Bass Pro service

[crying] I have bought most my guns there. I see the way most people act while there, most get what they deserve, the world owes you nothing. Too much complaining, I watched the fishing site go downhill from the same thing.

I've never bought guns there, but I've gone there to browse when I have time to kill. More than once I've heard the gun counter guys give unbelievably bad advice to new shooters looking at their first firearm. They don't know better than to shop at a chain, so they're getting ripped on price and then slammed with crap info on top. [sad2]

My wife works at the customer service desk at the front. You wouldn't believe the shit she puts up with from customers. She's had people try to return shit 5 yrs old, saying they bought it last week. She's had people throw crap at her, swear at her, and generally be rude. If you come to the desk acting like a dick, you'll get treated as you deserve.

Sure, it's a big chain store, so they have their policies. Some of the department staff are good, some aren't. Don't like it, too bad.. shop somewhere else.. Remember, they want you coming back and spending money, so if they can make you happy, great.

That being said, if you truly have a problem, and need something that the customer service desk can help you with, ask nicely and cut them some slack. People are quick to be rude to retail workers when they don't get their way. Remember, that's somebody's mom, dad, sis, brother, etc.

My experience with BPS customer service has been pretty good. Everyone is usually super friendly and on point. However, sometimes they can get overwhelmed and be a bit cranky. A bad customer causes the next guy to get crap service and it spirals.

I only go when it's quiet now. No problems and no crowds.

What does a store's method of serving people in the order they arrive have to do with MA being an effed up state? Oh, right, NOTHING.

- - - Updated - - -

2 things:

1. Put a space after each period. That was painful to read.

2. I would've given up when they said they couldn't find it, and either gotten it online or gone elsewhere

I know the penmanship was bad but I don't usually type that many words.I'm a carpenter that should have stayed in school.Sorry about the read.

Serving people in the order they arrive is usually a good idea.When you have bunch of people in front of you buying guns it doesn't work well.They should have one employee back ther dealing with the in and out sale of non- firearm goods.

Serving people in the order they arrive is usually a good idea.When you have bunch of people in front of you buying guns it doesn't work well.They should have one employee back ther dealing with the in and out sale of non- firearm goods.

I totally agree, if you're prioritizing on serving max number of customers. It's a little more complicated since it would require two sets of #'s and people not lying about what service they are looking for. Also, someone waiting in line for an hour for a gun sale would not take kindly to another customer that just showed up getting service before him, even if it's for an optic.

I know the penmanship was bad but I don't usually type that many words.I'm a carpenter that should have stayed in school.Sorry about the read.

And I should have been more fair considering it was a rant: a good rant needs to be a stream of consciousness as opposed to a perfectly crafted editorial.

I totally agree, if you're prioritizing on serving max number of customers. It's a little more complicated since it would require two sets of #'s and people not lying about what service they are looking for. Also, someone waiting in line for an hour for a gun sale would not take kindly to another customer that just showed up getting service before him, even if it's for an optic.

On that we disagree.A gun sale seems to take at least 15 minutes from what I was seeing. Scope purchase would/should be less than 5.

On that we disagree.A gun sale seems to take at least 15 minutes from what I was seeing. Scope purchase would/should be less than 5.

Matters not to the guy waiting there for an hour before you showed up. Now instead of being next in line to buy his gun, he has to wait for you to buy your scope and anyone else that shows up looking for scope or whatever else. Does that really seem fair to you?

Matters not to the guy waiting there for an hour before you showed up. Now instead of being next in line to buy his gun, he has to wait for you to buy your scope and anyone else that shows up looking for scope or whatever else. Does that really seem fair to you?

Why not have numbers for people gun shopping and an express line for all else? FS does something like that.

Why not have numbers for people gun shopping and an express line for all else? FS does something like that.

because big box shops like BPS net relatively little on firearms sales. they make most of their $$ selling twizzlers and fuddy clothes. if they had to sell firearms alone they would fold. they likely keep the firearms to bring in clientele to sell other shit (again, twizzlers and fuddy clothes).

this gets back to my general philosophy of purchasing goods at a retailer that actually makes their living on such goods. BPS doesn't make their living selling optics or firearms, and consequently they don't handle these sales well.

He informed me they did have 2 in store. The display model and one that was damaged in shipment.

Once again, (possibly) well-designed systems are defeated by the human factor.

The reorder point for that printer is probably one unit, maybe zero. So the store shows two (unsaleable) units in stock, no new inventory is ordered and sales for that product are maintained at zero.

To fix this, someone would have to get off their butt and intervene. Fill out the paperwork and return the damaged unit or manually adjust the inventory to write it off, reducing store profits and the store manager's incentive bonus.

People have to actually give a sh!t for things to work as designed.

Last edited:
I could write a friggin' book about inventory. In my penultimate corporate job the CEO loved the year-end inventory write-up as it created a boost to earnings and to the bonus pool. No matter how I tried to explain to him this was a BAD thing as it was a result of increasing standard costs for the sh!t in the warehouse, he did not care. He'd come to love that year end earnings boost even though it was a symptom of a gradually failing business.

Last corporate job, similar problem. Warehouses full of obsolete and unusable raw materials that corporate refused to write off because of the resulting hit to earnings. The company was gradually becoming a storage operation for junk material - a process I call inventory creep. One warehouse was so bad they had pallet rack in rows three bays deep, with the material in the middle (center) bay completely walled-off and inaccessible.

I bought my Aimpoint PRO from Shooters Outpost about a year and a half ago. $399, no tax and I walked out the door with it. Online, check out SWFA for great selection and good prices on firearm optics and accessories.

By the way, remember: your time is worth something. You spent hours waiting and on the phone to buy a product. Then you spent more time complaining about it online. Whatever you end up paying for the Aimpoint, figure in an extra couple hundred dollars in lost time. That's one expensive red dot.

Chris

Last edited:
I returned a holster there. The lady inspected it with a microscope for like 2 minutes to make sure I didn't use it. I usually don't go there unless I have a specific item I know they have and if I have a gift card. I don't know how you can buy a gun without feeling the trigger at least. I had bought a pocketknife for my nephew a while ago and I had to get a number. Waited a half hour to get something I already knew what I wanted. BPS sucks.

I was browsing at BP and saw a guy pick up his S&W Performance 627 V-Comp there. I was wondering why someone would buy something like that from BP. Then he smacks down about 20 gift cards on the counter to pay for it....

How many "Bass Pro Sucks" threads does this rant make on NES? It should be a Sticky!! [rofl]

What I find comical is that many on line sources beat large chain stores all day every day. Now if you were buying to keep your local shop open that's a different conversation.

i just discovered bass pro in manchester. it's now my go to place for dumb shit gun accessories i'd normally send out online for. jesus, mary and joseph, they stock pretty much everything and seem to be lower in price than riley's or shooters. instant gratification my friends, that's what it's about with me. granted some of the sales help is lacking but i can find everything myself. just sayin'.

I bought my Aimpoint PRO from Shooters Outpost about a year and a half ago. $399, no tax and I walked out the door with it. Online, check out SWFA for great selection and good prices on firearm optics and accessories.

By the way, remember: your time is worth something. You spent hours waiting and on the phone to buy a product. Then you spent more time complaining about it online. Whatever you end up paying for the Aimpoint, figure in an extra couple hundred dollars in lost time. That's one expensive red dot.

Chris

The complaining about it online has been the best part of this experience thus far. I never thought this thread would go 6 pages.

Taking a number in BPS for a sight? Man I am already fully aware of this but I'll say it anyway, Mass is one "f'ed" up state!!!

Yeah. This is a MA problem. [rofl] As if the MA store gets to go off-reservation on policy. Let's lay blame where it should.

If you bought it some where else, you wouldn't have any rant AND you would already have it.

If he had made them order it for him directly and shipped it to him, he might have it today.

Call them up, complain and have them ship it to your house, discounted with free shipping.

RUSH shipping. Not just their regular wagon-train shipping that takes 5 business days from the center of the country to everywhere. LOL

I never understood why people buy guns there. Their prices are terrible.

Amen. Never saw the sense. But plenty of guys are afraid to enter the local shop. Or, heck, they witness the dumbassery that we mention about 4x a year in the "guess what I heard in the local gun shop" threads. So they know if they want a NEW gun, they can get it, it'll likely be in stock and they can get some jerky and a fish pillow while they are at it. BPS is no set of dummies. ;)

This is a funny email I received
Hi John,

I am the Hunting manager here in our store and I can assure you that ***** has worked very hard on getting you this item. Some of our merchandise comes from Springfield Missouri and when a turbo order is placed it can still take up to 2 weeks to get here. Once we realized it was taking some time to get here she got another store to Fex Ex us one overnight for you but later to find out you cannot fed ex items with batteries overnight. I can assure you that as soon as this comes in our possession you will be notified right away.

Get on the email list for LA Police Gear. Several times a year they have coupon codes for 15% off anything on the site, which will usually get you an Aimpoint PRO for about $360.

I'd expect at least one or two of theses deals between now and Christmas.

I just cashed in a bunch of Walmart gift cards on a Trijicon MRO. That thing is pretty sweet. I like my PRO, but I think I am a Trijicon guy now.

So they mean "turbo" like the snail then, huh?

Just to be clear - plain old Aimpoint PRO. Patrol Rifle Optic?

Cheaper and free shipping at Brownell's. It'll be there in 3 days.

Last edited:
Once we realized it was taking some time to get here she got another store to Fex Ex us one overnight for you but later to find out you cannot fed ex items with batteries overnight.

Really? According to FedEx LiOn batteries up to 20Wh cells and 100Wh total installed in something (UN3841) don't even require a hazmat declaration or labeling unless there's more than 4 cells or 2 batteries per package. I'm pretty sure they ship cellphones overnight all the time and they have batteries in them..... how big is the battery for this scope???? Um, wow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....or you could have bought it on Amazon, had it at your door in 2 days - and for less money. your experience right there is why brick an mortar is antiquated, can't compete, and will eventually die in lieu of more economical options shoppers have. The only reason I walk into a store these days is to try on cloths... and even then... My list 5 pairs of boots and sneakers also came from online... And even with cloths most places offer free return shipping if something doesn't fit.

Back
Top Bottom