• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Basic medical

Sig Academy has a bullets and bandages class coming up this summer in june and july I believe.

I’m signed up for this in July, both Bullets & Bandages I & II for 5 consequtive days. It’s been a few years since I took a similar course series from Suarez Int’l out in Montana, instructed by a FL trauma surgeon and an Army SpecOps medic. Time for a refresher.

I still carry a small kit with CAT tourniquet, NAR ARS needle, chest seals, ChitoGauze, Olaes bandage, NPA, gloves, CPR shield and eye shield daily. Since the Marathon Bombing.

I've thought about this before even as a general self-defense concern: how do I prepare/train for fight vs flight and ensure I don't freeze up under pressure? They say competition is a step in the right direction but it's just such a controlled environment that I never get nervous or anything when on theclock

It looks like you’re already way ahead since you’re thinking about how you’ll react. Most don’t do that which is why they freeze or run away; you won’t get caught off guard.

Until something really happens I don’t think we know exactly how we’d react, but thinking about it in advance and promising yourself you will be a “helper” and not a bystander goes a long way in my opinion.

It’s a little cliche but I’d hope that if I were ever bleeding (or went into cardiac arrest, diabetic shock, etc) someone would help me, so I want to be there to help them too.

I took a three day Wilderness Medicine course. Long distance sailors, through-hikers etc take it as they have no chance of immediate help. They are offered through AMC, SOLO, WildMed and others.
l.

I thought REI held such classes too.

I know others have offered options for a class.

Just adding another option in;

I am bringing Dark Angel Medical here to Lowell MA for 16 hours of Trauma care class.
It does qualify for CEU's.

2 days, Aug 25th and 26th. I'll post details and a link in a bit.
(Edited dates, these are accurate)

Last edited:
The most important thing to do is stop the bleeding. If its an extremity slap a tourniquet on the extremity at least 2 inches above it, not over a joint and crank that thing until you cant turn it anymore. Not an extremity, hold pressure till ems arrives. There is really nothing else you can do to stop that kind of bleeding unless you can perform surgery.

If its a chest wound slap a piece of plastic over the wound and tape it down. Do the same for the exit wound if they have one. You dont have to worry about wasting money on those fancy chest seals they sell. They get clogged with blood and rarely work the way they should. Ive sealed chests with MRE wrappers and tape. You just want to stop the air from getting sucked into their thorax. The medics will decompress them when they arrive.

A tourniquet, duct tape and a couple 5x5 sheets of plastic should be everything you need.

In 2002 I took the Army's Combat Lifesaver course, 40 hrs if I remember correctly. We actually had to do stiks and start an IV. Look it up and download the PDF file.
Combat lifesaver course - Wikipedia

Good pdf guide. I’ve got IV kits but don’t carry them or bags (Ringers, Saline, etc.). In my work I’ve stuck pigs and dogs, and even tried it on myself, but never did another person. Outside Mil/Paramedic training (and med school/nursing school) I don’t think anyone teaches that due to liability concerns.

Good pdf guide. I’ve got IV kits but don’t carry them or bags (Ringers, Saline, etc.). In my work I’ve stuck pigs and dogs, and even tried it on myself, but never did another person. Outside Mil/Paramedic training (and med school/nursing school) I don’t think anyone teaches that due to liability concerns.
I took the course with my Infantry squad in Bosnia. Used the buddy system to do the stik and while I was getting stuck I looked over at two of my guys and during the stik I watched one of my Privates face go gray, his eyes rolled up in his head and boom, he passes out. I'm getting stuck and yelling at him and shaking him ,"Red, wake up?, he starts to come around, lifts his head up, opens his eyes and has a look like he's going to kill someone. Totally out of it, I'm still yelling at him and telling his buddy to watch out because he looks like he's about to start swinging. Finally he blinks his eyes a few times and comes out of it. The look on his face was priceless and scary. Some people hate needles.

An Update,

August 25th and 26th 2018
Dark Angel Medical "Direct Action Response Training" 16 hours, CEU qualified,
Emergency Trauma Training by Dark Angel Medical | Direct Action Response Training

Any questions, PM me
I’ll just say, get there. The Dark Angel taught Bulets and Bandages I course at SIG Academy this week had two days of lecture/hands-on schooling that was great, and a 3rd day with some shooting and self-application of tourniquets. Not to underrate the value of that 3rd day, but the first two are the meat and potatoes. Shooting and self-application of tourniquets just helps drill in doing it right under stress. If you can do it when you’re the one needing saving, you have a better chance of saving not only yourself but others.

Kerry, the Dark Angel himself, is just so easy to learn from - hard-ass facts, experience-based as well as medical community consensus-based teaching, a great sense of humor and mounds of training equipment and medical kit gear to try out on rubber dummy parts, yourself and fellow students.

After this class, you can expect to be much more able to help yourself, your loved ones and maybe others where you chose to intervene - at least until the professionals arrive.

Like they say, learn how to make holes, stop holes and plug holes. The holes you plug may be your own!

I took the class at Weston Shooters. Nicely done. The tourniquet used in that class was a wide strip of rubber you stretch around the limb for a wider pressure area. The cool thing was the rectangles printed on the rubber that turn into squares when stretched to the correct tension.

OK.
1. What and where is one of these classes? Is it a one-time class, or something that goes for a couple days, or once a week for a couple weeks?
How deep do you want to go?

American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED can be done in one or two evenings, or online at your own pace.
Stop the Bleed is an afternoon
Civilian "TCCC" classes are often a full day class, up to a weekend
Wilderness and Remote First Aid is a long weekend
Wilderness First Responder is a week

it goes on from there.

I suggest and am putting together a small mash * equipted bag. Have you been to any new medical facilities? They remind me of the RMV/DMVs, vitamins, antiseptic's, bandages, ankle braces, humans need to be adaptive to all conditions. with hospitals emergency access only.

Back
Top Bottom