Been Practicing

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I've been practicing for the military shoots at my club every third Sunday (Sippican in Rochester - there's your plug, Matt). We shoot two sets of 20 factory rounds; 10 standing, and 10 your choice (prone for me). For the second 20, you can use another rifle if you want.

At the first shoot, I scored 235 with the Swedish Mauser and took second place. The winner is our 'professional' shooter who averages 350 or so. I've had the following out for practice this spring:

Swedish Mauser: 185
M1 Winchester carbine: 178
M1 Garand: 290
03 Springfield: 165
41 bcd Norwegian Mauser: 148

Today I took out the as-issued IBM carbine for a 259. I'd like to try the trapdoor Springfield and the Remington 03A3 as well before next week. It looks like the Garand is my next entry; I did fine tune it with one more click of elevation.

T

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I lived out that way...we like all the same guns. [rofl]

I will make it out to a match at some point this year with my IHC garand...I got it last fall and haven't even shot it yet.

There's a match tomorrow @ Old Colony Sportsmen in Pembroke https://sites.google.com/site/oldcolonysaweb/home/cmp-matches

Tim keeping M1 carbines in the black is a challenge. 1903/A3s ? All I can say is if they are not in a C stock there are not the easiest to shoot. Plus the recoil can be a accuracy killer after a while.
I had the A3 out today. Shooting match loads and some cast loads.
I let my friend finish up 5 rounds of my match ammo then 5 rounds of HXP. His response WTF are those. There is a very noticeable difference in recoil.
To me the M1 Garand is one of the best all around surplus rifle to shoot for score. Shooting the A3 in rapids is a score killer for me being lefty. There is a Springfield match @ Pembroke in July https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ed7I-0dDxIYWlOUEQ4OS0weXM/view
CLUB AMMO PRICES ARE NOW 40$ 55 rounds hxp

There is also a CMP shoot @ Hanson Rod and Gun , Hanson Ma
Next Sunday 12noon. Laid back shoot shot in match format 50 rounds total. I believe Hanson is still 35$ 50 rounds. Ammo must be shot during shoot.

Last edited:
Your using the SR target with 13" bull and your resident expert is only shooting 350s?
Tim with a little practice with the M1 you will be cleaning those targets right up! Then you will be the resident high score.

Keep 40 shots in the 13" black bull and your min score is 360!

Last edited:
Might have been 365; our first meet. He's won every shoot over the years we've done them.

T

it just goes to show you. with out training and practice its tough to put shots consistently in the middle. I have fun trying

Except for the day I used an old Chi-Com SKS to beat two appleseed instructors using M1 Garands. [wink]

Nice, I have one sks that shoots well enough to keep them in the black....problem is I was using the lapua match stuff from days gone by. Have not found any ammo worthy of much better than 5 MOA since. Now with the older eyes I shoot worse! My Rx helps but it's just not the same.

Which reminds me I should give that one another spin, as well as the new SMLE. The matched '17 Erfurt Kar98 was pretty good too, IIRC.

T

Tried the 1917 Erfurt Kar98 today; score 260. 20 rounds each target, 10 standing and 10 seated, both with sling. Ammo was a nice mix of 1992 (25) and 1997 (15) Yugo M75. Forgot that the POA is in the black, not under it. All those low shots would have been right up there. I tried sitting this time as bolt actions really hurt my shoulder now in the prone position; no more fat layer now.

T

Nice.... maybe it's time for a shooting coat. Maybe find a USMC or a tenX shooting coat. They are not that heavy and provide nice elbow pads, shoulder pad and sling cuff.
You could order one from here that is made in simular design https://sites.google.com/site/madebymcron/home

I modified a sling clip to fit my mauser and use a usgi web loop sling... get used to slinging up right and felt recoil is reduced IMHO

Also been using cast loads in the mauser,1903a3,mosin and Enfield loving the lack of recoil and cheap ammo.

Last edited:
Tim I been practicing also..... on cast loads that is. You have enough reasons to cast your own with your collection.

pulled this off last sunday 20 rounds prone with web sling out of my 1903a3

I figured the pulling left is me with the sling. I'm letting the recoil push me back rather than holding firm against it, and since I'm a lefty, the rifle moves up and left. Without the sling, I'm not attached to the rifle and my shoulder will move more than the rifle.

Did shoot the matched 1892 Spandau Gew88/S. 4th variation 1915-1916 conversion (after the 88/05 and 88/14) that kept the Manlicher clip, closing the bottom of the magazine while adding a plunger that made the clip a top eject feature. The sights were scrubbed and renumbered for the Spitzer bullet.

First 5 rounds standing missed the target with the POA on the bottom of the black. WTH? I shot the next 5 benched and aimed halfway down the target - those are the circled ones high on the left target. For the rest I aimed at the bottom center of the target. I didn't think I had to compensate so much for this piece. Mix 1992 and 1997 M75 Yugo at 100 yards; shot the same as the other conditions. I'm curious about the next time out when I press back against the recoil.

Overall a 187; meh. Next up the 1916 Enfield SMLE, then the 1915 Westinghouse M91. I'll keep practicing as I will miss this weekend's shoot as we'll be going back to VT WITHOUT the kid as he's in camp, so we can enjoy ourselves.

T

Oh, the den is torn up as the painting starts Monday for that and all the new windows from April. Ray, I'll get new curtains and rods.

Last edited:
The recoil is IMHO not the issue with your target results.
It's tough to tell as that rifle probably doesn't like the high powered M75 ammo.
Lighter ammo would help. Im not to up on the GEW 88s or there conversions but the ammo back then was 150ish grains and loaded lighter than say WWII era 8mm

As for your target. I'm not that good to really give you the best advice. I can only repeat what I heard when looking to improve.
. I'm also a lefty so this is all from LH perspective
Scattered shots
" front sight your not focusing on the front sight"
Shots to left
" your yanking the trigger"
Shots to right/low
" Your pushing in to rifle anticipating recoil"
Vertical stringing
"Check your breathing"
Shots start in one direction and bleed over to other side
"Natural point of aim"

It looks like you could fit a standard usgi sling through the sling swivel on that. I'm not sure if its long enough? Using the loop sling correctly will help the rifle and you become one.
Also a nice loose cupped forward grip. You don't want to hold onto the stock with your support hand.

Another thing us lefties have to contend with is staying in position as much as possible and cycle the action.

1915 M91 Westinghouse. 40 rounds 1977 code '188' silver tips. I did not use the sling - an original SA interwar leather one. Very heavy rifle to keep steady. I should have aimed in the black and not below. Rounds more centered.

One keyhole[bs1] Maybe it's time to retire this one; original counter-bored barrel.

T

I had brought the SMLE to shoot today, but at 98 degrees it was too hot. So I shot the 1906 M95 Nagant at 35 feet, which was still hot enough. 42 rounds of 1988 surplus. Target is correct; I had it sideways by mistake. The high and low pair were caused by the swinging target - it was windy. The wide holes are not keyholes; I shot a bunch from the left edge of the range in the shade so they hit at an angle.

T

Last edited:
Matched 1916 F-block RSAF Enfield SMLE.

A more tolerable 86 degrees and windy. 40 rounds 1969 HXP. I benched the first two rounds; they were the left target's 9:00 "X" line split and the 9:00 nine ring with the front sight POA in the black. I used the original 1916 sling as well. I know I can do better than this. I noticed about 1/2 the shots were POA'd just below the black, but that still doesn't explain the left! The more I shoot this rifle, the more I like it. I'll do it justice some day.

Pedestrian 205.

T

If you m1895 shooters don't reload your Prvi Partizan or other boxer-primed brass, save up a small flat rate and mail it to me. I'll give you no less than thrice scrap value.

Matched 1916 F-block RSAF Enfield SMLE.

A more tolerable 86 degrees and windy. 40 rounds 1969 HXP. I benched the first two rounds; they were the left target's 9:00 "X" line split and the 9:00 nine ring with the front sight POA in the black. I used the original 1916 sling as well. I know I can do better than this. I noticed about 1/2 the shots were POA'd just below the black, but that still doesn't explain the left! The more I shoot this rifle, the more I like it. I'll do it justice some day.

Pedestrian 205.

T

If your benched shots went POA/POI then its most likely trigger control. Being lefty if you are applying pressure with your trigger hand as you squeeze the trigger it will pull the muzzle to the left. Also if you are gripping your support hand tight it will cause problems. jest cradle the front of the rifle in the U shape of you hand. dont grip it. consistent head placement and sight picture help also. not always easy on the combat sights.

9/1943 Remington 03-A3. 20 rounds '82 HXP left and 20 rounds '78 HXP right. Good news; I worked on my trigger control, and all shots were within the 5 ring. Bad news, I aimed too low and as such scored only 173. I'll try the 03-A3 again and aim higher (in the black). This is actually the best I've shot with this one - I wish the front sight had wings like the Garand and Carbine.

T

9/1943 Remington 03-A3. 20 rounds '82 HXP left and 20 rounds '78 HXP right. Good news; I worked on my trigger control, and all shots were within the 5 ring. Bad news, I aimed too low and as such scored only 173. I'll try the 03-A3 again and aim higher (in the black). This is actually the best I've shot with this one - I wish the front sight had wings like the Garand and Carbine.

T

See now after all this practice your targets are developing a pattern. Seems to be low and left.
You might be anticipating recoil and pushing into the gun with your shoulder that will drive the muzzle low. One thing that worked well with me is I do not release the trigger until the gun settles back down after the shot. If you settle back down and your front sight is not aiming in the same spot your natural,point of aim is off. Once I settle back down I release the trigger and cycle the bolt.
Instead of holding higher adjust your rear sight. I have a rough chart that will give you the estimated changes of moa with the rear elevation changes. I will send it to you or the link. It's pretty darn close especially using hxp.

You really need to take advantage of the 2 stage trigger on the 1903a3
Even with out any tuning they are decent triggers. Especially on a well maintained worn rifle. I love my 1903a3 trigger along with the K31 smooth and crisp through out. My 1903a4 clone all the parts are freshly reparked and you can really feel the difference.

Last edited:
I do use the two stage trigger. I let my first 03A3 go as it had been shaved down to single action; I like to know exactly when it will break. As I get into my sight picture, I take in the slack.

T

I do use the two stage trigger. I let my first 03A3 go as it had been shaved down to single action; I like to know exactly when it will break. As I get into my sight picture, I take in the slack.

T

Here is the link to the rear sight changes in MOA http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=65533

to center up your group ( i assume your holding 6 oclock on the black?) aprox 6 to 7 moa up and 4 moa right should center your group then you work on shrinking that group. Your elevation should be adjusted to 350 or 400 setting and see what happens.
Do you shoot with the sight protector on ?

Last edited:
I use the sight protector; for me it works like a Mauser sight hood.

T

It means switching from a 6:00 hold to a frame or center hold. Or as you say, keep a 6:00 with a click of elevation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom