bass pro shop sells you guns but doesnt like you carrying in their store

I do not know enough about it to comment - Just pointing it out because all of the responses addressed signage. However, before entrance, what if an employee stated:

"Sir, if you are carrying a weapon, you have NO right to enter this store."

I would have to think it would constitute criminal trespassing if you entered regardless. I could certainly be wrong.

And how are they going to know if you are carrying CONCEALED?

Do you think that BP is going to install whole body scanners at the door?

Really, this discussion is ridiculous beyond words.

If one is really that nervous about being arrested for CCW (stress on the "CONCEALED" part), then I suggest that they do NOT carry concealed anywhere!

----------------------

I'm sorry to confuse this saga with facts, but back when the store first opened, one of the employees (NES Member) verified that the sign ONLY referred to guns being brought in for service, NOT for CCW.

If one still feels compelled to ID themselves as a "concealed carry" person and request permission to enter every time they enter a store or shopping mall, I strongly suggest that they should not carry, but leave their guns locked up at home, safe and sound . . . so they can rest easy and not worry about being arrested. For the non-paranoid, carry-on, life as usual.

If one is really that nervous about being arrested for CCW (stress on the "CONCEALED" part), then I suggest that they do NOT carry concealed anywhere!

Who's nervous about being arrested for CCW? I'm sure not, and I don't believe I ever implied that I was. In fact, I've never seen a "no weapons" sign in my life. Perhaps my example wasn't ridiculous enough....

I thought Vellnueve was trying to raise the issue that signage is different than verbal notification from an employee.

Again, I do not know the answer, was just making an assumption as I am certain Vellnueve is aware of the signage laws which have been discussed here numerous times.

Regarding the OP, that was cleared in the first few posts.

Are you serious,you actually went and asked someone about carrying,then seen someone else and showed them your license ?

Why in the world would you do such a thing ?

In a way it's called being polite. I saw a sign that I thought applied to me and just covered my bases nothing more. It's like when you go to someones house and they ask you to remove your shoes, do you tell them to eff off if you don't like it? No you follow their rules. In effect its the same thing. Your in someone elses "house" just be kind enough to play along.

I'm not gonna be a dick about things if I don't like someones policy but if I see something that may apply to me I'm going to be thorough about it, thats all. I don't see what the problem is here? It's not like I pulled out my gun and said hey mister can I have this in here?

Last edited:

----------------------

I'm sorry to confuse this saga with facts, but back when the store first opened, one of the employees (NES Member) verified that the sign ONLY referred to guns being brought in for service, NOT for CCW.

If one still feels compelled to ID themselves as a "concealed carry" person and request permission to enter every time they enter a store or shopping mall, I strongly suggest that they should not carry, but leave their guns locked up at home, safe and sound . . . so they can rest easy and not worry about being arrested. For the non-paranoid, carry-on, life as usual.

It has nothing to do with paranoia, and I was unaware that someone here on the forum both worked there and clarified the signage. I didn't freak when I saw the sign I just made a judgement call. [rolleyes] It's funny how on this forum if you do what you "think" is the right thing people still have a way of making you feel like a complete dickbag, thanks for that! I'm fairly new to carrying and don't even pretend to know what ALL the laws are so I tred lightly, not out of paranoia but just because I don't want to eff up what I have. You can call it paranoia or whatever you so choose......

Last edited:
It has nothing to do with paranoia, and I was unaware that someone here on the forum both worked there and clarified the signage. I didn't freak when I saw the sign I just made a judgement call. [rolleyes] It's funny how on this forum if you do what you "think" is the right thing people still have a way of making you feel like a complete dickbag, thanks for that! I'm fairly new to carrying and don't even pretend to know what ALL the laws are so I tred lightly, not out of paranoia but just because I don't want to eff up what I have. You can call it paranoia or whatever you so choose......

I find these postings helpful - I would probably have the same questions so it's nice to know 1) I'm not the only one 2) I learn something new.

Not picking on anyone in particular (nor was I in prior post) . . .

There is a world of difference between entering someone's house and being asked to remove your shoes and REVEALING that you are carrying CONCEALED! They may be concerned with you slopping up their house with snow, salt, mud, etc. in the former case (or it could be religious/cultural . . . this was asked of me one time when I visited the home of a Japanese professor). In the latter case, it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS what I have in my pocket, on my belt, on my ankle, etc. and I will not be damaging their facility by entering carrying whatever I may have on me.

It's called "concealed" for a reason. What they don't know won't hurt either of you . . . providing that you KNOW MGLs that signage in retail establishments has no legal meaning in MA. As long as I don't create a public disturbance in the store, nobody is going to ask me to leave or care what I may have on me.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but when I enter a store/mall, I don't spend 5-10 minutes searching for and reading all their little print signage at the entrance. At BP, the sign is in dark brass, in a darkened entry-way. I suppose some may do this, but yes, I call them paranoid. If someone really wants me to read a sign, they need to put it in large font in a well-lit area where I will not be blocking other people from entering as I stand there and read it.

This whole thing makes me laugh....was in Bass Pro last week CC my G27. Didn't even notice the sign...even if I did I would have assumed it was for people selling/trading guns anyway. There's no legal reason to let anyone know you are CCing in any retail or mall establishment....what are they gonna do....kick you out for violating store policy? Just because they have a sign doesn't make it a law. Go ahead kick me out, I'll never do business with you again and I'll pass the word along......

Six pages of sillyness I just added to....

Last edited:
I was just in BP a few hours ago. I know that the sign is there, but I never even glanced at it as I entered the store and that is how I enter most stores . . . I'm not there to read their signs. [There was a large ladder blocking the right side of the entry to the store that had my attention, but even if I wasn't looking in that direction, I would still walk by any signs and ignore them as a matter of habit.] And as a matter of fact, I was looking for GPK to ask him to pop in here and put this to bed . . . until someone else raises it as a major concern, however he wasn't visibly present in the store.

Back
Top Bottom