• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

As heard at the gun store

A kid was describing pistols to his buddy at the Foxboro Bass Pro yesterday.

"If you want one for self defense, you should go with the M&P .45 because that'll give you a one-shot kill."

"What about this one?"

"The Beretta is a 9mm, and you don't want that for self defense because it's a two-shot kill."

ohlord.gif
facepalm.gif

I carried an m16 in the jungles of Okinawa, Guam, Thailand and in the deserts of 29 palms CA, and Iraq. I find with basic maintenance that it is a solid platform...there are issues with stopping power at distance but I've also seen it drop plenty of jihadis at 500-600 yards as well. The 7.62 NATO would have more stopping power but the .50cal would beat that and a 183mm SMAW NE round beats that!

Question then becomes: what are you gonna carry if YOU have to hump the rifle AND it's ammo? I'll be fine with my m4...most engagements happen 100 yards and in anyways

The one gripe I have with this is average engagement distance varies by conflict. In Afghanistan often you are seeing at least 300 yards.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

"If you want one for self defense, you should go with the M&P .45 because that'll give you a one-shot kill."

"What about this one?"

"The Beretta is a 9mm, and you don't want that for self defense because it's a two-shot kill."
You know, my dad used to take us to the airport to sit in the car while we watched the planes land over us and listened to his aviation band radio... I think I'll start setting up a chair at the gun counter in Bass Pro for the entertainment factor.

"What about this one?"

Mind numbing.

This one really pissed me off. My buddy just got his LTC. We go gun shopping. There only three stores worthwhile in the West Springfield area. I'm sure anyone around here can guess which one gave bad advise. They had a recent name change. It was my first time back since the new owners, and I was hoping things were different.

We stop at this store, he finds a semi auto shotgun for a real good price, and grabs it. As he's doing paperwork, I grab him a soft case, and a lock that fits the zippers. The girl rings us all up, and as we're packing everything up, one of the new (I think) owners says, "You need a hard case for that."

I respond, "Mass law makes no distinction between hard and soft cases. It simply says you need a locked case. It doesn't even define what a case is. And there is no case law to back up what is an acceptable case."

He replies, "Well police are waiting outside local shooting ranges and checking peoples cars as they leave, and taking away the guns and licenses if they're not in hard cases."

At this point, I simply say, "Well, agree to disagree." And we walk out with out soft case and padlock. I really wanted to get into illegal search and seizure, profiling, how I haven't seen this at any of the 3 local ranges I belong to, etc. But instead I'll just go to the other local stores.

I think he was just trying to sell more expensive hard cases. Sucks for him, because that caused him to miss out on the my 1911 and my buddies MP9c that we bought later that day in Agawam.

When I took my ar to the shop up the street from my house. I brought a 30 rond pre ban mag to sell it with . He sees the mag and says ooohh cant have that its illegal. I say it a pre ban mag. He says even pre ban are now illegal. This was a couple weeks ago.

The culprit shall remain nameless, but a few months ago at a certain shop here in MA I inquired as to whether they had any GSG 1911-22 magazines for sale by any miracle of a chance. I was told "No, those are illegal in this state."

[rolleyes]

The culprit shall remain nameless, but a few months ago at a certain shop here in MA I inquired as to whether they had any GSG 1911-22 magazines for sale by any miracle of a chance. I was told "No, those are illegal in this state."

[rolleyes]

Come on, you know you want to tell us. [laugh]

i was looking high and low for a "just right" 20 gauge shotgun. i was in sports authority and asked to see the remington they had behind the counter. the following conversation took place:
me: can i see the 20 gauge?
clerk: sure...(hands me a 12 gauge)
me: no, the 20 please
c: what's the difference?
me: about 8 gauges
c: ok, that's really good to know, you know, in case somebody else ever asks me.
me: nevermind....(as i leave shaking my head)

3 weeks ago:

Me: "Hi do you guys have any 5.45x39 in stock"

Guy behind the counter: " No we don't carry that because it's an uncommon round"

[rofl]

I Miss when four seasons had quality customer service.

It is compared to a 5.56 or 7.62. I own two 10mm had guns, that doesn't mean I expect every store to stock ammo for it. Look on the wall and see how many rifles are chambered in 5.45 next time you're in a random shop compared to 5.56/7.62. If you really want the ammo, either buy it yourself online or place an order through the shop and wait the week or so it takes to get there.

mossberg is the ak 47 of the shotgun world.

a little crude ,but it is a tool that works just fine and reliable and accurate.
plenty of low cost parts available too.

there is nothing you can't do with a mossberg vs. any other shotgun.

Me: "Hi Do you have any .44 magnum ammo? I was looking around but didn't see any on the shelves, maybe there's some out back?"

Gun shop clerk: Walks over to the same ammo shelf I was looking at. Picks up one box of 20, shows it to me and asks. "Will this fit?"

(It was a box of .41) [sad] ???

Me: "Hi Do you have any .44 magnum ammo? I was looking around but didn't see any on the shelves, maybe there's some out back?"

Gun shop clerk: Walks over to the same ammo shelf I was looking at. Picks up one box of 20, shows it to me and asks. "Will this fit?"

(It was a box of .41) [sad] ???

My question would be why does he have a box of .41mag, that ammo was probably made before I was born [laugh]

mossberg is the ak 47 of the shotgun world.

a little crude ,but it is a tool that works just fine and reliable and accurate.
plenty of low cost parts available too.

there is nothing you can't do with a mossberg vs. any other shotgun.

I have an 835, it shares a lot of parts with the 590. Probably the best shotgun I've owned so far.

When I took my ar to the shop up the street from my house. I brought a 30 rond pre ban mag to sell it with . He sees the mag and says ooohh cant have that its illegal. I say it a pre ban mag. He says even pre ban are now illegal. This was a couple weeks ago.

Another idiot... What shop was this?

I didn't ask what it was compared to. I asked if they had it. Given that they are one of the highest volume gun shops around I figured they would. I don't expect them to be able to suit all my need and all they had to do was say no but to say that it's not a common round is just a blatant lie. I have 2 10MM's too and they had that in stock. I'm sure they would sell more 5.45 than 10mm

I think the only place that I know of in MA thats stocked 5.45x39 for as long as i can remember is collectors. the rest of the shops dont get 5.45x39 from their distributors, so they dont think that the rifle round is popular.

well, it is. most gun stores in MA are retarded and only put out what their distributors spoon feed them.

AIMsurplus had a blog last year saying that 5.45x39 out sold 7.62x39 by over 10 times the volume.

When I put my Tantal on consignment at NSF, I was able to ask for a completely asinine amount of money for it, and it sold in like 5 hours. I don't get why more stores in MA dont sell MA complaint 74's. they are a part of the market that is completely ignored.

no offense meant to anyone at all, but when in FS i didnt find it to be a good store...at all. They sure do great deals, but the store is small, the help is slow, and its in a shitty spot. JMO tho, take it with a grain of salt or sugar depending how you like your margarita.

i meant the literal store itself in the building, it looks shady and has a tiny ass parking lot for all the venues in the rear of the building. Yeah its in a great spot geographically in relation to the freeways and the massdyke.

i meant the literal store itself in the building, it looks shady and has a tiny ass parking lot for all the venues in the rear of the building. Yeah its in a great spot geographically in relation to the freeways and the massdyke.

How shady can a gun shop look when you can see the Woburn PD from the parking lot?

Back
Top Bottom