• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Asperger's Disorder

http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/healthcast/BO41571

Asperger's Disorder
We've been hearing a lot about Asperger's Disorder in the past week. A 16-year-old boy, accused of stabbing his classmate to death, is said to have the disorder. But today, a local parent of a child with Asperger's wants people to know that violence is not a characteristic of the disorder.

View all archived
7 Healthcast reports

Ajay Attenazio looks like your typical nine-year-old boy.

"He loves to bowl, loves to swim [and] loves to go to the beach," Ajay's mom , Lisa Attenazio, said.

Attenazio says Ajay also excels in school, especially in math.

"He'd do all kinds of multiplication and division, and I'd sit there with my calculator trying to figure out if these answers were right, and they were right," Attenazio said.

But what's not typical about Ajay is that he has Asperger's Disorder, a high functioning form of autism.

"Characteristics of kids with Asperger's is they have normal cognitive abilities," Dr. Janice Ware, a psychologist, said. "They have normal IQ, a lot of language, but they have social communication problems."

Last week was the first time many people ever heard about Asperger's, when John Odgren, 16, was accused of stabbing a classmate to death at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School. His attorney says he has this disorder.

So, is violence a characteristic of Asperger's?

"That is not a hallmark or a characteristic of children with Asperger's Disorder," Dr. Ware said.

"Never violent, never, not aggressive at all," Attenazio said. "He's a real joy to have he really is."

Attenazio says she worries people will be left with a negative impression of kids with Asperger's, and she hopes Ajay and other Asperger's children are given the chance they deserve.

"Believe me, if you walked up to a child with Asperger's and started talking to them and you got to know them, you wouldn't be disappointed," Attenazio said. "I guarantee it. You'd make yourself a new friend."

Right up until he stabs you to death.....

sorry...couldn't resist that line....

I'm not sure what they are saying here. It sounds liek the lawyer want to use it for a defense and blame the symptomm and not the kid and the doctors and others are saying the disorder is not violent.

So, who do you believe?

I'm not sure what they are saying here. It sounds liek the lawyer want to use it for a defense and blame the symptomm and not the kid and the doctors and others are saying the disorder is not violent.

So, who do you believe?

Umm, you're asking whether to believe the doctor or the lawyer? Apologies to the lawyers here, but puhleez..

One of my nephews has this. Absolutely NO violent behavior at all. Just the opposite. In fact, pretty geeky. Very nice kid.

Meaning your pointless, sensationalist shot regarding something you know next to nothing about. Stellar work...[slap]

I'm not sure what they are saying here. It sounds liek [sic] the lawyer want [sic] to use it for a defense and blame the symptomm [sic] and not the kid and the doctors and others are saying the disorder is not violent.

The lawyer stated a fact - period. That the boy has Asperger's is not challenged. MOreover, it's a disorder; not a "symptomm." There was NO mention of using it as an affirmative defense, your knee-jerk reaction notwithstanding.

So, who do you believe?

Those who actually have a clue regarding the full facts of the case...[rolleyes]

We have a nephew also with Aspbergers. He has like a photographic memory. Violence no, his older brother does pick on him, but never seen him get violent.

I've worked with kids (almost always boys) with Asperger's. I have never encountered a violent Asperger's kid. Most are very, very bright and tend to be more argumentative than violent. The greatest challenge with this disorder is overcoming one typical Asperger's indicator: social awkwardness. These kids have trouble understanding that certain behavior is socially inappropriate, for example, nose picking or body scratching. Personal hygiene is also an issue with some. But violence--I don't think so. This seems like SKSGuns is trying to justify bad behavior and blame it on a condition. [thinking]

Last edited:
IMO, and you can call me cruel if you want, it's nothing but an excuse... He killed someone plain and simple. Death Penalty...

My wife is a teacher and has an 8th grader with AS. I've heard about him, and she's never mentioned anything about violence. The opposite actually, as others have mentioned.

However, it is very hard for the kid to 'fit in', and he doesn't concern himself with trying... as it doesn't register with him that he could/should. He simply can not make eye contact with anyone. Very hard to teach. Most of the kids with AS have some 'rain man' like ability such as photographic memory or really good at math or music.

My wife is a teacher and has an 8th grader with AS. I've heard about him, and she's never mentioned anything about violence. The opposite actually, as others have mentioned.

However, it is very hard for the kid to 'fit in', and he doesn't concern himself with trying... as it doesn't register with him that he could/should. He simply can not make eye contact with anyone. Very hard to teach. Most of the kids with AS have some 'rain man' like ability such as photographic memory or really good at math or music.
Your right as far as hard to fit in. Our nephew doesn't try or care.

Meaning your pointless, sensationalist shot regarding something you know next to nothing about. Stellar work...[slap] ]

Actually I knew absolutely nothing about it until this incident.

The lawyer stated a fact - period. That the boy has Asperger's is not challenged. MOreover, it's a disorder; not a "symptomm." There was NO mention of using it as an affirmative defense, your knee-jerk reaction notwithstanding.]

Well, true but you know how lawyers are as they usually try to always manipulate the facts to free their clients.

Those who actually have a clue regarding the full facts of the case...[rolleyes]

Just because violent behavior hasn't been documented before with this disorder doesn't mean this kid wasn't violent because of it or a medication he was taking because of it. So I was curious in that regard as I know absolutely nothing about this disorder.

Thanks for setting me straight. You're the best!!!!

We used to have a different term for it "social misfit" If any of us could draw a pistol as fast as a Doctor pulls a prescription pad.........

There are no meds for Aspbergers. Now if there is adhd and such associated them maybe there are meds involved. My nephew isn't on meds.

I guess there is some little tiny pill that doctors sometimes prescribe to lawyers to use sometimes when they have jury trials. It settles their nerves and calms them down so they can talk in front of large groups of people. For anxiety due to social situations and such. I guess maybe I was thinking of that....

I guess there is some little tiny pill that doctors sometimes prescribe to lawyers to use sometimes when they have jury trials. It settles their nerves and calms them down so they can talk in front of large groups of people. For anxiety due to social situations and such. I guess maybe I was thinking of that....

Waiting for Scriveners no doubt piercing reply to this comment.

And that's related to Asperger's HOW?

Other than your desperate need to use this tragic incident to flout your personal biases, of course.

You could write for a newspaper!

A dear friend of mine has an older boy with Asperger's, and other than being shy and not having great social skills, he's a terrific kid.

I was a special education teacher for a few years and had several students with Aspergers.People with it have a difficult time socializing and interacting with others as often it manifests itself through a quick temper and irritability in cases where it wouldn't even come close to be warranted.The danger isn't so much someone with Aspergers becoming violent IME but rather that someone else takes offense to their behavior and escalates a situation that can easily be walked away from.

AS is not an excuse. It's reality, and it is a tough ride for those that have it.
Whether or not you want to hang or excuse the killer, if that is what you want,
fine, but don't for a minute think that these people have the self control a
'normal' person does. It just isn't so. There are different degrees of AS and
in its most acute form it is truly tragic for the affected, which includes the
caretakers of that person. In its milder forms it's still a very big problem.

TBP

Back
Top Bottom