• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

147g 7.62 NATO bullets VS .30 M2 pulled bullets at 200 yards on 25 yard pistol targets.

MJ1

rGmloPB.jpg

21uns43.jpg

Not world class but not bad for reloads on the fifth go round.

3yjC6HU.jpg

I had 3500 of those 7.62 NATO pulls, IIRC they where General Dynamics. Picked them up years ago for .05 each. They shot awful no matter what I did. I ended up trading them for a few K’s primers back in 2011 ish—-the last big shortage

Why use different loads for them, they're basically the same weight?

Good shooting for that rifle at 200 yards!
Not knowing any load development used I would assume looking for a velocity point?
MJs results with the 147s are better than any thing i pulled off.
Not familiar with target but looks to be maybe 5" bull, so we are talking 2 moa ish for the pulls and sub moa for the rounds on the right excluding the flyer. Although i would have liked to see the same amount of shots on each target.
Still very good for what was used.

I had 3500 of those 7.62 NATO pulls, IIRC they where General Dynamics. Picked them up years ago for .05 each. They shot awful no matter what I did. I ended up trading them for a few K’s primers back in 2011 ish—-the last big shortage

They're ok for 1919 fodder.😆

They're ok for 1919 fodder.😆
Absolutely , thats actually how I got them. I went in on a order with s few guys at the club with giggle switch items.
One guy in the group was a small time ammo manufacture at one point and turned into a personal supplier for some of the MG guys. He also did cast bullet manufacturing into the 90s.

Why use different loads for them, they're basically the same weight?

Good shooting for that rifle at 200 yards!

The point was made after five shots after that you are wasting good rounds for what ?

I spent the rest of the hour shooting small steel plats at 500 yards a much higher value target.

And when in your life did .5g make a differences great as a full .308" VS .3065" made in five shots.

.5g would not make any change in a .44 Special at 21 feet.
u7lBDAp.jpg

21uns43.jpg

I think the greater question is how eating a bag of hot dogs effected the shooting ?

The point was made after five shots after that you are wasting good rounds for what ?

I spent the rest of the hour shooting small steel plats at 500 yards a much higher value target.

And when in your life did .5g make a differences great as a full .308" VS .3065" made in five shots.

.5g would not make any change in a .44 Special at 21 feet.
u7lBDAp.jpg

21uns43.jpg

I think the greater question is how eating a bag of hot dogs effected the shooting ?
I stuffed my face with Tacos one day and could not lay comfortably prone with out putting pressure on my gut and farting continuously.

i get the round count but I just like 10 shot groups for testing. I also would save the ammo for 500 yards if I had access.

.5 grain difference, depends really if im running near max loads which I rarely do
I can get some really inpredictable groups
H 4895 is pretty forgiving in 308 and 30-06 , pretty decent size window before shifts in POA and POI at least inside 300 yards.

I was more curious if you had worked up a different IMR4895 load for each of them separately! That's great shooting for a milsurp semi-auto, even with the junk projos.

With out digging out my log book I went as high as 43.5g of H 4895 on the 147g NATO pills and 43.0g on the M2 FMJ's the spread just got larger and I was driving the shots L&R past the steel plates on chains. The M2 loads were almost all center hits at 300 yards up hill and the 500 yard steel was over 100 + feet above the shooting position. There in is the reason they took down the bunker targets on the hill. some idiots were shooting or bouncing over the hill and landing in the pit area of a driving school or hitting the media camera tower at turn #3. Just takes a few morons to spoil it for everyone.

This was just a month after the 500 yard bunker was removed you can see the repaired impact area in the cleft near the top of the hill and you can still see the 300 yard bunker with the plates and that was remove the next week. We really miss that range and the sound of solid hits on 1 1/2" thick metal 18"X20" plates.

1OJ9ITb.jpg

It's decent rifle at those ranges.

rnjZDjf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom