• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bedside Safe Recommendation

Attachments

• 1690393280206.png
    1690393280206.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 3
Not gonna say who made mine, but it's a quality name in safes that anyone here would recognize instantly. The problem with them is that it appears the quick-open door can be pried open with a medium flat screwdriver... :oops: ... not good at all. I learned this only after buying two of them. Not cheap ones either. Good thing I found out because the plan was for 4 of them. 🙁 Now, the search is on for something mucho better. 🤔

Yes, I am in Maura's and Andrea's Massachusetts where failing to comply with the "safe storage" law is the cop's number one preferred way to screw you up good if/when they feel like it. It can't be ignored. I could carry at home and to bed I suppose, but I'd get tired really quickly of that. Not my style.

Anyone who has watched the Lock-Picking Lawyer on YouTube knows how quickly any of these kinds of devices can be defeated. I wish he would come up with one that he could whole-heartedly endorse. I am still waiting. ;)

Shouldn't a safe used to keep your gun locked by your bed be called an unsafe?

I think you would be better off keeping your gun in your regular safe and just keep a bat or machete at side of your bed. Would be more effective, unless you think you can throw the safe at the perp and crack his skull open. That would actually make for a great story 😁

Last edited:
Do you mean FAS1?
I have two FAS1 safes next to beds. I drilled holes in them and bolted them to the metal bed frame. They are very solid and pry-resistant. A kid won’t get in with a screwdriver. I painted the Simplex buttons with Glow-in-the-Dark paint so I can see them in the dark OK.

kids definitely change the game. now you got to keep it out of sight cause children are curious, no doubt. but i'd also bolt it down so no one can pick it up and wander with it. kids and peer pressure are a lethal combination.

kids definitely change the game. now you got to keep it out of sight cause children are curious, no doubt. but i'd also bolt it down so no one can pick it up and wander with it. kids and peer pressure are a lethal combination.
I totally agree with this regarding younger kids. My daughter is 10 and has been taught the rules of gun safety. All she has to do is ask to see it any of our guns. and we go through the safety protocol together. Next step is getting her to the range with a 22. I firmly believe that reducing the natural curiosity that exists between firearms and kids is key to reducing incidents. This thread is timely: I’m looking for a better method of securing my home defense pistol besides a simple lockbox.

Last edited:
You must live in a higher threat level than I. 😂
I do, it's called being isolated. [smile] A sheriff's deputy response time here is 15 minutes if lucky, unless they happen to be on this end of the county. Not being prepared to mitigate circumstances until then is not an option here. The shotguns are primarily for 4 legged critters, but will suffice for 2 if needed.

When there's nobody around, any isolated place becomes a target of opportunity.

I have this and it works well for my needs

I have this as well. The clock and USB ports on top are nice.

Pick whatever you want and then go to youtube and watch the lock picking lawyer and watch the guy get into the small gun lock box in seconds, no matter what the initial conditions. He figures out flaws in designs and poof he's in. If he knows this then it's pretty much certainty that the criminal class knows this as well.

SAF1 ... Glenn (the guy who owns it) has cancer, I think ... so I don't know how long he'll be selling them, but his quick access safes all use the KABA simplex locks and are extremely well built. I wouldn't trust a biometric safe for this duty ... if you need it, you may be all sweaty from the adrenaline :O Anyway, I upgraded from a GV-1000 to one of the SAF1 models and while they aren't cheap, they are nice and it looks like it will last longer than I will.

CC
I have a FAS1 myself. They are expensive but you get what you pay for! I had to replace the gas piston after about 12 years, maybe more.

Or you can look at this companies offerings to get some other ideas. Handgun Safes and Pistol Safes
Remember to look at the gauge of the metal. The lower the gauge, the thicker the metal, and the larger price tag too!

I have an original Gun Vault, probably 15-20 years old. It uses a small motor to wrap/unwrap a piece of cord that pulls on the latch mechanism. Over the years the cord has frayed and broken twice. I repaired it the first time (I posted thread on that a while ago), but it failed again about 2-3 years ago and I'm not motivated to repair it again. I believe the later model Gun Vault was redesigned, so this failure mode no longer applies. Other than that it's been reliable.

I currently have one of these: Homeuse Slim Design Handgun Safe With Digital Keypad-RPNB RP19003

Regarding battery life, if it's an issue you can buy a cheap UPS, connect a power brick to it, and use that to power the device instead of batteries. That way it will work even during the rare power failure. Or if you prefer, get one with a simplex lock as others suggested.

These types of "safes" are really useless against theft, most can be pried open easily or just ripped off the mount and stolen entirely. I only use one to comply with MGL regarding firearm storage when I'm not home. If you want true security you need to get a very heavy real safe or place one of these small "safes" in a hidden location.

Last edited:
I like that it looks like a clock radio to unknowing liberals, but at $333 each, I'll pass. The problem is that when you want a pistol vault in multiple rooms, the cost starts to add up fast. 🙁
Personal I have it in my living room with my internet and Playstation. Looks more like a cable box than an alarm clock in my opinion.

20230726_202705.jpg

I do, it's called being isolated. [smile] A sheriff's deputy response time here is 15 minutes if lucky, unless they happen to be on this end of the county. Not being prepared to mitigate circumstances until then is not an option here. The shotguns are primarily for 4 legged critters, but will suffice for 2 if needed.

When there's nobody around, any isolated place becomes a target of opportunity.
15 minutes? That’s nuttin. 😂 I still rather be remote.

FAS1 is the way. I have 1. my best friend has 2-3 after he tried mine out. I need to put in an order for a couple more. They are on backorder now. First week of August right now I think. They are awesome. I wouldn’t buy a different handgun safe. These are heavy, secure and reliable.

This was his last email out that I had.

Due to an overwhelming response from customers that want to still order a FAS1 safe, we will be accepting backorders and will continue production as soon as we can get all the components needed back on hand. Everything and all vendors will be the same plus the addition of my good friend Robby Harris coming on board to help oversee everything along with me.

The reason for the date is because our website vendor is retiring our current shopping cart platform at the end of the month and our shopping cart will be down while we migrate to a new platform. Starting on July 1, 2023 you can email me if you want to add you name to a wait list and we will process your order as well until our new shopping cart is up and running.

ETA to start shipping backorders is currently the first week of August. If you have already placed an order and have not received notice that your order has shipped, then it's currently backordered and we will contact you to confirm your order and keep your spot in line.

Also, I would like to take a minute to thank everyone who sent a kind message or prayers for me and my family. It means the world to me!

Thank you for understanding and we'll get you taken care of as soon as possible.

Glenn

What was the company doing hidden storage in book shelves/entertainment furniture?

There were some really cool vids of them in action

I got this and I love it. Looks like a bulky alarm clock so kiddos couldn't care less. Anchored in a stud via cable with 6" screws. Anchor is behind the heavy nightstand. Has a built in wireless charging for my phone. Uses a keypad. I can use my phone to open it too. Opens very fast. Plenty of room inside. Also wife approves.

Not gonna say who made mine, but it's a quality name in safes that anyone here would recognize instantly. The problem with them is that it appears the quick-open door can be pried open with a medium flat screwdriver... :oops: ... not good at all. I learned this only after buying two of them. Not cheap ones either. Good thing I found out because the plan was for 4 of them. 🙁 Now, the search is on for something mucho better. 🤔

Yes, I am in Maura's and Andrea's Massachusetts where failing to comply with the "safe storage" law is the cop's number one preferred way to screw you up good if/when they feel like it. It can't be ignored. I could carry at home and to bed I suppose, but I'd get tired really quickly of that. Not my style.

Anyone who has watched the Lock-Picking Lawyer on YouTube knows how quickly any of these kinds of devices can be defeated. I wish he would come up with one that he could whole-heartedly endorse. I am still waiting. ;)

Pick whatever you want and then go to youtube and watch the lock picking lawyer and watch the guy get into the small gun lock box in seconds, no matter what the initial conditions. He figures out flaws in designs and poof he's in. If he knows this then it's pretty much certainty that the criminal class knows this as well.

I have an original Gun Vault, probably 15-20 years old. It uses a small motor to wrap/unwrap a piece of cord that pulls on the latch mechanism. Over the years the cord has frayed and broken twice. I repaired it the first time (I posted thread on that a while ago), but it failed again about 2-3 years ago and I'm not motivated to repair it again. I believe the later model Gun Vault was redesigned, so this failure mode no longer applies. Other than that it's been reliable.

I currently have one of these: Homeuse Slim Design Handgun Safe With Digital Keypad-RPNB RP19003

Regarding battery life, if it's an issue you can buy a cheap UPS, connect a power brick to it, and use that to power the device instead of batteries. That way it will work even during the rare power failure. Or if you prefer, get one with a simplex lock as others suggested.

These types of "safes" are really useless against theft, most can be pried open easily or just ripped off the mount and stolen entirely. I only use one to comply with MGL regarding firearm storage when I'm not home. If you want true security you need to get a very heavy real safe or place one of these small "safes" in a hidden location.

Is the purpose of the night stand type safe to prevent theft or to maintain compliance/keep kids out?

Pretty much all of the models listed can be broken into w/ simple tools, or yanked off whatever they're bolted to and taken away. If you get a real, heavy duty safe then you'll keep all but the most determined out, but the gun cabinets/small safes can be pried/pounded open easily.

Safes should be the last line of defense against theft, IMO. Before that: 1. Location (neighborhood) 2. Alarm system 3. Cameras 4. Dogs for the pet inclined. If they breach all those, then the safes are there to deter them for a little bit longer. And yes, I know that alarms, cameras & dogs can be overcome but if they're able to get past them they can get past any safe you have.

Is the purpose of the night stand type safe to prevent theft or to maintain compliance/keep kids out?

Pretty much all of the models listed can be broken into w/ simple tools, or yanked off whatever they're bolted to and taken away. If you get a real, heavy duty safe then you'll keep all but the most determined out, but the gun cabinets/small safes can be pried/pounded open easily.
The problem is that most big, heavy, high-security safes... 1) Generally don't end up in the master bedroom, and, 2) Take too much time to open in a real emergency.

At the same time, Maura and Andrea scream "SAFE STORAGE" (it's for the children, after all) and so a nice, loaded handgun sitting on the bedside table or in a nearby unlocked drawer is not legal in MA. We might not care a hoot, but Maura & Andrea's police care a whole bunch. Statistically speaking, it is their number one favorite way to screw legal gun owners.

Therefore, we need a solution and quick-opening pistol vaults seem to be it... they are both legal and reasonably effective with kids. But as you point out, they are not going to prevent any theft since you can fairly easily break into them or even carry them away.

I'm still waiting for the Lock-Picking Lawyer to come up with a pistol vault that makes real security sense. So far, I'm still waiting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom