bass pro shop sells you guns but doesnt like you carrying in their store

Me my buddy and his girlfriend wen to patriots place yesterday to do a little light shopping and a bite to eat. We both carry pretty religiously and he noticed upon entry of bass pro shop there was a sign that said " please check all firearms before entry" so before we went back to the car we walked over to customer service and inquired about the sign. They told us to go over to the guy at the turn style, so we did and inquired again about the sign. He asked us if they were concealed, we said yes he then just asked for our licenses and let us enter. I didn't think this was too weird being a store with a gun department until i noticed that none of there ammo was locked or behind a counter. so they will sell you a gun and have security weak enough that a 5 year old could pocket loose ammo but want you to leave your firearm home? Just thought it was weird.

Me my buddy and his girlfriend wen to patriots place yesterday to do a little light shopping and a bite to eat. We both carry pretty religiously and he noticed upon entry of bass pro shop there was a sign that said " please check all firearms before entry" so before we went back to the car we walked over to customer service and inquired about the sign. They told us to go over to the guy at the turn style, so we did and inquired again about the sign. He asked us if they were concealed, we said yes he then just asked for our licenses and let us enter. I didn't think this was too weird being a store with a gun department until i noticed that none of there ammo was locked or behind a counter. so they will sell you a gun and have security weak enough that a 5 year old could pocket loose ammo but want you to leave your firearm home? Just thought it was weird.
I think it was determined earlier that the sign actually referenced guns other than carry guns.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I didn't think this was too weird being a store with a gun department until i noticed that none of there ammo was locked or behind a counter. so they will sell you a gun and have security weak enough that a 5 year old could pocket loose ammo but want you to leave your firearm home? Just thought it was weird.

This is the way stores in most states stock their ammo.

I think it was determined earlier that the sign actually referenced guns other than carry guns.

Respectfully,
jkelly

That's what the sign is for. If a customer is returning a gun purchased there or dropping off a repair, they want it to go to a specific counter.
It has nothing to do with you carrying your own personal firearm.
It doesn't help that the sign is on this huge walk-through metal detector looking thing to confuse people.
When they first opened, I did the same thing. I hesitated at the big metal detector looking thing and asked why I had to check my firearm. The guy saw that I was empty handed and looked confused. After I quietly informed him that I was legally carrying a concealed hand gun, he sort of laughed it off and told me the intended purpose of the sign and that nothing would be set off when I walked through the gate.

Last edited:
Cabelas has the same sign here in CT..but they added an exemption to the sign for those with permits carrying...I have never seen ammo locked up except walmart...

This is how freaking rumors get their start.

Neither Bass Pro, nor Cabelas, nor Gander Mountain ban CCW at their stores. They simply ask that if you come in with a firearm for repair or modification that you check in with the customer service desk. Presumably to make sure it isn't loaded since it is going to be handled around in THEIR store.

God knows fudds have left all kinds of firearms loaded after the season......

This is how freaking rumors get their start.

Neither Bass Pro, nor Cabelas, nor Gander Mountain ban CCW at their stores. They simply ask that if you come in with a firearm for repair or modification that you check in with the customer service desk. Presumably to make sure it isn't loaded since it is going to be handled around in THEIR store.

God knows fudds have left all kinds of firearms loaded after the season......

Well its not really a rumor. I'm the second character in this story. I saw the sign and being that it is extremely vague I, we, both found it very curious.
The sign clearly says

"ALL FIREARMS AND BOWS MUST BE CHECKED WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE BEFORE ENTERING."

No rumor milling being done here, we were both just kind of confused by the sign and did what we both thought was the right thing by atleast asking before ASSUMING. Its a private business and had the sign meant what we thought it said then we would have respectfully followed their rules.

Clearly Bass Pro doesn't even know their own policies because the first guy I approached I asked him the following.

ME- "Excuse me sir I noticed the sign (pointing right at it) regarding firearms?"
BP associate- Yes?
ME- well we are both carrying personal handguns with the appropriate licensing, and just want to make sure there aren't any issues.
BPA- You guys have LTCs?
ME- Yes.
BPA- what are you carrying
ME- Our personal handguns
BPA- oh well you need to go get trigger locks on them to carry in our store.

The gentleman he sent us over to merely asked to see our permits and said no problem enjoy your visit to our store. So both of us were not upset, or dumb but merely just kind of confused. Nothing more....

Last edited:
When I worked there part time...we were all told when we started that it was only for guns coming in for repair. I don't know who's working there now as I haven't worked in the store for over a year. But you only had to check guns that you were bringing in for work...as Jose stated above.

And, I can tell you that people do bring in loaded guns to get worked on. I have been called up on more than one occasion to clear a gun that was in for something...and it was loaded.

Bass Pro does have discharge chambers for clearing that will stop almost anything people would bring into the store.

When I worked there part time...we were all told when we started that it was only for guns coming in for repair. I don't know who's working there now as I haven't worked in the store for over a year. But you only had to check guns that you were bringing in for work...as Jose stated above.

And, I can tell you that people do bring in loaded guns to get worked on. I have been called up on more than one occasion to clear a gun that was in for something...and it was loaded.

Bass Pro does have discharge chambers for clearing that will stop almost anything people would bring into the store.

It makes sense now, the sign could be a little less vague though, that would be nice. [smile]

One weird thing at Bass Pro at Patriots place is on game days all the ammo cages are locked, I chased down a employee and he said it was required by the police chief, mumbled something about alcoholic beverages being sold and fans coming in during after games.

I think a better title for the thread is,
"Bass Pro sells you guns, but their employees don't know the policies of their store"

The Bass Pro in Cinci and the Gander north of Dayton both have language on their signs that specifically excludes those carrying handguns under a license from the check in requirement.

The Bass Pro in Cinci and the Gander north of Dayton both have language on their signs that specifically excludes those carrying handguns under a license from the check in requirement.

I didn't notice that, but that doesnt mean it wasn't there, however im guessing here in MA they wouldnt put that on a sign so as to not freak out the sheeple of MA. [laugh]

One weird thing at Bass Pro at Patriots place is on game days all the ammo cages are locked, I chased down a employee and he said it was required by the police chief, mumbled something about alcoholic beverages being sold and fans coming in during after games.

That was true, the chief would even come in to make sure that they were locked. It was the same for any major event. Country Fest, Concerts, the Lacrosse Nationals... If there was a lot of tailgating...they were locked.

I think a better title for the thread is,
"Bass Pro sells you guns, but their employees don't know the policies of their store"

Yes, it wasn't like that when we first opened...everyone was pretty informed. But they got rid of the position of Manager of Loss Prevention. He had meetings a few times a week...and he would go over those things. That position was dissolved before I left, and like I said...that was about a year ago. So, I'm sure that people aren't as informed as they once were.

In MA. carry is prohibited in schools Fed buildings, etc. If you enter other property, Store resturaunt etc, and there IS a sign prohibiting firearms. The store can Demand/Ask you to leave. Thats about it. if you refuse or return armed, it becomes a trespass. Why would anyone disclose they are carrying? Kida defeates CCW...

Clearly Bass Pro doesn't even know their own policies because the first guy I approached I asked him the following.

ME- "Excuse me sir I noticed the sign (pointing right at it) regarding firearms?"
BP associate- Yes?
ME- well we are both carrying personal handguns with the appropriate licensing, and just want to make sure there aren't any issues.
BPA- You guys have LTCs?
ME- Yes.
BPA- what are you carrying
ME- Our personal handguns
BPA- oh well you need to go get trigger locks on them to carry in our store.

The gentleman he sent us over to merely asked to see our permits and said no problem enjoy your visit to our store. So both of us were not upset, or dumb but merely just kind of confused. Nothing more....

Are you serious,you actually went and asked someone about carrying,then seen someone else and showed them your license ?

Why in the world would you do such a thing ?

Are you serious,you actually went and asked someone about carrying,then seen someone else and showed them your license ?

Why in the world would you do such a thing ?

The curse of the ... "law abiding". Common sense so often goes out the window. You might as well ask why someone would lock up their gun when they go to bed at night.

Conditioning. That's what it is.

The curse of the ... "law abiding". Common sense so often goes out the window. You might as well ask why someone would lock up their gun when they go to bed at night.

Conditioning. That's what it is.

Gringo,I can understand people covering their bases regarding the various insane laws we have here,and I never begrudge someone for doing so..

But to get all antsy about a store policy,which if broken,is not against any laws and will land you no fines or jailtime..seems strange to me.

Gringo,I can understand people covering their bases regarding the various insane laws we have here,and I never begrudge someone for doing so..

But to get all antsy about a store policy,which if broken,is not against any laws and will land you no fines or jailtime..seems strange to me.

Two links in the same chain. It's a mindset of obedience. That's all I'm sayin'.

That seems a little insane..Why don't they challenge the Chief?? Is it against the law to handle/purchase ammo after drinking??

It's not jailtime or fines; it's the threat of suitability denial that does it. People in Mass are scared of their own freakin' shadows.

Just tonight, I've posted in threads here where people were asking if it was legal in Mass to make their own 10-round mags, or to own a handgun with a laser or flashlight.

Adding to that are the idiots that will openly post/ask in an open forum whether something somebody is selling (or has) is legal, and we have a climate of fear.

It's not jailtime or fines; it's the threat of suitability denial that does it. People in Mass are scared of their own freakin' shadows.

Just tonight, I've posted in threads here where people were asking if it was legal in Mass to make their own 10-round mags, or to own a handgun with a laser or flashlight.

Adding to that are the idiots that will openly post/ask in an open forum whether something somebody is selling (or has) is legal, and we have a climate of fear.

I guess the whole idea of approaching someone about it,then going to someone else,threw me for a loop.

I would have just made a 180 and left before I tried to justify anything to an retail employee.[smile]

A lot of people don't know that a store policy is not a law and it does not become a criminal/legal issue until you are caught and refuse to leave or you re-enter. I assume the OP did not know this as well there fore I can understand his thought process.

I ignore policy signs all the time. If it's not a law and you didn't know I did it.....then I didn't! I do not carry where prohibited by law but to me, every where else is legal. The Boston Garden, the Bank or where ever else someone WITH NO LEGAL AUTHORITY tells me I can't.

Back
Top Bottom