Asshats making LTC Quincy Ma difficult

He specifically mentioned NC.

My personal experience in the county I live in was nearly identical to yours. My sheriff came out of his office to shake my hand and thank me for coming in to get a permit. Turn around was about a week. To be honest, I never ran in to any trouble getting my LTC in MA either. I was fortunate enough to live and work in green towns, even had a great place to shoot outdoors on private property.

Point of my post was to suggest that maybe we do have a dog in this fight as the situation here is not that much different than MA. Particularly in NC.
There are people in Raleigh, Asheville, Charlotte, and Fayetteville working hard to change the way the state swings. My understanding is that in some counties in NC that translates to making obtaining a CCW as difficult as possible, similar to how certain towns in MA do the same. As far as you're concerned, take a look at the counties up and down the shore from you and see how they swung in the 2016 presidential election. The cities and the leftist ideologies they breed are spreading. If we ignore it we'll end up just like MA before long.

We're still arguing about the last governor's election. Abrams insists it was "stolen" from her. For me, in Georgia, it's the cities like Atlanta and even Savannah where anti-gun people are working to change things. So, yeah, we do have a dog in this fight.

Time to write another check to GOAL and/or Comm2A.

Love all the comments about how easy it is in other States. We get it. Move on. We are talking about Quincy, MA here.

The instructor is a d*ck for not saying the class included live fire.

OP, NES is full of instructors. I'm sure your kid can pay someone and go shoot with them one weekend. It s*cks, but I dont think there is anything else he can do.

When I lost my handgun safely class Certificate, and the town asked for it again when renewing, I found 4 NES members willing to let me take the the class AGAIN with them. That made things a lot easier.

Meh - I knew Boston had a live fire requirement. I've moved to NC and really don't have a dog in this fight any more, but at some point, someone needs to smack down these municipalities for making up their own rules.
Even in NC. At least Wake Co. NC, it’s Shall Issue but the requirement is for an 8 Hr NRA handgun course & 1 hour NC Law then 50 rounds of live fire!

No consideration or reduction for those with 10+ years of out of state license. Was complete waste of a Saturday except for the humor of questions/mistakes by folks who seem to have never handled a pistol before the class.

Franklin must be an anomaly, i had to take the class but after that it was , fill out the application, give them the money and get pictures and prints. The interview consisted of the licensing officer and myself lamenting the loss of hunting land in town. No letters of reference or other silly crap.

What is this "stamp" people are talking about?

MFS: After completing their course, classroom and live fire, you receive the MA State Police certificate. Also there was a certification an ink- stamp on it stating that there was live fire contained in the curriculum.

This may be different so many years later.

ETA: I type slowly see post #36 for photo of stamp.

Last edited:
If you need a couple of cardboard IDPA targets full of holes I'd be happy to oblige, they might get jealous when they see how well you shot at your basic pistol class though lol

BTW I would go full retard and submit two rubber stamped big cardboard IDPA targets.

I also include live fire. I notate it as such on the BFS certificate as it is not part of the NRA HFS course itself. My students shoot 50 rds mixed (.22LR, 9mm, .223, 7.62x39). Nobody that I've taught has been rejected wrt live-fire requirements.

This just reaffirms why I love Tennessee. It is a shall issue state. One 8 hour class and a clean criminal history.....license to conceal carry issued. And they issue one good for life with no renewals for an extra $50. They even take new photos for free every 10 years.

One gripe I have with a live fire requirement is that not everyone that possesses firearm plans on ever
shooting them... collectors, inheritance, family heirloom.

The person I named in my will to inherit my firearms has zero interest in going to a range or hunting,
but she knows they have a fair amount of cash value. She's also my emergency back up to rescue my firearms
from the PD (before they're sent to VV), if for some unforeseeable reason they're ever confiscated.

Not all instructors or courses are associated with a range or gun club where classes can be held.
Requiring a live fire portion would mean having access to a range that would allow non-members the time
and opportunity to use their resources... for an additional fee of course. All that adds up to fewer instructors
available and longer waits to sign up for the course.

All of this which will make things suck even more if H.2091 passes and
a live fire portion becomes mandatory.

I wonder if Quincy would have accepted an LTC-002 / NRA Basic Pistol cert without a special stamp or target... The law says LTC-002 only counts if NRA BP is taught according the the NRA's curriculum, which *must* include live fire.

I wonder if Quincy would have accepted an LTC-002 / NRA Basic Pistol cert without a special stamp or target... The law says LTC-002 only counts if NRA BP is taught according the the NRA's curriculum, which *must* include live fire.
Well, expecting a chief/LO to know what the NRA course curriculums include is a real stretch. Even as an NRA Instructor it is difficult to determine what a course contains unless you have taken it or are certified to teach it and thus have the instructor's manual in-hand.

The instructor is really letting him down by refusing to say live fire was done......
Two words: Stockholm Syndrom

It is not the instructor's issue. The PD is preventing someone from submitting an application that meets the statutory requirement. Let's start blaming the right party.

My future son inlaw applied for LTC in Quincy
application filled out complete & correctly
included Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Certificate, dated this year

wait, listen for it............
they wouldn’t accept the Safety Certificate on its own merit
saying it doesn’t signify there was “ live range fire” on the certificate ( wat da faque). BTW, he did live fire as part of the course requirement
they said they needed to see a stamp or some shite

so he w now have to take a course $$$$$
an hour of live fire, w 2 different pistols & submit a signed & stamped target
instructor saying that he didn’t think 16-20 rounds would qualify as “ live fire” for THEIR standard

FML
f*** it leave on the desk as is PER LAW ! up horse shit.

First sentence, in bold, asks for the live fire certification. MFS, for example, asks people where they are applying to,and if you say Quincy, they give you the stamp.

From my experience, Quincy is quite 2A friendly. At least as much as you can be in Massachusetts, and close to Boston. You just have to make sure to not give them any excuse. I’d recommend talking to the very nice lady doing the paperwork, and get it sort it out. If your instruction won’t certify it, then which is ridiculous, maybe go to MFS and redo it.

Yeah, that’s a nice stamp MFS puts on their carts but it’s not an official state stamp or anything like that.
Oh I fully agree. MFS gave 2 different certs, one being a Mass State Police Cert with rubber stamp for live fire bs, and one cert for basic firearms safety course. Nobody should need either... I was 16 when I got my FID with a parental signature for
endorsement.

Yeah, that’s a nice stamp MFS puts on their carts but it’s not an official state stamp or anything like that.
There is NO "official state stamp"! I think that MFS was probably the first one to do this. I do it in text on the PDF form that MSP sent me. I'm sure that others also do it in pen & ink or a rubber stamp.

Quincy must have changed because since Koch became Mayor it's been green for LTCs. Maybe the chief changed.
Same chief but new licensing officer who I assume is more 2A friendly. The previous one probably would’ve pulled my license after I got a visit from MSP due to sarcasm on this site.

There is NO "official state stamp"! I think that MFS was probably the first one to do this. I do it in text on the PDF form that MSP sent me. I'm sure that others also do it in pen & ink or a rubber stamp.

Yes, I know there’s no official state stamp. Perhaps my post wasn’t clear.

One gripe I have with a live fire requirement is that not everyone that possesses firearm plans on ever
shooting them... collectors, inheritance, family heirloom.

The person I named in my will to inherit my firearms has zero interest in going to a range or hunting,
but she knows they have a fair amount of cash value. She's also my emergency back up to rescue my firearms
from the PD (before they're sent to VV), if for some unforeseeable reason they're ever confiscated.

Not all instructors or courses are associated with a range or gun club where classes can be held.
Requiring a live fire portion would mean having access to a range that would allow non-members the time
and opportunity to use their resources... for an additional fee of course. All that adds up to fewer instructors
available and longer waits to sign up for the course.

All of this which will make things suck even more if H.2091 passes and
a live fire portion becomes mandatory.

Interesting, re Linsky's crap. The language mentions license [sic] club. What does that mean? There are no state-issued licenses for clubs. Also, there's language in another section of the MGLs that state that a Hunter Ed Cert. ( which has no handling of real guns) is OK for LTC/FID issuance.

More Linskycrap [puke]

Yes, I know there’s no official state stamp. Perhaps my post wasn’t clear.
Nah, you're all good. I thought the duplicity of MFS certs was just an incentive for enrollment. When I went there it was just
a few SA and DA revolver shots. No semi auto. Jeez.

Quincy must have changed because since Koch became Mayor it's been green for LTCs. Maybe the chief changed.
Maybe since the LTC officer Capt DiBona passed on things have changed. I just renewed last year and had zero issues.

Maybe since the LTC officer Capt DiBona passed on things have changed. I just renewed last year and had zero issues.
The thinking often seems to be "licensed for X years with zero issues, I guess we can take a chance licensing you for another six".

The only license application I know that requires an official stamp from the instructor is Utah. (yes, really)

How’s Quincy been recently on renewals? I’m new Quincy resident 1 year from Boston with Boston no restrictions and am wondering if I’m going to have to go thru this dog and pony show of recommendation letters.

Back
Top Bottom