• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OWB Holster Recommendation?

Looking for a good concealble OWB holster, not a duty style holster. Any recommendations would be appreaciated.
Also, any preferance on paddle vs. belt loops?

Thanks!

I am a big fan of the DeSantis "Speed Scabbard." It is a pancake-style OWB that is boned for particular pistols. Comfortable enough to wear all day and works well for deliberate draw. Has a thumb brake option, which I do not select. I have a bunch of these for different pistols.

My most recent is an Urban Carry black Lockileather OWB for a Springfield Hellcat. I have a good number of holsters but mostly IWB. One thing you'll also want is a good belt if you don't already have one. I like Kore essentials and have a few.

OWB Im a leather guy. 1791 Gunleather BH in the correct size/gun and a Kore Essentials belt.

Reasonable priced, thick, quality leather.

I've gone to the Garrett leather lined kydex STX-2 model for all my OWB holsters. You won't find a more comfortable holster that hugs the body for great concealment. Mine are just in the basic black with the 1.5" belt loops. Don't let the looks of the belt loops dissuade you. Great people over there at Garrett too and real easy to talk to if you want to call them. They're in Texas.
Silent Thunder STX 2.0 (OWB)

pistol, right, no preferance on the material or cant
Are you trying to conceal under a t-shirt? hoodie? jacket? parka?

Like, I've been happy enough with my Safariland holsters - they're sturdy, have adjustable retention, and provide good access to the grip - but wearing them under anything lighter than a soft shell or flannel jacket is hardly "concealed."

For just a hoodie, I'd go with something more like a pancake.

If you don't have a preference WRT cant - have you tried wearing OWB yet? Do you know where you want it? 3, 4, 5 o'clock all feel different, and may call for differences in angle...

Mitch Rosen 5JR Express. leather pancake holster, very well made in Manchester NH. everyone i have ordered has gotten to me within about a week.

In general my philosophy has been: Leather DeSantis for revolvers, the leather blends in with the wheel very nicely and the fit is snug; Kydex Vedder paddle holsters for Polymer striker-fired pistols with lights, the materials mesh well together and the positive feedback click when the pistol is holstered is helpful and comforting; Leather DeSantis for steel-framed pistols, I want a lot of thick material on the steel-frame, unless it’s a subcompact, then kydex is acceptable but not ideal.

IWB carry with various materials and holsters for everything else unless it’s a competition-sized pistol or magnum-sized pistol.

I've been happy enough with my Safariland 578 GLS holster. Very secure. Handles HK VP9 and S&W MP9 and others.
Don't forget a good gun belt!!!

Are you trying to conceal under a t-shirt? hoodie? jacket? parka?

Like, I've been happy enough with my Safariland holsters - they're sturdy, have adjustable retention, and provide good access to the grip - but wearing them under anything lighter than a soft shell or flannel jacket is hardly "concealed."

For just a hoodie, I'd go with something more like a pancake.

If you don't have a preference WRT cant - have you tried wearing OWB yet? Do you know where you want it? 3, 4, 5 o'clock all feel different, and may call for differences in angle...
I also wear a Safariland but only when wearing suits. I like it, and I have had no issues so far. The ALS models come with a paddle and a belt loop so you can experiment to see which suits you. It is not the most concealable thing in the world though, but that isn't a primary concern of mine. I carry a G17 MOS. Whenever possible, I wear my We The People IWB holster. I wear both at 3:00.

I also wear a Safariland but only when wearing suits. I like it, and I have had no issues so far. The ALS models come with a paddle and a belt loop so you can experiment to see which suits you. It is not the most concealable thing in the world though, but that isn't a primary concern of mine. I carry a G17 MOS. Whenever possible, I wear my We The People IWB holster. I wear both at 3:00.
yeah, I have a couple 5198s and an ALS or two, all mounted on the RTS hangers so I can switch them quickly onto my belt. The belt loop and paddle are a great way to get a feel for what you do and don't like.

I'm almost always wearing my T1C Axis Elite, though. I'm really not good at carrying on my hip.

Really love the hidden hybrid for OWB. I’ve removed the clips and use it only as outside for the CZ.

IMG_1458.png

Im a big fan of tenicors holsters. Perfect amount of tension thats also adjustable. Solid options for light and non light bearing. Minimal hardware.

20231206_114937.jpg

I've been very happy with my Wright Leather Works Cobra Hybrid for my P229. Use it OWB in the cooler weather and IWB when it's warmer. I have it with the Master Collection upgrade.

Mitch Rosen 5JR Express. leather pancake holster, very well made in Manchester NH. everyone i have ordered has gotten to me within about a week.

Order an Express Line belt while you're at it. I have a second one brand new but the original has held up so well I haven't used it.

Back
Top Bottom