• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Unexpected inaccuracy

DarthRevan

NES Member
Went to the 100yd today to break in and zero with my new suppressor (RC3)

IMG_2127.jpeg

Documentation says 100 rds to break in so I picked some bulk ammo I have and figure I’d get close enough with these and some black hills to finish off the zero.
I didn’t take pictures though I should have but Federal XM193 does not agree with this setup I think. 5-6” groups

I’ve shot 55gr of other manufacturers out of this gun without the suppressor so I know it can shoot the expected 2-2.5” with M193 but damn was that a surprise. Not to mention POI was walking everywhere.
I had some 75gr Hornady black that shot 1.2 MOA so I’m almost positive the Federal is just shit but wouldn’t have expected this bad.
I ran out of time to try it without the can on so I’ll try to get back this week and see if it repeats.

Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Went to the 100yd today to break in and zero with my new suppressor (RC3)

View attachment 865323

Documentation says 100 rds to break in so I picked some bulk ammo I have and figure I’d get close enough with these and some black hills to finish off the zero.
I didn’t take pictures though I should have but Federal XM193 does not agree with this setup I think. 5-6” groups

I’ve shot 55gr of other manufacturers out of this gun without the suppressor so I know it can shoot the expected 2-2.5” with M193 but damn was that a surprise. Not to mention POI was walking everywhere.
I had some 75gr Hornady black that shot 1.2 MOA so I’m almost positive the Federal is just shit but wouldn’t have expected this bad.
I ran out of time to try it without the can on so I’ll try to get back this week and see if it repeats.

Anyone else ever have a similar experience?

Bulk 55gr out of a 1:7 is a crap shoot for precision.

Also, I haven’t had a great track record with the precision of Federal ammo, except for their Gold Medal Match line.

Suppressors depending on their inners can make a weapon system more (far more) inaccurate. I do not know much about them (the topic is very complex), but this much from experience I can tell you for certain. There were times in the not so distant past when "suppressed sniper setup" was a dirty statement.

In the PCSL matches at Sig lots of folks run cans and some of them were literally all over the place. And I am talking sorted out, expensive (by the looks of it) setups at 25-30 yards or less.. Just an observation.

Have you tried a different can?

Last edited:
Suppressors depending on their inners can make a weapon system more (far more) inaccurate. I do not know much about them (the topic is very complex), but this much from experience I can tell you for certain. There were times in the not so distant past when "suppressed sniper setup" was a dirty statement.

In the PCSL matches at Sig lots of folks run cans and some of them were literally all over the place. And I am talking sorted out, expensive (by the looks of it) setups at 25-30 yards or less.. Just an observation.

Have you tried a different can?
Not on this rifle, but on a similar LWRC IC-DI I have a Q Trash panda set up and that seems fine with 55gr. Same twist rate

Went back to the range Friday and yes, this batch of ammo is shit.

IMG_2174.jpeg

Blue center is 75 grain, and top left is Black Hills 77gr. All prone on a shitty wood rest so this wasn’t bench shooting.

Target below in red was my LWRC ic-a2 with MRO (red dot) and RC2 using the XM193. As you can see that shit was errr whrrrr

The only use case I can think of is just mag dumps at 25yards into trash.

I know you shoot more than I do but I hesitate to agree with your assessment.
I don't know what to tell you: BH 77's are a good 1 moa round. I'm looking at 2-1/2 moa on your target. Something else is causing them to shoot that poorly.

I know nothing about suppressors since we can't have them in this lovely state. Could something be misaligned so that the bullets are sometimes just barely touching the inside of the suppressor on the way out?

I don't know what to tell you: BH 77's are a good 1 moa round. I'm looking at 2-1/2 moa on your target. Something else is causing them to shoot that poorly.
Oh I thought you were talking about the 55s

No I had two operator errors on the top left, and I was still working to zero the sight on the center two groups. I’m happy with the 75 and 77 results. The rest is on me.

Oh I thought you were talking about the 55s

No I had two operator errors on the top left, and I was still working to zero the sight on the center two groups. I’m happy with the 75 and 77 results. The rest is on me.

That Federal XM193 appears to be complete and utter garbage if you’re getting that red “group”/buckshot with one rifle and also got a 5-6” group with your LMT. I bet it’d shoot a little better with a 1:9 twist barrel, but man, something is very wrong with that ammo. I’m guessing a bad lot of bullets, terribly imbalanced.

It's not the ammo. Something else is wrong.

The red group was shot with a different rifle than the 5-6” group he mentioned in the OP. Both rifles shot that ammo terribly. I’d say it’s the ammo.

That Federal XM193 appears to be complete and utter garbage if you’re getting that red “group”/buckshot with one rifle and also got a 5-6” group with your LMT. I bet it’d shoot a little better with a 1:9 twist barrel, but man, something is very wrong with that ammo. I’m guessing a bad lot of bullets, terribly imbalanced.

The red group was shot with a different rifle than the 5-6” group he mentioned in the OP. Both rifles shot that ammo terribly. I’d say it’s the ammo.
Disregard my comments. I was referring to the groups outlined in blue.

That being said, the red group is 12"? I've never seen even the worst ammo shoot that horribly.
Assuming 100 yards?

Disregard my comments. I was referring to the groups outlined in blue.

That being said, the red group is 12"? I've never seen even the worst ammo shoot that horribly.
Assuming 100 yards?
Yes at 100
The sight on the LWRC was originally zeroed at 100 but this ammo is so bad I couldn’t even use it as a means to rough in a new 100 yd zero.

I kept using it as I was breaking in a second can (RC2).

I’ve never seen groups like that from Federal ammo. I suspect it isn’t the ammo. Take the can off and try again with the same ammo. Or shoot the same ammo in a different gun.

Back
Top Bottom