It's been 25 years

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Come May, my first center fire MilSurp (DOT44 K98k) and I have been together 25 years. I don't know why I waited 25 years, but yesterday I finally put a tall front sight in it and took it to the range today. Fired 60 rounds of '53 Yugo ammo, with only one dud. Down to my last nine boxes now, then I break open that "new" 900 round tin of 1999 M75 Yugo sniper ammo. 47F, cold, damp, overcast. Never been a fantastic shooter, bore is tired; I've personally put more than 3,000 rounds out of it. Took a while to work my rounds on target, but I was still off right when I shot the rectangular targets, although my groups were good. I may fit a wider tall Brownell's front sight to it to help L/R, but that will have to wait until after my surgery.

t
IMG_2621.jpeg IMG_2622.jpeg IMG_2623.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice, group looks like it might be trigger discipline? Although I seem to remember you might be a LH shooter.
Tap that front sight about .020ish to the right and the group will center up a bit.

sight adjustment calculator- all in inches
Correction needed X Sight Radius / Distance

ex 3" (L,R,U,D does not matter for the calculation) X Sight Radius will use 22" / distance 3600" (100 yds)
to move your group center 3"X22"=66"/3600"= .0183" so you need to drift the sight around .0183" or so to move the group center 3"

I gave it another push when I finished, but I did order that fatter tall front sight. I am a lefty.

t

Last edited:
I gave it another push when I finished, but I did order that fatter tall front sight. I am a lefty.

t
Is it a square post front sight, I might need to get a square post and a modified rear notch to be able to shoot my mauser with any thing close to accuracy. I cant see the V rear notch but If I make a rear square notch a bit on the larger size I can at least get a little better sight picture

How far out were your targets?

Screwed it up. Difficult to file the bottom to get it to fit the dovetail. Put the other one back on.
I find that sometimes its easier to lay sand paper down on a table, and sand the bottom of the sight to bring the dovetail to size. Keeps things flat. Sometimes the motion of our hands will round the dovetail .

Well, it’s on, but the front sight base is fairly buggered. Will see if it holds when I get the chance to take it to the range and begin to file it down.
t
B5C41581-6E36-4AFA-B1EF-5441430A4C9B.jpeg 5A3A3ECA-B38E-4CC5-9C38-AA9EE5F2C41E.jpeg 4D1CDB4F-ACF7-4569-8A3A-412EF578F80C.jpeg

Seeing how you have an extra, you may want to try this trick:
Take the undersize sight and gentle squeeze the dovetail in a vise. Your goal it to roll some material down towards the base of the sight. This will give you some material to start again and the tip of the dovetail isn't needed.
20200208_173148.jpg

Have a replacement front sight base coming....hope the other comes off...can it be as easy as it looks? If there's a weld I'm screwed....will need professional help.

t
Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 5.31.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom