As heard at the gun store

A guy walking out of Collectors just picked up a Savage 308 with bipod and scope, and gets asked by Jerry, " are you heading up to NH to go hunting?".

He replied with "No, I'm heading to Dorchester!" and laughed. I chuckled but the owners of CCG didn't know how to react.

Only in a gun shop!

Going to Dorchester and wanted to be safe, or going to Dorchester for hunting?

You think a .308 rifle with a bipod is enough gun to be safe in Dorchester?

During the '04 DNC in Boston, my workplace was right in the middle of the festivities. We had snipers on the roof, enough sat equipment in the parking lot to have a pig roast, etc.

I clearly remember the DNC web site waxing rhapsodic over the many delights of Boston. The swan pond on the Common, walking paths along the river, Quincy Marketplace of course and also the lovely, multicultural villages of Dorchester and Roslindale, to mention some. I choose to remember the Dorchester described by the DNC rather than the drug and crime infested hell hole that *you* obviously see it as.

I'm sure that any of could walk into these communities and be greeted with smiles and open arms.

get a 12GA instead, because even Hellen Keller could hit with it because you don't need to aim.

Jesus Christ, I've heard this a thousand times. It's a shotgun, not a claymore.

And the next time some nitwit brings up the overpenetration issue, remind him that 12ga buckshot has a muzzle velocity between 1100 and 1200 fps.

9mm is about the same.

Sheetrock isn't stopping either one.

During the '04 DNC in Boston, my workplace was right in the middle of the festivities. We had snipers on the roof, enough sat equipment in the parking lot to have a pig roast, etc.

I clearly remember the DNC web site waxing rhapsodic over the many delights of Boston. The swan pond on the Common, walking paths along the river, Quincy Marketplace of course and also the lovely, multicultural villages of Dorchester and Roslindale, to mention some. I choose to remember the Dorchester described by the DNC rather than the drug and crime infested hell hole that *you* obviously see it as.

I'm sure that any of could walk into these communities and be greeted with smiles and open arms.

Boston is right up there with LA on my most hated places. They are such shitholes it isn't even funny. I avoid them like the plague. I always told my parents that when I buy my own house, I will buy it so that when I throw a rock, I can't hit my neighbor's house. But now it's "I want to move to where I can't hit my neighbor's house with a 750gr 50BMG round."

- - - Updated - - -

FIFY

Thank you. It's been a long week and I am half asleep. I am glad you made it less killy though. I don't want to shoot at any house to make myself clear. If anyone knows a house that is getting demolished in the future, I think a "NES house shoot" would be a dream come true for many of us.

Thank you. It's been a long week and I am half asleep. I am glad you made it less killy though. I don't want to shoot at any house to make myself clear. If anyone knows a house that is getting demolished in the future, I think a "NES house shoot" would be a dream come true for many of us.

From what I've seen, most NESers would be hard pressed to hit the side of a house.

Annoying shit at the gun shop #65,536....

"The army is gonna replace the M4/M9/M16/SAW/M60/M2 with (insert the gun du jour here) " The army is gonna go back to the .45 and the .308 and 6.8 SPC and not use 5.56 anymore and and and blah blah blah..

JUST SHUT UP ALREADY about it. It's NOT HAPPENING. Come back and start talking about it when you have a pic/movie of an Infantry guy in theater, actually shooting towels with it in Iraq or Afganistan. Not before. I'm sick of hearing endless fapping about military small arms platforms that will never get adopted 99% of the time. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Already been done, don't think we could ever top this.... ever.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite gun store is Blue Northern in Ayer. One of the many reasons why it's my favorite store is that sometimes when you ask one of the guys - either Bill, Ron, Tom, Billy, or Dave- a question, they'll say, "I don't know". Followed up by, "I'll find out for you."

Imagine that? People at a gun store that actually won't knowingly give you bad advice.

One of many reasons I like Blue Northern and every time we are down in that neck of the woods we always have to stop in.

"The army is gonna replace the M4/M9/M16/SAW/M60/M2 with (insert the gun du jour here) " The army is gonna go back to the .45 and the .308 and 6.8 SPC and not use 5.56 anymore and and and blah blah blah..
]

-Mike

Most of these rumors come from the Army itself. A guy I work with is fond of leaving the Army Times newspaper in the shitter and once or twice a month they always run a front page story about the new guns being tested and how they will revolutionize the modern battlefield, blahblahblah.

The Marines going back to the 1911 (stupid idea IMO. There are better platforms for the .45) has only furthered speculation about other weapons.

And the next time some nitwit brings up the overpenetration issue, remind him that 12ga buckshot has a muzzle velocity between 1100 and 1200 fps.

9mm is about the same.

At least the claymore tells you which way to point it.

9mm is about the same.

+1

If you're too crappy a shot to hit someone with a handgun from 7' you weren't going to get close enough to stop 'em with a shotgun either. Anything that can't penetrate sheetrock isn't going to stop an intruder either otherwise we'd be discussing the latest in home defense BB guns.

]

-Mike
Most of these rumors come from the Army itself. A guy I work with is fond of leaving the Army Times newspaper in the shitter and once or twice a month they always run a front page story about the new guns being tested and how they will revolutionize the modern battlefield, blahblahblah.

The Marines going back to the 1911 (stupid idea IMO. There are better platforms for the .45) has only furthered speculation about other weapons.

The only truth to this that I have seen is the special forces converting to the 6.8, and that was an optional change for them, primarily due to the better ballistics of that round. Most of those guys use their own weapons any way, the few I saw during my deployment were wielding all sorts of odd ball firearms. I think I saw one that had an m4, and that thing was completely custom.

I'm still hoping the Army will pull it's head out of it's fourth point of contact and change back to the .45 and give us something better than the m16... I'm not a huge fan of a weapon that stops working if inclement weather hits. And before anyone says "but my ar-15 doesn't have problem xyz", the ar-15 is a civilian made weapon, the m16 is made by the lowest bidder and has entirely too many parts that can go wrong; the 5.56 has been combat proven time and time again to not kill on impact(spalling away from vital organs, even on a good hit in a lethal area), and the number of ftf due to bad lots of ammo is almost scary. I spoke to a guy in Kuwait who was on his way back after a long stay in Germany who shot a guy who was shooting at his team, he shot the guy in the head and the guy got up and tried to run away. The m60 was the only reason the guy didn't get away clean. The reason the 5.56 didn't stop the guy? The bullet hit him in the forehead as he looked up at a rooftop and ricocheted up, knocking the guy out for a few seconds.

F***in useless round in an overly complex weapon, wielded by people who are not allowed to know how to take it down completely for proper cleaning. Give me a 7.62/30-06/308 lapua, throw me a scope, point me at the bad guy, and get the **** out of my way.

I've heard very little of operational issues with the modern m16/m4 platform, and seen very few as well. The few times my company used them overseas they ran fine. I've also seen minimal issues during training, and those that do arise are almost always magazine related, or related to a screwed up gun...as to the ballistics of the m855 cartridge, thats a whole other story, but I've heard mixed things.

The military and its "news" sources definitely perpetuate these new gun rumors. That said, my company did field IARs, which in the end were just pretty much stock HK416s. I've got nothing bad to say about them, nor do the gunners, though I question if they are worth 6x the cost of a full auto m4.

Mike

The only issue I have heard about the 5.56 is its performance at long range, against people using 7.62 with its heavier round with a bit more reach. I have seen an article talking about some M14's being reworked and issued to deal with it that problem, but only once, and I have no idea where I read it.

The only truth to this that I have seen is the special forces converting to the 6.8, and that was an optional change for them, primarily due to the better ballistics of that round. Most of those guys use their own weapons any way, the few I saw during my deployment were wielding all sorts of odd ball firearms. I think I saw one that had an m4, and that thing was completely custom.

I'm still hoping the Army will pull it's head out of it's fourth point of contact and change back to the .45 and give us something better than the m16... I'm not a huge fan of a weapon that stops working if inclement weather hits. And before anyone says "but my ar-15 doesn't have problem xyz", the ar-15 is a civilian made weapon, the m16 is made by the lowest bidder and has entirely too many parts that can go wrong; the 5.56 has been combat proven time and time again to not kill on impact(spalling away from vital organs, even on a good hit in a lethal area), and the number of ftf due to bad lots of ammo is almost scary. I spoke to a guy in Kuwait who was on his way back after a long stay in Germany who shot a guy who was shooting at his team, he shot the guy in the head and the guy got up and tried to run away. The m60 was the only reason the guy didn't get away clean. The reason the 5.56 didn't stop the guy? The bullet hit him in the forehead as he looked up at a rooftop and ricocheted up, knocking the guy out for a few seconds.

F***in useless round in an overly complex weapon, wielded by people who are not allowed to know how to take it down completely for proper cleaning. Give me a 7.62/30-06/308 lapua, throw me a scope, point me at the bad guy, and get the **** out of my way.

I carried an m16 in the jungles of Okinawa, Guam, Thailand and in the deserts of 29 palms CA, and Iraq. I find with basic maintenance that it is a solid platform...there are issues with stopping power at distance but I've also seen it drop plenty of jihadis at 500-600 yards as well. The 7.62 NATO would have more stopping power but the .50cal would beat that and a 183mm SMAW NE round beats that!

Question then becomes: what are you gonna carry if YOU have to hump the rifle AND it's ammo? I'll be fine with my m4...most engagements happen 100 yards and in anyways

The bullet hit him in the forehead as he looked up at a rooftop and ricocheted up, knocking the guy out for a few seconds.

[thinking]

If you shoot a target at a 1° target angle, I suspect that an RPG would have a failure to stop. If that same bullet hit him under the jaw, I bet it would have popped the top of his head off.

B

A kid was describing pistols to his buddy at the Foxboro Bass Pro yesterday.

"If you want one for self defense, you should go with the M&P .45 because that'll give you a one-shot kill."

"What about this one?"

"The Beretta is a 9mm, and you don't want that for self defense because it's a two-shot kill."

"If you want one for self defense, you should go with the M&P .45 because that'll give you a one-shot kill."

"What about this one?"

"The Beretta is a 9mm, and you don't want that for self defense because it's a two-shot kill."

Gotta love it

"What about this one?"

I think I saw them while I was wandering around the gun section admiring their crappy prices

"What about this one?"

Maybe they were talking about call of duty or something [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom