Baltimore, FNS Exclusive video reveals unexpected gunfire from police weapons

Wow, that is frightening. The conditions under which to pistols would unintentionally discharge are all things that can and will happen during normal operation.

Also, maybe it was just the video, but it looked like the action didn't cycle in any of those tests.

WTF? Why did they choose the FN when they admit it scored 3rd out of 4 pistols? Price?
Probably. Just because it was 3 out of 4 doesn't mean that it failed to meet the given criteria. Could be that all four met or exceeded the department's criteria and the non-price differences were small.

ETA: I also think that in a lot of cases, a PD's handgun selection process has an awful lot to do with the personal preferences of the one or two individuals making the final decision.

Baltimore County Police Department’s perceived issues including those affecting three of their 1,920 FNS-40 pistols in service, heavily used in the line of duty over 4 years

Wow, the cops must shoot a lot of people down there in Baltimore County.

Holy crap! Tap the bottom of the mag and the pistol discharges? How the hell did FN allow that gun out of the factory?
From the video, it appeared to me that the slide was slightly out of battery before a tap would result in a discharge. But that's not an unusual occurrence during some normal handling like holstering.

From the video, it appeared to me that the slide was slightly out of battery before a tap would result in a discharge. But that's not an unusual occurrence during some normal handling like holstering.

If you're holstering the gun, it's possible the slide will move out of battery, especially with a very tight holster fit, but pulling the the trigger while doing so isn't a normal practice.

If you're holstering the gun, it's possible the slide will move out of battery, especially with a very tight holster fit, but pulling the the trigger while doing so isn't a normal practice.

As shown in the video, the gun discharges without the trigger being pulled.

This is what happens when you buy a gun that literally nobody uses. I almost bought one of these but the lack of use scared me away from
it, because there's zero aftermarket and limited testing of these things.

-Mike

Wow, that is frightening. The conditions under which to pistols would unintentionally discharge are all things that can and will happen during normal operation.

Also, maybe it was just the video, but it looked like the action didn't cycle in any of those tests.

Probably. Just because it was 3 out of 4 doesn't mean that it failed to meet the given criteria. Could be that all four met or exceeded the department's criteria and the non-price differences were small.

ETA: I also think that in a lot of cases, a PD's handgun selection process has an awful lot to do with the personal preferences of the one or two individuals making the final decision.
Not to mention the envelope left on the table.

But the unsafe condition was set in motion by first pulling the trigger while out of battery, the trigger blade never returned to the fully forward safe position.

That's still a horrendous design flaw, there's no getting around it. You shouldn't have to completely cycle the firearm to restore it to safe normal operation or stick your finger in the trigger guard to push the thing forward, that's "broken". By the standards set out by others, I'd bet that Glock, M&P, etc, don't suffer from this problem. Or even a Sig P320.

-Mike

Not to mention the envelope left on the table.
GG&G sight mount on the first generation USMC DMR. Had to be welded in place on the receiver because they were so crooked. Not saying a certain CWO5 was receiving any improper benefit through the selection of certain vendors, just saying.

Forgive my lack of experience but does anyone else trust carrying a striker fired pistol with one in battery? I sometimes carry my CM9 in this condition due to the long heavy trigger pull but I’ve not heard any issues with this particular small pistol. I don’t think I would ever carry even my G17 like this.

Forgive my lack of experience but does anyone else trust carrying a striker fired pistol with one in battery? I sometimes carry my CM9 in this condition due to the long heavy trigger pull but I’ve not heard any issues with this particular small pistol. I don’t think I would ever carry even my G17 like this.

most striker fired guns are completely safe to carry with a round in the chamber. the FNS is not apparently. I believe the FN 509 fixed the issue though.

20+ year old G27, no issues.

Oh no. Not this again...

I have been carrying striker fired pistols with one in the pipe for years, glocks, m&p, XD, P99. Never goes bang until the trigger is pulled.

I’m surprised nobody has pointed out the real issue yet.....fotay!

You're joking, right?

The only time I have an unloaded pistol in a holster on me is when I'm on a "COLD RANGE", such as an IDPA or USPSA match. A pistol with an empty chamber does two things - it downloads your bullet count by one, and it absolutely requires you to use both hands and more time to bring that gun into play. (Yeah, you could use your belt, or the edge of your boot, or another hard surface - but realistically speaking you're going to use your weak hand to rack the slide unless your weak hand is non-functional).

So, why the hell would you intentionally handicap yourself like that?

Well designed guns do NOT go off by themselves. This thread is about a rarity, not the norm. Get a quality handgun, put it in a good holster and move on. Your G17? Perfectly safe carried with a round in the chamber. I have two of them, plus two aftermarket not-Glock-G17's. I wouldn't think of carrying them any other way.

I carry my Glocks and Kahrs with a round in the chamber. I’ve done so for decades. I’ve competed in IDPA and USPSA and I’ve never seen a Glock discharge due to a mechanical issue.

Back
Top Bottom