Bad News from New Bedford

I know that this is a complicated issue but I have to ask (and I have never been to NB). What is the problem with no shooting at side berms? I shoot at 2 clubs that have concrete side berms and shooting them is a DQ. There are some limitations to shooting however not enough to shut down an entire program. I'm assuming that a lot more than outlawing side berm shooting took place?

I know that this is a complicated issue but I have to ask (and I have never been to NB). What is the problem with no shooting at side berms? I shoot at 2 clubs that have concrete side berms and shooting them is a DQ. There are some limitations to shooting however not enough to shut down an entire program. I'm assuming that a lot more than outlawing side berm shooting took place?

The NB case is quite obviously a political issue and not one of range safety.

-Mike

What is the problem with no shooting at side berms?
My understanding is one individual got himself appointed safety czar, and the rule is "the word of the czar makes it so" when it comes to what is safe and what is not.

Guns and ETOH don't mix.

The fish & game club in my hometown in NYS went dry about 10 years ago and it was the best thing they ever did.

It wasn't easy, but they got rid of the deadwood and booze hounds and brought in a younger crowd that was interested in shooting rather than drinking. They then went on to improve all the ranges and the club numbers and weekly shooters increased.

It was an outstanding place to shoot and compete. It had a lot of great people that helped get the range built each month and it offered a first class environment which was perfectly safe.

What tore it apart was the egos and small minds from both the BODs and the Fuds. They sure as hell liked the revenue it brought in but hated to see a new version of shooting they didn't like and took offense to. They are the ones that destroyed a good thing and I hope members decide to leave.

Mike

Way back, Action Pistol was shot in New Bedford at the Rifle Range and no side berms were used. Then the pocket ranges were installed.
The side berms of the pocket ranges were not built using the same screened fill as the back. Meaning the side has more rocks and other objects. They are also not as tall. This became more of a concern when the three-gun matches started.

Some members of the BOD at the time (there are now some new members on the BOD's) felt (right or wrong) they or the club could be liable in case of an accident. So the Action Pistol committee member dug in his heels saying matches could not be run without using the side berms and the BOD dug in their heels and here we are.
The present BOD's I believe would welcome someone to run a Action Pistol program particularly Steel Challenge which was very popular. As long as the side berms did not have targets placed there.

Last edited:
Way back, Action Pistol was shot in New Bedford at the Rifle Range and no side berms were used. Then the pocket ranges were installed.
The side berms of the pocket ranges were not built using the same screened fill as the back. Meaning the side has more rocks and other objects. They are also not as tall. This became more of a concern when the three-gun matches started.

Some members of the BOD at the time (there are now some new members on the BOD's) felt (right or wrong) they or the club could be liable in case of an accident. So the Action Pistol committee member dug in his heels saying matches could not be run without using the side berms and the BOD dug in their heels and here we are.
The present BOD's I believe would welcome someone to run a Action Pistol program particularly Steel Challenge which was very popular. As long as the side berms did not have targets placed there.

Did the BOD offer to screen the berm material or add height to meet their arbitrary standard? Or did they just shut down the program suddenly?

Also, you can't run outdoor USPSA matches without side berms. You'd lose competitors to matches that have better stage designs. This does not constitute "digging in your heels."

Also, you can't run outdoor USPSA matches without side berms. You'd lose competitors to matches that have better stage designs. This does not constitute "digging in your heels."

This. Not being able to use side berms greatly limits the design of action pistol matches.

Right. No shooting into the side berms, it is for safety. No moving with loaded firearm. Heck, no moving with un-holstered firearm. Limit the magazines to 5 rounds only, bullseye folks are OK with that. It is for the child... for the safety that is. As some self-proclaimed "expert" fudd sees it. Let's be honest, is it encouraging the sport of USPSA or shutting it down?

Did the BOD offer to screen the berm material or add height to meet their arbitrary standard? Or did they just shut down the program suddenly?
"

That was discussed. The problem being that when you add material for height you also reduce the width of the range. I don't want to be in a position of defending the BOD's. I don't agree with this at all. Just giving some background. They did not say you can't run IDPA or USPSA. Just said no impact into side berms.
I wish Action Pistol committee had continued to run Steel Challenge (which should not affect the side berms) to keep the program going but...

I would agree with you on use of side berms for USPSA. But I have been to IDPA matches with no side berm targets. How does the S&W IDPA Indoor Nationals take place with no side berms?

Last edited:
Only placing targets on near the backstop definitely limits stage design and 'some' of the fun, but it is not necessary. The last couple of years Manville (RI) had USPSA matches they only had targets up against the backstop and quite a few people showed up and although the stages were not as elaborate as NB it was still a lot of fun.

BTW, what happened to all the targets (drop turns, clam shells, poppers, etc.) they had in NB? I hope they are not sitting in a container rusting..

Back
Top Bottom