Been Practicing

I tend to leave my sight hood on also. What I found is I really can't shoot 6o'clock hold with the hoods.
I also had to switch out my front sight to the thicker USMC front sight. I needed to correct my poa/poi also so,the new sight was nice change.
I am trying to figure out a day I can make it to one of those shoots down there.

Second try. 40 rounds mixed HXP: '65, '71, '78, and '82. Same conditions; 100 yards, 91 degrees, humid and still. One click up and 5 rounds at 2 clicks right windage, then five at 4 clicks, and then back to 3 clicks right windage. Score 304 - I'm onto something![dance]

T

Last edited:
For a change, I took a pistol to the range. I realized I hadn't shot any 9mm this year, so I put 6 magazines out of my 1917 M08 Erfurt Luger. 51 rounds of 115gr WWB at 37 feet; the original spare magazine holds 8 rounds and a mismatched WWI Erfurt mag holds 7. A few stovepipes and one misfeed, but I'm not complaining as its a hoot to shoot.

T

Last edited:
For a change, I took a pistol to the range. I realized I hadn't shot any 9mm this year, so I put 6 magazines out of my 1917 M08 Erfurt Luger. 51 rounds of 115gr WWBat 37 feet; the original spare magazine holds 8 rounds and a mismatched WWI Erfurt mag holds 7. A few stovepipes and one misfeed, but I'm not complaining as its a hoot to shoot.

T

Sweet , I forget I have a luger all the time. Mine is a beater. Rescued from a damp basement many years ago.

Tried the M17 Eddystone today after 5 rounds from the 1862 Enfield. All 5 rounds missed the target; I'll have to move back to 50 yards another time to see which way they're going.

84 degrees, mostly sunny, 100 yards, same conditions. 40 rounds mixed HXP: 1965, 1971, 1976, 1978, and 1982. I drifted left and was high for once. Very heavy rifle; the muzzle kept wandering. Score 275. I plan to make this weeks shoot.

T

Nice Tim,
I'm a Lefty also....when my shots tend to drift left I generally find my natural point of aim is off and your trying to hold the sights forcibly to the right. Also I tend to cant the gun if the stock is not sitting in the flat of my palm.
How's the trigger on the Eddystone?

Trigger is OK, but I find the pull distance a little longer than other American and German arms, and as such, a little awkward and uncomfortable for me.

T

My left/right seemed OK at the time. I noticed a difficulty in keeping my up and down. It seemed I was constantly shifting to get my breathing to match my POA; almost impossible with a bolt action. Used the hasty sling, but the rifle was loose resting in my right palm.

T

Last edited:
My left/right seemed OK at the time. I noticed a difficulty in keeping my up and down. It seemed I was constantly shifting to get my breathing to match my POA; almost impossible with a bolt action. Used the hasty sling, but the rifle was loose resting in my right palm.

T

The triggers are not the best on the M17. Not the ones I have touched anyway. Lightly polishing up the contacts and making sure there is no crud in the sear spring area can help.
Try using a basic usgi web sling and use the loop.
Getting the rifle in the same spot shooting lefty is a challenge with a,bolt gun.
After you fire your shot at your next practice session. Close your eyes and let the rifle settle. Open your eyes once everything settles see where your front sight is.

Last edited:
Today was not my best day but shot ok for a rifle I have not shot in some time CMP SG, 1955 HRA new cmp wood and HXP 100 yards Prone with sling. Brain fart on my zero then real brain fart on adjustments.....kept thinking in 1/4 moa for the AR !!! Generally I can keep 20 rounds in the black.... although not long ago I could not. Proper use of the sling improved my score by 25 points on average. Then dryfire exercises at home really help. especially in awful hand. A area I have been slacking in this year and it shows. From mid 80s/ low 90s to mid 70s this year......yuk. 411/500 4X
Aug 16th cmp prone.jpg

Today was our anniversary. The wife and I went out antiquing and flea marketing. Had lunch, and then home. She fell asleep in the recliner, and I fell asleep on the floor with the rabbit. Romantic stuff at our age.

T

Today was our anniversary. The wife and I went out antiquing and flea marketing. Had lunch, and then home. She fell asleep in the recliner, and I fell asleep on the floor with the rabbit. Romantic stuff at our age.

T

Ahh yes sleep....something the wife and I miss

Took the infuriating Winchester back to the range to settle things once and for all. Shot 50 rounds of older Aguilla (~10 years old), Hot (85), Humid (70%), and Hazy. Shot 20 rounds benched at 25 yards on a scrap target to adjust windage. Left target; shot another 10 once things were settled (the first shot was the 9:00). The group was satisfactory, but is the loosest of the 4 carbines I have owned. The rear sight is mostly all the way left; It bothers me, but I guess that's where it has to be.

Went to the 100 yard range and shot the last 20 benched as well. Shot the first 10 with the POA on the bottom the the center square - these were mostly the lower hits. Shot the last 10 with the POA on top of the center square, covering it, and most were on target. Next time out, I'll start there. I've considered letting it go and look for another, but its a Winchester. The good news this time was that there was no stringing, but that's probably because I shot benched.

T

P.S.

I just dismounted the action to clean the soot out of the stock as the Aguilla was fairly dirty. When I remounted the action, I noticed the recoil plate was loose. So I snugged up the plate with a turn on the screw so the barrel now floats just a little, and I now wonder what impact that will have.

Last edited:
Took the infuriating Winchester back to the range to settle things once and for all. Shot 50 rounds of older Aguilla (~10 years old), Hot (85), Humid (70%), and Hazy. Shot 20 rounds benched at 25 yards on a scrap target to adjust windage. Left target; shot another 10 once things were settled (the first shot was the 9:00). The group was satisfactory, but is the loosest of the 4 carbines I have owned. The rear sight is mostly all the way left; It bothers me, but I guess that's where it has to be.

Went to the 100 yard range and shot the last 20 benched as well. Shot the first 10 with the POA on the bottom the the center square - these were mostly the lower hits. Shot the last 10 with the POA on top of the center square, covering it, and most were on target. Next time out, I'll start there. I've considered letting it go and look for another, but its a Winchester. The good news this time was that there was no stringing, but that's probably because I shot benched.

T

P.S.

I just dismounted the action to clean the soot out of the stock as the Aguilla was fairly dirty. When I remounted the action, I noticed the recoil plate was loose. So I snugged up the plate with a turn on the screw so the barrel now floats just a little, and I now wonder what impact that will have.

Loose recoil plate is much like a loose trigger guard....it will not help you one bit...[smile]
You can re zero your rear sight by moving the entire rear sight in the receiver dove tail.
Often though they are heavily staked....personally I would leave it be if the staking is strong and solid.
My carbines have all had loose rear sights so I have zeroed by drifting housing then staking.
Then fine tune my zero with the windage. Still have not adjusted front sight to correctly zero the elevation. All my carbine run on 200 yards or more for 100 yard shooting.

Snuck out just before range closing and shot 10 rounds of 1987 Korean surplus off a stripper. First time I used a carbine stripper - took a little while to figure it out - but it sure makes loading faster. 70 degrees, some fog, 74% humidity, light breeze and scattered drizzle. Can't ask for better. POA is marked on the target.

I remembered why I take target pictures outside on the woodpile; I had to keep pushing the rabbit away from his evening snack.

T

Last edited:
Snuck out just before range closing and shot 10 rounds of 1987 Korean surplus off a stripper. First time I used a carbine stripper - took a little while to figure it out - but it sure makes loading faster. 70 degrees, 74% humidity, light breeze and scattered drizzle. Can't ask for better. POA is marked on the target.

I remembered why I take target pictures outside on the woodpile; I had to keep pushing the rabbit away from his evening snack.

T

Nice, that's about what you could expect from a carbine. I know I posted the actual accuracy test target some where. It's very forgiving.

Took the Victory revolver out today. Before you comment on the target, I changed the game rules. Instead of standing in one place, as I was alone, I wandered the pistol range which is 12 x 25 yards. There was a lot of brass on the ground; as I walked picking up brass I would turn and fire one or two rounds from anywhere on the range. The shortest shot was 16 feet, the longest 52, and the average between 25 and 35. For those who don't know me personally, I was a Federal officer with the Fish and Wildlife Service back in the early 90's and trained with a S/W 686 .357 in stainless steel. In particular I remember the 'double tap' technique - chest/head. I've owned two different model 19-3 S/W .357s. The M1905 (later called the M10 after WWII) isn't really that much different, and shooting it is very natural to me. I shot the remains of a partial box of Winchester .38 special, 130 grain FMJ wad cutters. I used a new piece of cardboard backing to see if I missed any - and there were none. I don't know how many rounds I shot, but all hit the target. Considering every shot was double action and I was moving while shooting, I think I still have the 'touch'.

In addition, I scored 183 pieces of 9mm, .40, and .45 brass.

T

Last edited:
Took the Victory revolver out today. Before you comment on the target, I changed the game rules. Instead of standing in one place, as I was alone, I wandered the pistol range which is 12 x 25 yards. There was a lot of brass on the ground; as I walked picking up brass I would turn and fire one or two rounds from anywhere on the range. The shortest shot was 16 feet, the longest 52, and the average between 25 and 35. For those who don't know me personally, I was a Federal officer with the Fish and Wildlife Service back in the early 90's and trained with a S/W 686 .357 in stainless steel. I've owned two different model 19-3 S/W .357s. The M1905 (later called the M10 after WWII) isn't really that much different, and shooting it is very natural to me. I shot the remains of a partial box of Winchester .38 special, 130 grain FMJ wad cutters. I used a new piece of cardboard backing to see if I missed any - and there were none. I don't know how many rounds I shot, but all hit the target. Considering every shot was double action and I was moving while shooting, I think I still have the 'touch'.

In addition, I scored 179 pieces of 9mm, .40, and .45 brass.

T

Nice, I love quiet days at the range. I generally pick up 20+ lbs of scrap lead on those quiet days

Can't believe I haven't shot for nearly a month. Took the P62 Enfield out to the 50 yard range. Benched I shot 8 rounds of .575 Minie ball. Rifle shoots very high and a little right. I scored three hits, alternating hit/miss after I found out how high it shoots. Frustrating not to hit twice in a row. Going to order some .577 rounds and try again.

T

Can't believe I haven't shot for nearly a month. Took the P62 Enfield out to the 50 yard range. Benched I shot 8 rounds of .575 Minie ball. Rifle shoots very high and a little right. I scored three hits, alternating hit/miss after I found out how high it shoots. Frustrating not to hit twice in a row. Going to order some .577 rounds and try again.

T

Just come a couple clicks left and stop flinching [smile]
Nice....really not bad for a old war horse....that's something you have to really work with to get consistent I'm sure.

Are you using a patch? Maybe a tighter patch on that 575 ball?

Last edited:
Reloads for the 1880 Amberg I.G.71

I couldn't hang out for the Milsurp shoot today as I had to get right back home to watch the kid, but I got to take out the 1880 I.G.71 Amberg to test out 20 reloads made for me by Gunrunner. These are compressed loads; the case is filled with Pyrodex and the cast bullet compressed into the case. Shoots very high; about 3 feet. Next set will need a little bigger bullet - there were a couple of keyholes. Another 4 hits left of the plate and another 4 scattered on the backing, so that makes 7 misses.

T

Tim what size bullet are you using? What are you using for lube?
Also I know it's not the same but Trail Boss powder would most likely produce a nice easy shooting load. Works great with cast bullets. Produces low recoil rounds also.

Those early mauser are 11mm correct?

Last edited:
11.15mm, 60gr pyrodex. He couldn't remember the weight of the bullet; they're about 424gr. I couldn't tell you what lube he uses.

T

Back
Top Bottom