Basic medical

kalash

NES Member
Decided to finally get a real range bag (instead of cramming everything into an ammo can) and figured I should finally get a med kit to keep in it. Problem is, I barely know what I'm looking at in a med kit - I've watched some YouTube videos on TQs but that's about it. I want to learn about proper application of QuikClot, bandages, etc. Is there a TC3-type course around here or something similar? Maybe that's not even the right course for a tacticool civilian who plays Rambo on the range and takes selfies in his molon labe hat?

You are looking for a trauma first aid type course. We had one at HSC a couple years ago. They recently had another with a different instructor/group. It is an excellent course to take. I’m probably going to be looking to re-up my training.

One of the things you will learn, if you have to use a quick clot stuffing, it is only effective if you can get it to the source of the leak.... for appendages a tourniquet is much more effective.

Tac-med makes some good kits.
An ex green beret that instructs Sig designed a lot of their stuff. He also teaches a good basic class for range officers that covers what you’re looking for.

I took a three day Wilderness Medicine course. Long distance sailors, through-hikers etc take it as they have no chance of immediate help. They are offered through AMC, SOLO, WildMed and others.

Offered in Boston in several locations, I took it at Thompson’s Island as I can ride my bike to the Ferry, which is by the Cruise Ship terminal.

Tac-med makes some good kits.
An ex green beret that instructs Sig designed a lot of their stuff. He also teaches a good basic class for range officers that covers what you’re looking for.
good to know, I asked five different EMT’s and got five different answers.

good to know, I asked five different EMT’s and got five different answers.

Jonny knows his shit. Bronze star combat medic (also a great rifle instructor).The class is hands on and you’ll walk away knowing how to deal with a gunshot wound to yourself or others, and understand what supplies to carry. Great class.

If you’ve never done a first aid course of any kind, start with that FA/CPR combo. After that I’ve found few options for more advanced courses.

MPS Solutions in West Springfield offers a BCon course sporadically which I’ve been trying to find time for. Can’t comment on its quality since i haven’t taken it yet.

This is my basic med kit:
20180408_Med_Kit_900.jpg

• gloves
  • adhesive bandage
  • bacitracin
  • tourniquet
I have a couple of med kits with more things like Celox and chest seals. But I've only taken one class and in a stressful situation, I probably would not be able to fully utilize it. I'm only confident/competent in using what's in the zip lock bag and calling for help.

This is my basic med kit:
20180408_Med_Kit_900.jpg

• gloves
  • adhesive bandage
  • bacitracin
  • tourniquet
I have a couple of med kits with more things like Celox and chest seals. But I've only taken one class and in a stressful situation, I probably would not be able to fully utilize it. I'm only confident/competent in using what's in the zip lock bag and calling for help.
In my very much amateur opinion, this is a good basic setup. I carry a quick clot, tq, and two pairs of rubber gloves in a coat pocket during colder months and cargo pocket in hot weather. I have chest seals and large gauze rolls/pads in my car kit. I don’t mess with decompression needles or nasopharyngeal stuff since I’ve not taken a class.

The other “stop bleeding” items are pretty straight forward in use.

I also have some various accessories like band aids, a flashlight, tape and shears.

Controlling your Panic in an accidental shooting is a tool also. Learn how to not become paralyzed when a clear head and strong heart are needed.
I've seen some big, tough guys fold when they see blood... let alone bone.

In my very much amateur opinion, this is a good basic setup. I carry a quick clot, tq, and two pairs of rubber gloves in a coat pocket during colder months and cargo pocket in hot weather. I have chest seals and large gauze rolls/pads in my car kit. I don’t mess with decompression needles or nasopharyngeal stuff since I’ve not taken a class.
I add a USGI combat dressing or two.

A Veteran who was in the Sandbox told a number of us that tampons are very valuable in plugging gunshot wounds. Makes sense.

Also only carry nitrile gloves, not vinyl. Vinyl gets stiff and cracks in cold weather and some folks I guess are allergic to it as well.

I also have no idea what should go in a kit other than bandaids, gloves, and an antiseptic. Thankfully in >40 yrs of shooting I've never witnessed a need for more than a bandaid.

First, direct pressure stops 99% of bleeding you'll ever encounter. So keep trauma pads for applying that pressure. The biggest ones you can fit in the kit you have.

Second, when using direct pressure never remove whatever youre using to apply pressure. I.e. you have a pad on and the blood soaks thru it. DO NOT remove it. Place another pad on top of it and keep pressing.

Leg or arm a TQ is useable if blood loss is arterial and/or cannot be stopped by direct pressure. TQ shouod only be used when you are sure the bleeding cannot be stopped and the volume being lost is clearly putting the patient at risk.

Clotting agents is a strange middle ground. Basically they were invented for arterial bleed stoppage and/or expediance for steeming bleeding when you need hands in the fight rather than trying to staunch bleeding. The civilian application for this is pretty limited. Basically I would consider using things like quiclot or hemcon pads if I had a clear arterial bleed or severe head wound with other injuries I had to tend to, or multiple patients with grave injuries and using it to extend triage time.

There are a number of classes out there for people to take.

Norco in Princeton had one a two months ago: Norco hosted the Second Safety Class for First Aid/CPR/AED and Gunshot Wound Management

I took a "Stop the Bleed" course from Community911 Training in Springfield a few months back. It was a short but intense class in controlling bleeding through the use of direct pressure, tourniquets, and the use of quick clot bandages. Home

I've taken just enough training to know that I (and my son) could use more. Most of us may never need it on the range but there are many possible opportunities for such training to be a life-saving skill in other instances. Or even just to help in minor day-to-day living.

BandAids are all I keep in my range bag. Then again, I have two other complete first aid kits in my car, one in the back seat center arm rest compartment that came with the car, and one in my roadside emergency bag. Both are well stocked, but it's probably time to refresh the car kit.

Should probably throw a tourniquet in the range bag, too. If I need anything else, it's either already in one of the two kits, or it's something ridiculous like an AED that I'm not about to start lugging around anyhow.

I've taken just enough training to know that I (and my son) could use more. Most of us may never need it on the range but there are many possible opportunities for such training to be a life-saving skill in other instances. Or even just to help in minor day-to-day living.
There is a lot of wisdom in this. I’ve taken and retaken basic cpr and first aid with some great instructors. They definitely covered more than they probably needed to and in more depth, but additional training in specific kinds of problems is vital to the “next step” knowledge.

It can be for the bleeding injuries most interesting to tacticool mall ninjas like us, but other stuff as well. I’ve seen as many heart attacks in person as I have heavy bleeding injuries.

AF1QipNmstQd0zCKXGnP19iOBV-Pk6mZWi25j1vl4P72
I teach a basic wound management class at the Weston Shooters Club. I don't have a class scheduled right now but if there is enough interest I can get one on the books in the next few weeks.

Basic Wound Management

Basic Wound Management

The Basic Wound Management class, taught by Massachusetts EMT and Iraq War Veteran Bill Carlo will teach you the basic skills to treat penetrating wounds until Emergency services arrive.

Prerequisites: None
Cost: $100.00
Time: 2 hours
Instructor: Bill Carlo
Curriculum includes:

• Contacting and relaying vital information to 911 dispatchers
  • Protection against infectious disease
  • Controlling Blood Loss
  • Pressure Dressings
  • Appropriate use of Tourniquets
  • Hemostatic Agents / Quick Clot
  • Chest Seals
The class is approximately two hours long and consists of video instruction and hands on training. Instructions will be provided for self-aid as well as the aid of others. Some of the videos in the class do contain graphic images.

All Weston Shooters Club Academy classes are limited to a capacity that will ensure that each student gets the individual attention they need to master the subject matter of the course during the allotted time. In addition to scheduled classes, private instruction is always available.

Controlling your Panic in an accidental shooting is a tool also. Learn how to not become paralyzed when a clear head and strong heart are needed.
I've seen some big, tough guys fold when they see blood... let alone bone.
I've thought about this before even as a general self-defense concern: how do I prepare/train for fight vs flight and ensure I don't freeze up under pressure? They say competition is a step in the right direction but it's just such a controlled environment that I never get nervous or anything when on the clock.

AF1QipNmstQd0zCKXGnP19iOBV-Pk6mZWi25j1vl4P72
I teach a basic wound management class at the Weston Shooters Club. I don't have a class scheduled right now but if there is enough interest I can get one on the books in the next few weeks.
Three of my friends and I would be potentially interested.

I've thought about this before even as a general self-defense concern: how do I prepare/train for fight vs flight and ensure I don't freeze up under pressure?

One of the best things that helped me get over the "squeamish" parts of life was hunting deer when I was in my teens. Gutting a still-warm buck in the field and then learning to skin, quarter and butcher it will make you superhuman when it comes to blood and anatomy. My advice is to take up hunting...

One of the best things that helped me get over the "squeamish" parts of life was hunting deer when I was in my teens. Gutting a still-warm buck in the field and then learning to skin, quarter and butcher it will make you superhuman when it comes to blood and anatomy. My advice is to take up hunting...
We're going way off topic here but I've only gone bird hunting (unsuccessfully). I really don't have anywhere to hang a deer anyways but I was thinking of going for squirrel some time - I just don't know jack about hunting them tree rats.

We're going way off topic here but I've only gone bird hunting (unsuccessfully). I really don't have anywhere to hang a deer anyways but I was thinking of going for squirrel some time - I just don't know jack about hunting them tree rats.

No, that's fine. Anything that you kill or catch will teach you something. Fishing is great too, because if you eat your catch, you will most likely be killing and cleaning it yourself.
When I open a fish, I don't just open the belly and close my eyes when gutting it. I look at the organs. Once every couple of years I see something I don't like and will toss the fish into the cat tails for the otters and such. Supermarkets have separated Man from the important parts of eating meat, and we are far less Thankful for a pale chicken breast than we are a Living Thing that sustains us and feeds us. Hell. I've seen guys unable to run a hook through a worm or the jaw of a frog...

Back
Top Bottom