bass pro shop sells you guns but doesnt like you carrying in their store

The Boston Garden, the Bank or where ever else someone WITH NO LEGAL AUTHORITY tells me I can't.

If they tell you they don't allow people to carry on their property, and you do anyway, then you're breaking the law.

I guess the whole idea of approaching someone about it,then going to someone else,threw me for a loop.

I would have just made a 180 and left before I tried to justify anything to an retail employee.[smile]

I wouldn't have said anything to begin with.

It's not jailtime or fines; it's the threat of suitability denial that does it. People in Mass are scared of their own freakin' shadows.

Just tonight, I've posted in threads here where people were asking if it was legal in Mass to make their own 10-round mags, or to own a handgun with a laser or flashlight.

Adding to that are the idiots that will openly post/ask in an open forum whether something somebody is selling (or has) is legal, and we have a climate of fear.

That, or the questions about carrying in a post office, or the human shaped targets, or open carry, or what to say when pulled over, or any other bunch of hooey.

Back on topic, I found it odd that they asked you to put on a trigger lock, then said never mind.

Also, about "Patriots Place"; is this a store or a mall or something at Gillette Stadium? Not quite catching the full picture here.

Last edited:
If they tell you they don't allow people to carry on their property, and you do anyway, then you're breaking the law.

I respectfully disagree. I am breaking their policy, not the law. I would only be breaking the law if they catch me and ask me to leave and I refuse OR if I return at which point I would be trespassing.

If I ask you to take off your shoes before you come in my house and you don't, have you broken the law? You have not, until I ask you to leave and you do not then I can call the police and have you arrested.

Last edited:

Not here. If they find out you're carrying, ask you to leave, and you refuse - then you're trespassing, and that's breaking the law. But disobeying a sign is not breaking the law unless they catch you.

ETA: MXD beat me too it.

What law? Trespassing?

In the case of a sign, good luck proving that the accused was "informed" that this wasn't allowed. "Sign, what sign? I didn't see any sign. "

A trespassing charge might withstand better scrutiny, if, for example, the person evaded screening, and was proven to "know" up front that the property owner didn't allow/want guns on the premises, but even that might be a stretch.

Trespass law in cases where a premises is open to the public, is going to be a pretty tough road for the prosecution. It generally takes a lot of specific
circumstances to satisfy a trespassing charge. This is why antis worked binding signage in, in some of the new CCW states. They wanted a means of
kicking gun owners in the groin that actually had teeth. For the purpose of the antis, trespass standard wasn't good enough for them. (The bar is WAY higher for trespassing. How many people do you know who got arrested for trespassing in a public place? You can be, but it's generally pretty hard to
do. )

-Mike

Last edited:
What law? Trespassing?

In the case of a sign, good luck proving that the accused was "informed" that this wasn't allowed.

A trespassing charge might withstand better scrutiny, if, for example, the person evaded screening, and was proven to "know" up front that the property owner didn't allow/want guns on the premises, but even that might be a stretch.

-Mike

Even then, a "no guns allowed" sign does not equal trespassing. Only a no trespassing sign or a refusal to exit the property when asked to do so would hold up as trespassing.

Even then, a "no guns allowed" sign does not equal trespassing. Only a no trespassing sign or a refusal to exit the property when asked to do so would hold up as trespassing.

Yes, this is the point I am trying to make... [grin]

-Mike

Ohhhhh, I missed that. I thought you were saying the no guns allowed sign = trespassing is possible although very very hard to prove.

Don't forget the whole curve ball where they employee said basically "Ignore that sign.".

Vellnueve stated if they tell you, not if they post it on the sign.

It still makes no difference until they tell you leave and you do not. They can even tell you leave and if you do you still aren't in any legal trouble

BPS: Hello, 911?

911: Yes, what's your emergency?

BPS: We had a gentlemen on the property who did not obey our store policy and we asked him to leave

911: Ok, where is he now?

BPS: He left

911: (silence)

BPS: Hello?

911: (click....tone)

You've got the wrong number. This is 912.

347511349e.jpg

It still makes no difference until they tell you leave and you do not. They can even tell you leave and if you do you still aren't in any legal trouble

911: Yes, what's your emergency?

BPS: We had a gentlemen on the property who did not obey our store policy and we asked him to leave

911: Ok, where is he now?

BPS: He left

911: (silence)

BPS: Hello?

911: (click....tone)

BPS: Sir, we have a "no guns" policy here.

ME: (with three guns on me): Fantastic. Do you have any of the big bags of Berkeley Pumpkinseed Power Worms?

BPS: Right over here Sir. We just got them in.

ME: Thanks.

I love dry humor!

I also never miss a "Goodfellas" reference

"Never rat on your friends, and always keep your mouth shut."

Coutesy of CRSIII

"One dog lookin one way, one dog lookin the other way and this guy saying I donno, whadda want from me?"

Last edited:
So? They still have to ask you to leave, otherwise you're not breaking a law.

I do not know enough about it to comment - Just pointing it out because all of the responses addressed signage. However, before entrance, what if an employee stated:

"Sir, if you are carrying a weapon, you have NO right to enter this store."

I would have to think it would constitute criminal trespassing if you entered regardless. I could certainly be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom