• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bedside Safe Recommendation

I own two bedside gun vault digital pistol holders that over time I'm beginning to hate. They eat up batteries and there's no battery warning to let you know it won't open when you need it. I need something with better reliability with respect to batteries. No matter how often I check I always end up going to the safe, typing in my pin and it not opening. Dead batteries...

A search brings up a lot of knock off safe companies. Which brands should I stay with and does anyone have a recommendation of what they like? I don't really want a biometric safe but they almost all seem to have that along with the digital number pad.

Looking for something with quick access.

Appreciate any and all responses.

Have you thought about simply unlocking the safe & leaving it that way when you go to bed?

I know someone who’s protocol is when he gets home he unlocks the bedroom gun safe, puts his keys & wallet inside & leaves it unlocked until he takes the wallet & keys out when he’s leaving the house. Maybe not a good idea w small
Kids in the house but otherwise it might be an option.

SAF1 ... Glenn (the guy who owns it) has cancer, I think ... so I don't know how long he'll be selling them, but his quick access safes all use the KABA simplex locks and are extremely well built. I wouldn't trust a biometric safe for this duty ... if you need it, you may be all sweaty from the adrenaline :O Anyway, I upgraded from a GV-1000 to one of the SAF1 models and while they aren't cheap, they are nice and it looks like it will last longer than I will.

CC

I have this and it works well for my needs

I like that it plugs in with backup battery. They knew what they were doing with the time in the pictures. 333$ isn't bad. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Maxsafe?

Maxsafe?

This is actually what I have but gun vault version. It eats through batteries. I have two of them and they both act a little differently. Not in good ways.

I like the idea of no batteries. I have two small gun vault combination lock boxes but that won't work in the dark.

Simplex lock seems to be the right answer.

There just seems to be so many brands and I'm not sure what is what. I will look into the vaultec.

SAF1 ... Glenn (the guy who owns it) has cancer, I think ... so I don't know how long he'll be selling them, but his quick access safes all use the KABA simplex locks and are extremely well built. I wouldn't trust a biometric safe for this duty ... if you need it, you may be all sweaty from the adrenaline :O Anyway, I upgraded from a GV-1000 to one of the SAF1 models and while they aren't cheap, they are nice and it looks like it will last longer than I will.

CC
Do you mean FAS1?

VaultTek.

Mine has an app and Bluetooth so you can monitor battery life and I’m pretty sure you can leave it plugged in (I don’t).

I like that it plugs in with backup battery. They knew what they were doing with the time in the pictures. 333$ isn't bad. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
I like that it looks like a clock radio to unknowing liberals, but at $333 each, I'll pass. The problem is that when you want a pistol vault in multiple rooms, the cost starts to add up fast. 🙁

I like the idea of no batteries. I have two small gun vault combination lock boxes but that won't work in the dark.

Simplex lock seems to be the right answer.

There just seems to be so many brands and I'm not sure what is what. I will look into the vaultec.

If you are expecting to maybe have to use the gun at night, post #2 is the answer.

Have tou ever tried opening your gun safe the second you randomly wake up in the middle of the night? ... keys s*ck because it might be hard when your brain is not working, combinations s*ck for the same reason and electronic fingerprint readers s*ck because anything electronic s*cks and has a high probability of failure.

If you are expecting to maybe have to use the gun at night, post #2 is the answer.

Have tou ever tried opening your gun safe the second you randomly wake up in the middle of the night? ... keys s*ck because it might be hard when your brain is not working, combinations s*ck for the same reason and electronic fingerprint readers s*ck because anything electronic s*cks and has a high probability of failure.
I have kids in the house and stuff..... plus, the firearm wouldn't be under my direct control..... LOL

I have kids in the house and stuff..... plus, the firearm wouldn't be under my direct control..... LOL

I get the kids in the house argument. If you have the safe on your night stand/bedroom closet, etc. wouldn't you be able to unlock the safe before you go to bed & lock it in the morning when you get up? Makes things really simple.

I get the kids in the house argument. If you have the safe on your night stand/bedroom closet, etc. wouldn't you be able to unlock the safe before you go to bed & lock it in the morning when you get up? Makes things really simple.
Theoretically I could. But, I'll just deal with a Simplex lock situation. This seems to be the best approach for my situation at the moment.

I have Vaultek quick access slider safes and they work excellent (nightstand and vanity). Powered by a rechargeable 18650 powerful battery or leave it plugged in (comes with 2 keys to open in case you run battery dead). It will let you know when it needs recharging, for me approx every 2-3 months @ 3 hours charge. Deploys fast and smooth by keypad. Foam mold inside holds my gun secure upright plus an extra mag.

Keypad has a proximity sensor so when you place your hand above the numbers they light up red. At the same time the interior light turns on so after I enter my code and it pops open, the night sights on my Sig 226 Legion are glowing when I take it out.

I picked them up at Costco and it was cheaper than any other retailer. I have a regular safe in my truck also. Definitely recommend!

Edit: looked up the model. Vaultek SE20 full size slider safe and VE10 safe. Both operate by rechargeable 18650 battery.

Back
Top Bottom