WalMart's (near the border) and the bad Stateline in Mason demanded to see my ID. Not that it was required in NH, but because they kowtowed to MA laws or threats.

Their business, they can make up any rules they wish. I chose not to spend my money there. Customer's choice.

The first time I went to Shooters I couldnt buy a grip for my AR rail because the guy wasnt sure it was Mass legal to put a forward handgrip on or not and wouldnt sell it to me, being a total noob I didnt know any better so I walked out, the second time really pissed me off though, I ( Stupidly ) forgot my LTC and went into Shooters with a friend and after looking around we grabbed about $200 worth of ammo each, approached the counter and like I said stupid me for forgetting my LTC, I tell my friend at the counter that I would give him my $200 and he would have to do the purchase since I forgot my LTC. So we put the ammo on the counter and my buddy shows his NH ID and the guy behind the counter tells him he cant buy any of the ammo because he knows that some of it is for me and I dont have an ID. IDK maybe its just me but I thought it was complete BS and havnt been there since, nor has my buddy.

No employee ever said what was claimed "period"

Wow....as a manager of retail staff(good staff, at that), there is no way I can ever speak in absolutes like that. I was told at SO that I couldn't by 2 8lb kegs of powder(Bullseye) because I would be over the legal transport limit [thinking]...methinks that this was because it was toward the end of the day and the employee wanted one of the jugs for himself, as these were the last 2. Guess we're just a bunch of liars here. I've never been witness to the "LTC for ammo" policy, but have heard enough stories to believe it, unless there's a vast conspiracy.

So, Jim, does a Ma resident need to show an LTC to by ammo, components, etc?

BELMONT is the best no doubt about it. They have a huge selection, always stocked on ammo, they have a range and the owner Bob is a super nice guy unlike one of the worst shops in NH "Trader Johns" in Winchester where the guy is a total dink!
Damn, I forgot to add Belmont to my post.
Thanks for the reminder. I haven't been there in a while.
I don't know about the "best" but a good one no doubt. And I agree, Bob is pretty cool.

I've been watching this thread as we are headed up there on Sunday and planning to drop a decent chunk of change. The experiences in the thread and the conceited responses have me second guessing my decision. Guess we will stop at SO last rather than first but I can't be more clear MFLR: If your staff asks me for ID you can go f yourself and keep the merch.

There are plenty of choices for our business; just read this thread. Do you know why so many competitors are opening up new shops? Look in the mirror.

And maybe read this thread:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=271294

I've been watching this thread as we are headed up there on Sunday and planning to drop a decent chunk of change. The experiences in the thread and the conceited responses have me second guessing my decision. Guess we will stop at SO last rather than first but I can't be more clear MFLR: If your staff asks me for ID you can go f yourself and keep the merch.

There are plenty of choices for our business; just read this thread. Do you know why so many competitors are opening up new shops? Look in the mirror.

And maybe read this thread:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=271294
Why would you tell any New Hampshirite how to run his business? Don't like the rules? Easy fix: keep buying your shit in Massachusetts. I can't think of 2 people who would give a rolling donut. YOU want to come here. We didn't call you, or ask you to visit NH.

Shooter's Outpost staff refused to sell me a handgun because I had a recent NH paper license and they "were not sure I really moved to NH yet". Because, you know, a valid NH driver's license and a copy of my lease do not establish residency according to them.

Thank you for making new residency standards up, Jim. Would be glad to call you if you want to verify this one happened. And yes, you have the right to refuse a sale for any reason that is good to you, as you own the business... but this is a terrible idea that is losing you money frequently (at least every time I shop).

Why would you tell any New Hampshirite how to run his business? Don't like the rules? Easy fix: keep buying your shit in Massachusetts. I can't think of 2 people who would give a rolling donut. YOU want to come here. We didn't call you, or ask you to visit NH.

Who said anything about Mass? You attack me because you have some sort of misplaced ownership of a state that I grew up in? Go pound sand.

Fixed, my bad Derek.

Last edited:
Oh no! Not the kittens!
BTW, My wallet still hates you for the advice on BCM uppers. I'm already looking for the next one. SS or chrome bore, that is the question.

MFLR there are plenty of us who don't mind showing our ID and understand why it's your policy.

Does anybody remember when Riley's was the only big game in town? Their service was not that great back in the day IMO. Now with SO in operation as competition right down the street they really have improved customer service and have better pricing and it makes for better gun run fun days all around.

I shop at both Rileys and SO but SO has become my favorite gun store.

Any business can make their own rules.That said, when you try to pass your rules off as state or federal laws that makes you a d-
Bag and a liar.

QUOTE=frenchman;4382987]Why would you tell any New Hampshirite how to run his business? Don't like the rules? Easy fix: keep buying your shit in Massachusetts. I can't think of 2 people who would give a rolling donut. YOU want to come here. We didn't call you, or ask you to visit NH.[/QUOTE]

It's kinda apples and oranges. Reilly's has this "little local gun store" feeling, as where.SO is more the "one stop shop" sorta place. Both will beat the snot out of all these bass pro-Cabella's big box stores.

Yes and. Bill Bailey lives about a mile from me.

QUOTE=JWPaolilliJr;4383096]I plan on giving Marshalls a visit, They are big supporters of the New Hampshire Trappers Assoc.[/QUOTE]

Collectible in Merrimack is my favorite.
I think they're now called 619 DW Guns and Ammo?

Yes Collectable Arms and Ammo in Merrimack is now going by their "new" name 619 DW Guns and Ammo
https://www.facebook.com/CollectableArms?pnref=lhc

They went to the "new" name when the moved to the new location/new store ( about a year and 1/2 ago) . ...but lots of people still know and refer to them by their old name.

Last edited:
Only been to Collectable Arms in NH. But, I got to say I'm a big fan. Any place that has the balls to express their pro-gun opinion in a generally liberal part of the country by decorating their exterior store with anti-gun politicians and getting away with it is pure genius. I dont think I've ever even seen anything like that in Texas. They even gave me a free Obama 'Firearms Salesman of All Time' sticker with my AK ammo purchase.
[rofl]

Only been to Collectable Arms in NH. But, I got to say I'm a big fan. Any place that has the balls to express their pro-gun opinion in a generally liberal part of the country by decorating their exterior store with anti-gun politicians and getting away with it is pure genius. I dont think I've ever even seen anything like that in Texas. They even gave me a free Obama 'Firearms Salesman of All Time' sticker with my AK ammo purchase.
[rofl]

Yep, Keith is the man! Check out his shop in Merrimack!

That was his old location. His new location below has three times the window space [rofl]

619DW.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Collectable/619 DW is an awesome shop and Keith and crew are true Patriots!!

Love the shop and the attitude. Wish I were a free man and could buy whatever I wanted there and hope someday to make that happen.

I know this is late but there is a small shop in Temple NH called Firearms Etc. he does a lot of AR builds and has good connections to barrels bolts and also Fortis rails and accessories, doesn't keep a lot in stock but can get within a week, the guy knows his stuff and will work with you to build. Buy parts form him he installs free and also if you want to learn how to yourself he is willing to teach you how.
Give Ken a call at 603-562-7832

Guess we will stop at SO last rather than first but I can't be more clear MFLR: If your staff asks me for ID you can go f yourself and keep the merch.

Can anyone explain to me why this is such an issue?

I mean do people get this bent when they get carded buying booze?

Can anyone explain to me why this is such an issue?

I mean do people get this bent when they get carded buying booze?

I don't think it's so much THAT they do it, but HOW they do it. I've heard a lot of accounts of staff members stating that it's the law, and it's not. If it's store policy, that's fine, but say so, don't hide behind the fallacy that the state makes you do it.

So, Jim, does a Ma resident need to show an LTC to by ammo, components, etc?

I've only ever been asked for an FID. Which is a moot question, because I just hand the young woman my CC, ID & LTC all at the same time.

I don't think it's so much THAT they do it, but HOW they do it. I've heard a lot of accounts of staff members stating that it's the law, and it's not. If it's store policy, that's fine, but say so, don't hide behind the fallacy that the state makes you do it.

So... Some 20 year old girl just trying to make enough money to get drunk with her buddies this weekend gives the wrong answer, and everyone acts like it is the end of freedom as we know it?

I guess I just don't understand, particularly those that live in MA, being upset about it... Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a trivial thing to get bent about.

So... Some 20 year old girl just trying to make enough money to get drunk with her buddies this weekend gives the wrong answer, and everyone acts like it is the end of freedom as we know it?

I guess I just don't understand, particularly those that live in MA, being upset about it... Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a trivial thing to get bent about.

I guess it comes down to a couple of things:

If they outright lie about it, citing a law that doesn't exist, then it's not a store that i want to do business with.

If the counter help doesn't have any idea what they're talking about WRT laws, then it's not a store I want to do business with.

In this case, I don't see the end of freedom as we know it, I see a dishonest, or at best, an uninformed staff. I do see it as a minor encroachment; what business is it of theirs where you're gonna take the ammo/components/gun parts you buy? Personal responsibility is what we all preach, and if they won't let someone with a Ma DL, purchase ammo to go shoot at their buddy's range in Hooksett, without an LTC, they're not practicing what they preach. If they cite a non-existent law concern no sales to MA residents without an LTC, they they're just flat out liars.

So your the spokesperson for the bussiness owners of NH? Im sure they completely disagree with you about not giving a shit because most bussiness owners want as much bussiness as they can get, and should welcome Mass residents that decide to cross the border and give them their money, thats what its all about right, making money? Giving Mass residents attitude is completely moronic, fellow gun owners and gun shops should want as many people to get involved with guns and shouldnt treat them like THEY are outcasts just because their POS state keeps them in handcuffs. The more happy customers and more happy gun owners the better for all of us.

If they outright lie about it, citing a law that doesn't exist, then it's not a store that i want to do business with.

If the counter help doesn't have any idea what they're talking about WRT laws, then it's not a store I want to do business with.

I've only been there a half dozen times or so, but if the girl at the front is old enough to drink I'd be shocked.

In this case, I don't see the end of freedom as we know it, I see a dishonest, or at best, an uninformed staff. I do see it as a minor encroachment; what business is it of theirs where you're gonna take the ammo/components/gun parts you buy? Personal responsibility is what we all preach, and if they won't let someone with a Ma DL, purchase ammo to go shoot at their buddy's range in Hooksett, without an LTC, they're not practicing what they preach. If they cite a non-existent law concern no sales to MA residents without an LTC, they they're just flat out liars.

I mean, do what you want with your money, it's yours. However the last time I actually put this much thought into what a 20 year old girl said or thought, I was trying to date said 20 year old, not basing entire moral judgement of an entire organization based on showing an ID for something they won't refuse to sell me.

Now, someone says they won't shop at Dick's because of the Modern Sporting Rifle ban BS? Okay, I get that. If Shooters put your personal info in the computer then I would be like F that too. But we're talking about a young girl asking to see your ID and then selling you everything you wanted...

IDK, maybe I'm wrong here and should be offended too.

Back
Top Bottom