• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"ATF Goes After Homemade Silencers Through Mass Form 1 Disapprovals"

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
ATF Goes After Homemade Silencers Through Mass Form 1 Disapprovals
So that’s scary. Effectively the ATF is saying that the applicant already possesses the components necessary to make the silencer and, because those components are intended to become silencer components, they ARE silencer components. And now the applicant is being accused of possessing a silencer(s) in violation of the NFA.

Mind you, NFA violation is a 10-year Federal felony offense. No joking matter. And as it appears that a clear majority of Form 1 silencer applications filed since approximately mid-December have been denied and were issued this same reason for disapproval, we’re talking about a heck of a lot of people. People who were, to be crystal clear, trying their hardest to follow the law in good faith and were seeking to register their parts and pay a $200 tax.

So…if I bought a solvent trap and later filed a Form 1 to convert it into a silencer, have I violated the NFA? That’s the assertion in ATF’s disapproval notice, but there are multiple issues with this claim . . .
The article includes a screenshot and a quote from the ATF.

There's also a discussion here on the Form 1 mess, beginning around on page 30. It seems the ATF is trying to shut down all but true homemade silencers. The kits seem to be in their sights,

The whole thing is comical. They say that any part ( tube, end cap, baffle,etc.) that can be used to make a silencer is by itself a silencer. So if you get a Form 1 approved and make the tube, two end caps and six baffles you then have nine silencers on one form? I really don't think that many people who go thru the process abuse it. Yes, you might have a few extra baffles on stand by to replace worn ones, but you would do that at nite under a tarp in the wood shed. No harm done to anyone. Jack.

The whole thing is comical. They say that any part ( tube, end cap, baffle,etc.) that can be used to make a silencer is by itself a silencer. So if you get a Form 1 approved and make the tube, two end caps and six baffles you then have nine silencers on one form? I really don't think that many people who go thru the process abuse it. Yes, you might have a few extra baffles on stand by to replace worn ones, but you would do that at nite under a tarp in the wood shed. No harm done to anyone. Jack.
What if the children were to find the baffles?

Lol all of that and it doesn't tell us what the trigger criteria is for this sort of rejection.

Are people being dumb enough to write in BRAND SOLVENT TRAP on the Form1 or something?
They were using kit model numbers on the form 1 same as the manufacturer. As of this morning you have to send detailed pics of the raw materials you're using. A lot of people see this as self incriminating or at the very least an automatic disapproval if its a "kit" silencer like Quiet Bore or JK Armament. People who are surprised by this had their heads in their asses, the ATF has been visiting/raiding every silencer kit company out there for the last six months.

They were using kit model numbers on the form 1 same as the manufacturer. As of this morning you have to send detailed pics of the raw materials you're using. A lot of people see this as self incriminating or at the very least an automatic disapproval if its a "kit" silencer like Quiet Bore or JK Armament. People who are surprised by this had their heads in their asses, the ATF has been visiting/raiding every silencer kit company out there for the last six months.

So when are they going to start hitting the auto parts companies for making oil filers? [laugh]

Is this another one of those deals where an NFA attorney has to bitchslap them and then miraculously the faggotry disappears? The NFA branch seems to have some leadership in it somewhere that causes these problems and then at some point or another there is a "correction" and they shut the f*** up and go back to whatever the previous position
was. Or at least they pick something less gay.

This reminds me of the faggotry when they were trying to shut down MA based NFA trusts and that kind of thing. Or when they got caught "believing healeyban" although im not sure what happened with that.

Wait i don't have any thing of this nature. I'm too lazy to go fill out the forms.

But extra baffles for when they wear out have to be form 1'd

Is this another one of those deals where an NFA attorney has to bitchslap them and then miraculously the faggotry disappears? The NFA branch seems to have some leadership in it somewhere that causes these problems and then at some point or another there is a "correction" and they shut the f*** up and go back to whatever the previous position
was. Or at least they pick something less gay.

This reminds me of the faggotry when they were trying to shut down MA based NFA trusts and that kind of thing. Or when they got caught "believing healeyban" although im not sure what happened with that.
More the dude from cali selling 80% stuff to homies. When they realized he prosecuting would set bad legal precedent and they dropped the charges

So when are they going to start hitting the auto parts companies for making oil filers? [laugh]
I was thinking the same thing. I just ordered 4 oil filters for my Triumph. Does that put me on a list?

I never could understand the hysteria over suppressors. In the UK, you are expected to purchase one if you purchase a center fire rifle to avoid annoying others. UK is notorious for its strict gun laws.i saw old photos of weapons taken from 1920s and 1930s era gangsters, including Bonnie and Clyde, John Dillinger, Alvin Karpis and Ma Barker. None were suppressed.

I never could understand the hysteria over suppressors. In the UK, you are expected to purchase one if you purchase a center fire rifle to avoid annoying others. UK is notorious for its strict gun laws.i saw old photos of weapons taken from 1920s and 1930s era gangsters, including Bonnie and Clyde, John Dillinger, Alvin Karpis and Ma Barker. None were suppressed.
politicians here after kennedys got whacked became quite very aware about their precious safety. and as silencers - obviously - make all gunshots _silent_, then it should be forbidden, to preserve the politicians population.
that is what politics and politicians are - hypocrisy, stupidity, mass hysteria and entitlement to make idiotic decisions to outlaw anything.

politicians here after kennedys got whacked became quite very aware about their precious safety. and as silencers - obviously - make all gunshots _silent_, then it should be forbidden, to preserve the politicians population.
that is what politics and politicians are - hypocrisy, stupidity, mass hysteria and entitlement to make idiotic decisions to outlaw anything.
MA banned a type of clumsy, obscure knife carry device that never was a problem to begin with. Banned right next to "zoobows" and "throwing stars". Years ago, back in the late 1970s, I saw one advertised in Easyriders magazine. It was very bulky and fit on the back of a belt, designed to hold a Buck 110 or 112 partially open for a one-handed quick draw. I knew plenty of people who carried Buck folders in back pockets and the factory supplied belt case. I never actually saw one of these devices, but MA wasted no time banning it. It was a waste of time and money. Many easy ways to open a folder with one hand. No need for expensive gimmicks!

Did you not know? If you buy or make a suppressor, you will want to snipe pedestrians and rob banks. That’s all they are good for and are banned accordingly because of this.

MA banned a type of clumsy, obscure knife carry device that never was a problem to begin with. Banned right next to "zoobows" and "throwing stars". Years ago, back in the late 1970s, I saw one advertised in Easyriders magazine. It was very bulky and fit on the back of a belt, designed to hold a Buck 110 or 112 partially open for a one-handed quick draw. I knew plenty of people who carried Buck folders in back pockets and the factory supplied belt case. I never actually saw one of these devices, but MA wasted no time banning it. It was a waste of time and money. Many easy ways to open a folder with one hand. No need for expensive gimmicks!
I actually still have one of these. lol I must’ve gotten it in the 80’s somewhere. Fit my Buck 110, was made of bulky black plastic and leather.

Somehow it grips the blade point when you’re drawing it and opens it for you. Now I’ll have to look around and see where it is in the attic boxes. I don’t think I’ve worn it since the 80’s. Might be a preban collector piece now. lol

Back
Top Bottom