bedroom closet for locked gun storage

Case law states that a locked room does not constitute a locked container. It was just reinforced in this months Legal Updates, during in service. Unfortunately once you finish the course, you cant reopen the material. Oh, and I scored a 100 on my test [smile]

What really bother me about that supposed case law is that in most cases a well built, locked closet is actually much more secure than most of the crappy Stack-On locking "gun cabinets" as well as putting a padlock on a plastic, or fabric gun case. How can those be deemed to meet storage requirements if an internal closet with a lock, or deadbolt does not?[hmmm]

Case law states that a locked room does not constitute a locked container. It was just reinforced in this months Legal Updates, during in service. Unfortunately once you finish the course, you cant reopen the material. Oh, and I scored a 100 on my test [smile]

What test and who is the authority stating this? They are morons who are completely over reading the parzyck case and if this is a LEO continuing ed course, this explains why so many of them will arrest on stupid crap like this.

For the record, the problem with the parzyck case was the lock on the door, not the room itself.

Recently a district court (i.e. no precedental value) dismissed storage charges against someone storing rifles in a closet. In this case, the guns were not operational (I believe the defendant had removed the bolts or firing pins) and therefore didn't not meet the statutory definition of rifle or shotgun.

No! This is not why it was dismissed. It was dismissed on procedural grounds based on the inability for the PD to prove the guns were fireable because they gave the guns to a BW... [grin]

His storage was a bedroom with a MUCH better lock than parzyck and security windows. We would have argued they were stored properly but alas, we never got the chance.

What really bother me about that supposed case law is that in most cases a well built, locked closet is actually much more secure than most of the crappy Stack-On locking "gun cabinets" as well as putting a padlock on a plastic, or fabric gun case. How can those be deemed to meet storage requirements if an internal closet with a lock, or deadbolt does not?[hmmm]

A trigger lock I can remove in 10 seconds with a small flat head screwdriver counts as an adequate lock...

Back
Top Bottom