As heard at the gun store

Was just up at Four Seasons this afternoon (only time I've been in and the place wasn't packed to the walls with customers) buying some ammo and drooling over things I want to buy in the case. As I am, I half overhear a customer asking after several guns. I think one was the M&P Shield and there was at least one other. To each request the answer was "I've got one I can show you, but it's not legal to sell in Massachusetts yet." Followed closely by what I bet is the most commonly heard line in a MA gun store: "I hate this state".

"If you carry a concealed pistol, it has to be loaded. It's illegal in MA to carry an unloaded pistol."

For whatever it is or isn't worth there is a convoluted reading of MA law that actually could be used to support that assertion, but I doubt there is any case law that actually backs that up. Even in MA it will be a cold day in hell before someone with an LTC-A gets convicted of "carrying an unloaded handgun".

-Mike

Had a store owner the other day tell me that the CCI .22lr "Quiet-22" (710fps) ammo was "for shooting small varmints in your basement".
The owner of a different store showed me how to load a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 by opening the trap door on the bottom of the magazine and (trying to) fill it from below... [sad2] (Bought the gun; went with a different method of loading, though [grin])

For whatever it is or isn't worth there is a convoluted reading of MA law that actually could be used to support that assertion, but I doubt there is any case law that actually backs that up. Even in MA it will be a cold day in hell before someone with an LTC-A gets convicted of "carrying an unloaded handgun".

-Mike

[wave]

Ha, anyways, yeah I doubt there would be a law saying that carrying an unloaded pistol is illegal. It is not too smart but how could you convict someone based on that? The jury would be all messed up.

Not sure if this qualifies as a stupid thing heard in a gun shop, but it seemed pretty stupid to me.

I posted my SA XD40sc on Armslist and was asking either $350 or a LC9 in trade for it. I get a message from a guy telling me to bring it to so-and-so Gun Shop (not gonna name the shop). I ask if he is the owner, and he replies yes. I figure since he's the owner he'd give me a fair deal knowing what my asking price was. So I drive about 35 minutes to his gun shop, and he starts looking at it and looking in his book. He comes up to me after about 10-15 mins and offers me $219. This pissed me off so badly I will not return to this shop even if they were selling machine guns for $10.

Other than that I've only heard random newbie stuff like "where's the clip go in" and "check out the M16s". Nothing shocking.

In a now-closed shop in Seattle:

Clerk: Can I help you?
Me: just taking a look, I haven't owned any guns for a few years and am getting back into shooting
Clerk: what did you get convicted of? (Serious look on his face)

Walked out, never went back. I had bought 3 of my guns from them over the years, they went out of business less than a year later.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

In a now-closed shop in Seattle:

Clerk: Can I help you?
Me: just taking a look, I haven't owned any guns for a few years and am getting back into shooting
Clerk: what did you get convicted of? (Serious look on his face)

Walked out, never went back. I had bought 3 of my guns from them over the years, they went out of business less than a year later.

Hah what gun shop? I used to work in Bellevue WA before I moved out here last year

As heard in a gun store...

Guy behind the counter: "Yeah, the .50 BMG is a great round. The real trick is finding more than 10 rounds in one place."
Customer: "Really? Why's that?"
Guy: "Well, you can actually find them, but you can't shoot more than 10 in any 24 hour period - it'll actually detach your retinas and make you blind."
Customer: "Wow, that sounds terrible.

I was debating whether to toss in a "Yeah, haven't you seen all of the blind veterans we have around here now? Get into a situation overseas where you've got to keep pulling that trigger, and bye-bye eyesight!"...but I kept my mouth shut.

Had a store owner the other day tell me that the CCI .22lr "Quiet-22" (710fps) ammo was "for shooting small varmints in your basement".

I prefer the CCI shot shells for that. I do like the "Quiet" for target shooting in my basement though. Its less noisy.

MetalgodZ said:
As heard in a gun store...

Guy behind the counter: "Yeah, the .50 BMG is a great round. The real trick is finding more than 10 rounds in one place."
Customer: "Really? Why's that?"
Guy: "Well, you can actually find them, but you can't shoot more than 10 in any 24 hour period - it'll actually detach your retinas and make you blind."
Customer: "Wow, that sounds terrible.

I was debating whether to toss in a "Yeah, haven't you seen all of the blind veterans we have around here now? Get into a situation overseas where you've got to keep pulling that trigger, and bye-bye eyesight!"...but I kept my mouth shut.

Odd...I could swear I can actually SEE that post [wink]

Not sure if this qualifies as a stupid thing heard in a gun shop, but it seemed pretty stupid to me.

I posted my SA XD40sc on Armslist and was asking either $350 or a LC9 in trade for it. I get a message from a guy telling me to bring it to so-and-so Gun Shop (not gonna name the shop). I ask if he is the owner, and he replies yes. I figure since he's the owner he'd give me a fair deal knowing what my asking price was. So I drive about 35 minutes to his gun shop, and he starts looking at it and looking in his book. He comes up to me after about 10-15 mins and offers me $219. This pissed me off so badly I will not return to this shop even if they were selling machine guns for $10.

Other than that I've only heard random newbie stuff like "where's the clip go in" and "check out the M16s". Nothing shocking.

Are you still interested in selling it?

Hah what gun shop? I used to work in Bellevue WA before I moved out here last year

Central Loan down on first, in the 90s it was a fun place to stop and check out guns, with Warshal's right next door. By the 2000s it was pretty lame...

Central Loan down on first, in the 90s it was a fun place to stop and check out guns, with Warshal's right next door. By the 2000s it was pretty lame...

Ah, for sure. I was in kindergarten in the early 90's. [laugh]
If you are ever in Bellevue, you should check out West Coast Armory, right off I-90. (It's closer to Factoria)
I just won a Stag Arms lower through them and they shipped it out to my FFL here in Mass. It's a fairly new shop and it has a fantastic indoor shooting range. They also have a "pro shop" in Issaquah.

Ah, for sure. I was in kindergarten in the early 90's. [laugh]
If you are ever in Bellevue, you should check out West Coast Armory, right off I-90. (It's closer to Factoria)
I just won a Stag Arms lower through them and they shipped it out to my FFL here in Mass. It's a fairly new shop and it has a fantastic indoor shooting range. They also have a "pro shop" in Issaquah.

I've been in there a couple of times, they're a class act. My LGS is Adventure Sports in Lynnwood: good guys with great customer service.

Recently I was on the phone with a helpful sales person at a good LGS to ask for details on a couple used Colt AR-15s they had for sale. The sales person mentioned that the receivers were stamped .223 and thus couldn't safely use 5.56 ammo. I'm not a AR guru, to say the least, but I said that I was surprised, wasn't aware that Colt made ARs for .223 only. He assured me they did (and maybe that's actually the case?). In any event, later I was in the store looking over one of the used Colts and a different--and very helpful--sales person pointed out the .223 stamped on the receiver and advised that the rifle should only be used with .223 ammo. I pointed out where 5.56 was stamped on the barrel, asked if that indicated the rifle could be used with both. Apparently he hadn't noticed the barrel stamping. He flagged down another sales person, asked him about the .223 on the receiver, and the second fellow, too, said it meant the rifle was limited to that caliber. At that point, I showed the second fellow the 5.56 on the barrel, whereupon he also was unsure of the significance, wondered if the original .223 barrel had been switched out. Finally, a third sales person chimed in and stated confidently that the rifle shoots .223 and 5.56. As I said, this shop is very good. This little incident doesn't fundamentally change my estimation of it. All three of the salesmen have no doubt forgotten more about ARs than I know. This incident, and others described in this thread, probably just go to show what a challenge it is to find and train staff to deal with the technical and legal complexities of firearms.

Last edited:
My favorite gun store is Blue Northern in Ayer. One of the many reasons why it's my favorite store is that sometimes when you ask one of the guys - either Bill, Ron, Tom, Billy, or Dave- a question, they'll say, "I don't know". Followed up by, "I'll find out for you."

Imagine that? People at a gun store that actually won't knowingly give you bad advice.

Been there a few times and not sure of the names of people yet but always very nice and friendly

Recently I was on the phone with a helpful sales person at a good LGS to ask for details on a couple used Colt AR-15s they had for sale. The sales person mentioned that the receivers were stamped .223 and thus couldn't safely use 5.56 ammo. I'm not a AR guru, to say the least, but I said that I was surprised, wasn't aware that Colt made ARs for .223 only. He assured me they did (and maybe that's actually the case?). In any event, later I was in the store looking over one of the used Colts and a different--and very helpful--sales person pointed out the .223 stamped on the receiver and advised that the rifle should only be used with .223 ammo. I pointed out where 5.56 was stamped on the barrel, asked if that indicated the rifle could be used with both. Apparently he hadn't noticed the barrel stamping. He flagged down another sales person, asked him about the .223 on the receiver, and the second fellow, too, said it meant the rifle was limited to that caliber. At that point, I showed the second fellow the 5.56 on the barrel, whereupon he also was unsure of the significance, wondered if the original .223 barrel had been switched out. Finally, a third sales person chimed in and stated confidently that the rifle shoots .223 and 5.56. As I said, this shop is very good. This little incident doesn't fundamentally change my estimation of it. All three of the salesmen have no doubt forgotten more about ARs than I know. This incident, and others described in this thread, probably just go to show what a challenge it is to find and train staff to deal with the technical and legal complexities of firearms.
i am not sure but i thought i remebered reading that the caliber designation had more to do with chamber pressure.......i hope somebody comes along to correct me if i am wrong.

The barrel is the determining factor, NOT the marking on the lower. Since an AR is "Legos for big kids" you can change uppers to shoot a bunch of different calibers.

Chamber size and cartridge length is slightly different between .223 and 5.56. W/o checking some resources, I don't recall which one off the top of my head creates a pressure danger by being used in the other, so I'll defer to one of our AR gurus for that response to your question.

The barrel is the determining factor, NOT the marking on the lower. Since an AR is "Legos for big kids" you can change uppers to shoot a bunch of different calibers.

Chamber size and cartridge length is slightly different between .223 and 5.56. W/o checking some resources, I don't recall which one off the top of my head creates a pressure danger by being used in the other, so I'll defer to one of our AR gurus for that response to your question.

The pressure spec for .556 is slightly higher and the OAL max is (I think) a bit longer. Most AR15's are chambered to safely handle both (excluding, of course, 9mm ARs, 50 Beowolf, etc.)

A guy walking out of Collectors just picked up a Savage 308 with bipod and scope, and gets asked by Jerry, " are you heading up to NH to go hunting?".

He replied with "No, I'm heading to Dorchester!" and laughed. I chuckled but the owners of CCG didn't know how to react.

Only in a gun shop!

A guy walking out of Collectors just picked up a Savage 308 with bipod and scope, and gets asked by Jerry, " are you heading up to NH to go hunting?".

He replied with "No, I'm heading to Dorchester!" and laughed. I chuckled but the owners of CCG didn't know how to react.

Only in a gun shop!

Crap, now everyone will know why I got that Savage 116 30-06 with bipod and scope! The jig is up! Abandon ship!

I'm still waiting to be asked why I bought a "sniper rifle".

I was in a local gun store yesterday chatting with the owner when a young woman (in her 20's probably) walked in and started looking around at the guns. She was very nice and asked a few questions about various handguns she had her eye on. When she was ready to leave she asked the owner if he had any .22 hollow points for sale. She said that she didn't have any at home, so she could not carry her .22 CCW. When the store owner asked to explain her reasoning, she said "I was told that its against the law to carry a gun that was not loaded with hollow points." She also said that her boyfriend was not carrying his 9mm CCW because he had shot the last of his hollow point ammo at the range. They only had "regular" ammo at home.

Surprisingly, this is not the first time I have heard someone repeat this. Where is this coming from????

she said "I was told that its against the law to carry a gun that was not loaded with hollow points."
Surprisingly, this is not the first time I have heard someone repeat this. Where is this coming from????

I have never heard that but I would throw out a guess that some dimwit came up with the idea that it must be illegal to carry FMJ's for self defense rounds because of the possibility of ricochet or over-penetration? I won't carry any type of HP ammo in anything below 9x19.

I was in a local gun store yesterday chatting with the owner when a young woman (in her 20's probably) walked in and started looking around at the guns. She was very nice and asked a few questions about various handguns she had her eye on. When she was ready to leave she asked the owner if he had any .22 hollow points for sale. She said that she didn't have any at home, so she could not carry her .22 CCW. When the store owner asked to explain her reasoning, she said "I was told that its against the law to carry a gun that was not loaded with hollow points." She also said that her boyfriend was not carrying his 9mm CCW because he had shot the last of his hollow point ammo at the range. They only had "regular" ammo at home.

I've heard this multiple times. I think because it's uncommon therefore people just don't know. I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a FMJ 9mm. Or any caliber for that matter. Maybe a 80gr .380 FMJ. [wink]

Kidding, please don't shoot me.

Also said there was no form of Castle law whatsoever in MA, and that even in your own home you will go to jail if you don't retreat.

You don't need to retreat. You should, however, expect to be treated like you just committed a crime, possibly to the point of having to defend yourself in court.

That said, defend yourself and loved ones first. Worry about the aftermath later.

At a gun shop over the line in NH with the wife and daughter. We were looking at handguns and the guy behind the counter said not to get a handgun for home defense because of over penetration issues and to get a 12GA instead, because even Hellen Keller could hit with it because you don't need to aim. Also said there was no form of Castle law whatsoever in MA, and that even in your own home you will go to jail if you don't retreat. So much fail. His general attitude made my wife feel like he looked down on females owning guns.

Sounds like a POS to me. I can't stand the sexist commentary I hear not only in gun stores. Women can defend themselves too, and they need just as much if not more protection (children, single mothers etc.) than men. And as far as the Castle Law, MA has a stand your ground law.

M.G.L. Ch. 278, Sec. 8A states:

In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling.

Note that it is a "defense" not a get out of jail free or don't go to jail card. You must properly raise the defense. As such, you could still be prosecuted as to whether or not an objective person would reasonably believe the intruder was about to inflict great bodily injury.

If you shoot to kill, there will be no one with evidence to counter what you say...

Back
Top Bottom