• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best 1911's - Top Tier - Looking for recommendations

I have a few custom 1911’s and a couple Wilson’s

They’re all nice , especially the Wilson’s

But In all honesty, they’re no nicer and no more reliable or accurate than my Springfield TRP that cost half the money or you could bump it up to a Springfield professional and still come out ahead

Last edited:
The Colt Competition 1911 is quite Excellent, right out of the box! (for right around ~$1k)
You can get in 45ACP, 9mm, & 38 Super if you're a Stephan Hunter fan ;)
I own a Colt Competition in 45 now that was worked on by Santurri. It is an awesome gun.

I have owned Colts and own an sti, a springfield trp, two dan wesson pointman and now a les baer premier. I've shot a few more more expensive ones like wilson and ed brown. Fondled others. The fact that you can get two dw pointman models for one Wilson amazes me. There's no reason to go to a more expensive gun unless you just want the luxury points.

Sorry @fencer, I’m not an expert. I know some 1911,s are too tight to run carry ammo. Something about hollow points getting jams. Experts please correct me.

I have a s&W E series that go for $900 and change last time I checked. I paid about $1,200 for mine and was told later I got raped. It has run flawlessly ball and fancy carry ammo. Has a rail and night sights.

You are probably looking fancier and I admire that financial capability. I’ve just found that a lower end pistol has been awesome for me. Way too big and heavy to carry for me, but not impossible.

Edit: mine is the 5 inch steel model. Heavy, light recoil and more accurate than I will ever be.

Last edited:
I would go Lou at Business End Custom, the attention to detail is awesome and the fit and finish is really good. I would go one of his guns before SVI.
Another builder I would recommend but I'm not sure is still building is Dan Bedell. I had 2 of his guns and they are 50K round guns that are still tight and accurate. Those are the 2 I would recommend after having the following customs.

Cheely, 3 different guns. Run well, but he was a pain to deal with, fit wasn't what I hoped for a custom
Millenium, good guns but nothing special
Derr ...meh. mine ran but the rails weren't cut square
Gans guns.. wouldn't run when it got hot.
A not to be named custom builder. His guns just run
Anything build by me...it will run, but man it looks like money put it together.

I have spend a good amount time with
SVIs..always pretty, usually ran, sometimes didn't...saw a surprising amount of broken ones, you really need two, one to shoot while the other is getting fixed
Atlas guns... shot great, looked great, good guy making them
Akai custom. Probably some of the best shooting guns when their strokers came out.
Freedom gun works. Meh Don't care for the owner
Brazos, shot great, this was my first true custom gun experience and quickly realized that there is a difference
STI. I wouldn't buy anything from STI anymore...quality is down the shitter since the went DVC then all timmay

Last edited:
Sorry @fencer, I’m not an expert. I know some 1911,s are too tight to run carry ammo. Something about hollow points getting jams. Experts please correct me.

I have a s&W E series that go for $900 and change last time I checked. I paid about $1,200 for mine and was told later I got raped. It has run flawlessly ball and fancy carry ammo. Has a rail and night sights.

You are probably looking fancier and I admire that financial capability. I’ve just found that a lower end pistol has been awesome for me. Way too big and heavy to carry for me, but not impossible.

Edit: mine is the 5 inch steel model. Heavy, light recoil and more accurate than I will ever be.
I paid about that 8-10 years ago as well. I have the stainless railed version. I still love it and it was nightstand gun until recently. I just never got the carry time out of it. Even with a pretty crazy OWB setup.

How about a nice old Colt to start with ? Love my 1980’s Gold Cup NM. Not top of the the line , but classic looks and history, fun to shoot. Lots of nice ones out there if you do your homework.

I have owned Colts and own an sti, a springfield trp, two dan wesson pointman and now a les baer premier. I've shot a few more more expensive ones like wilson and ed brown. Fondled others. The fact that you can get two dw pointman models for one Wilson amazes me. There's no reason to go to a more expensive gun unless you just want the luxury points.
I think the price difference between DW and Wilson is from the pointman being a production pistol and using various cast parts , a lot has changed with DW since CZ acquired them , even at that, probably one of the nicest production guns on the market

Wilson’s 1911’s are still made one by one by individual smiths, hand fit and assembled from start to finish a custom gun rather than a production gun

Skilled Labor hours cost money

I get the pride of ownership thing and nothing wrong with that, i like spending time at my desk admiring these amazing machines. My favorite though is my Sig Sauer 1911 XO. All business, about 900 bucks and always makes me smile. Not sure that $$$=happy always.

Attachments

• 20160926_132656.jpg
    20160926_132656.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 26
I may be wrong but I believe Dan Wesson doesn't use any cast parts in their 1911's

The lowest tier almost skinflint grade DWs (the ones that used to be a grand, dunno what they go for now) have cast frames but they're still great guns. I don't think the detail parts are MIM etc, though.

I think the price difference between DW and Wilson is from the pointman being a production pistol and using various cast parts , a lot has changed with DW since CZ acquired them
I may be wrong but I believe Dan Wesson doesn't use any cast parts in their 1911's
Yeah I’m 99% certain that DW doesn’t use any cast or MIM parts since they were purchased by CZ. All frames are forged.

Most people can't tell the difference between MIM and machined steel.

Just about everybody doesn't run their gun hard enough to matter anyways.
I agree. You get what you pay for to a certain point, then on the top tier the extra is fit, finish, and reliablity.

Dan Wesson for the price point really is a fine gun and the most I've ever consider paying for a 1911. Ive had Springfields, Smiths and Rugers. Never a problem with any of them, the amount I shoot them. And that really is the key. I don't shoot them enough to spend a lot of money on one gun. I can't even tell the difference....except maybe in finish.....Smith, Springfield, Ruger in that order of finish quality.

I've got a Rock Island for my bang around 1911....but its not what I would call super reliable or what I would want for a 1911.......low tier, dont expect much for that kind of money. It goes bang 98% of the time. I woudn't carry it in defense of my life. I would never bother with "making it better" I'd just buy a better name gun instead.

I feel if I paid 4 grand for a 1911, it would just a be a safe queen. But I woudn't knock anyone for buying a Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc.......they are quality guns.

I'll also say, i don't carry 1911's at all for self defense for the most part. The Glock or the Canik work for me. I don't want the weight of a 1911, and when you try to lighten them with aluminum frames, they just become tougher to shoot because of recoil. And correct me if I'm wrong, but 1911's were not made to be 9mm and maybe some of them are great, but I still think its a issue.

Last edited:
Dan Wessons are popular in the shootings sports, where reliability is importent and higher round counts are common.

I know you don,t want stainless but ED Browns are sharp looking in stainless!!

Greg Derr and Lou Business end custom are local with great reps and are local for any teething issues and your dealing with a live person
I agree with this also. Had a DW Guardian. Great shooter, zero issues, great fit and finish.

Back
Top Bottom